Dandy Dozen (Memphis & Surrounding Area)

kwc

1. Whitehaven ...................... Class 6A, District 16

2. MUS .................................. Class D2-AA, West

3. Olive Branch (MS) ............. Class 6A, MHSAA

4. West Memphis (AR) .......... Class 6A, AHSAA

5. CBHS ................................ Class D2-AA, West

6. Mitchell ............................. Class 5A, District 16

7. Wooddale ........................ Class 6A, District 15

8. Briarcrest ......................... Class D2-AA, West

9. Melrose ............................ Class 5A, District 16

10. White Station ................. Class 6A, District 16

11. ECS ................................ Class D2-A, West

12. Germantown .................. Class 6A, District 15

For those who don't live in the Memphis area let me give you a little information. The Memphis area's newspaper, the Commercial Appeal, for Dandy Dozen purposes, will consider those schools in North Mississippi and Western Arkansas for consideration to be in the list because of their close proximity to our fair city.

Another thing to consider when analysing the list is to consider the pool from which the list is comprised. This list considers every level of classification for public and private schools. The list of districts from which the public schools are selected mainly comes from Districts 14 through 16. This is especially the case in class 5A and 6A. It varies as you go through the lower classifications.

With that being said .... any comments?

Opps ... I meant to supply the link the the article in the CA earlier. I appologize folks.

Go here. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/18/prep-football-preview-2010-the-dandy-dozen/

Edited by kwc

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Whitehaven ...................... Class 6A, District 16

2. MUS .................................. Class D2-AA, West

3. Olive Branch (MS) ............. Class 6A, MHSAA

4. West Memphis (AR) .......... Class 6A, AHSAA

5. CBHS ................................ Class D2-AA, West

6. Mitchell ............................. Class 5A, District 16

7. Wooddale ........................ Class 6A, District 15

8. Briarcrest ......................... Class D2-AA, West

9. Melrose ............................ Class 5A, District 16

10. White Station ................. Class 6A, District 16

11. ECS ................................ Class D2-A, West

12. Germantown .................. Class 6A, District 15

With that being said .... any comments?

Pretty decent opening poll.

At this point, about the only things that jump out at me...it's this:

---------------------------------------------

Melrose = Out!.... Melrose appears to be considerably WEAKER than last year, especially defensively!!!

Melrose seriously looks like only a 4 or 5-win team this year. No exaggeration. As a matter of fact, I won't be shocked to see them start the season with 1-win (maybe) and 4 losses! If that happens, then don't be surprised to see the wheels completely fall off!! The Orange Mound Community will likely DEMAND that the Head Coach be run out of town, on a rail!!!!

While I could turn out to be wrong, Melrose just does not look like a very good football team this year.

---------------------------------------------------------

Ridgeway = In!... Ridgeway appears much STRONGER than last year!

RW absolutely MANHANDLED Melrose during the Jamboree. Both teams appeared to play its starters! RW really appears to have a pretty good team this year, capable of making a deep playoff run. Watch out for the Roadrunners this season, seriously!!!

Melrose = Out!.... Melrose appears to be considerably WEAKER than last year, especially defensively!!!

Melrose seriously looks like only a 4 or 5-win team this year. No exaggeration. As a matter of fact, I won't be shocked to see them start the season with 1-win (maybe) and 4 losses! If that happens, then don't be surprised to see the wheels completely fall off!! The Orange Mound Community will likely DEMAND that the Head Coach be run out of town, on a rail!!!!

While I could turn out to be wrong, Melrose just does not look like a very good football team this year.

RW absolutely MANHANDLED Melrose during the Jamboree. Both teams appeared to play its starters! RW really appears to have a pretty good team this year, capable of making a deep playoff run. Watch out for the Roadrunners this season, seriously!!!

TraderB,

Don't count my Golden Wildcats out too fast. We might have a rabbit or 2 up our sleeves! You are surely right about Orange Mound going bonkers if things go bad.

OMW

Agreed. Ridgeway should be in this. White Station should be nowhere near this poll from what I have heard. Not too sure about Wooddale being as high as they are either. It seems like this poll is based too much upon what teams did last year. But I agree with the top spot hands down.

I actually agree with Wooddale being that high in the poll and with the opinions on Ridgeway being in the Dandy Dozen as well, but there wasn't much time being put into this poll obviously, but after week 1 things will become clear. IMO, Wooddale looked the best at last Saturday's jamboree with a power running game and sound defense.

I actually agree with Wooddale being that high in the poll and with the opinions on Ridgeway being in the Dandy Dozen as well, but there wasn't much time being put into this poll obviously, but after week 1 things will become clear. IMO, Wooddale looked the best at last Saturday's jamboree with a power running game and sound defense.

That's some pretty high praise for Woodale, especially since the Commercial Appeal's #1 team (Whitehaven) also played that night!

I'm looking forward to seeing Woodale. By the sound of it, their defense was a bit more solid than Ridgeway's.

Woodale plays at Kirby on Sept 3rd...... While I won't get to check it out, that should be a very exciting and high-scoring game -- based on what I saw from Kirby vs White Station during the Jamboree......... Kirby LOVES to throw the ball. Their QB is as smooth as silk, deadly accurate and as poised as a bomb detonator! Plus, his WR (#1) has hands like velcro and excellent after-the-catch. Kirby's run-defense was a bit suspect, however.

-----------------------------------

Question:

What's your assessment of East, their strengths (beyond RB, Kimbrow) and weakness? Are they going to be be any good this year?

Edited by TraderB

TraderB,

Don't count my Golden Wildcats out too fast. We might have a rabbit or 2 up our sleeves! You are surely right about Orange Mound going bonkers if things go bad.

OMW

I tell you what, OMW-- if Melrose's horrific Jamboree performance is any barometer, then the Golden Wildcats are gonna' need an ENTIRE LITTER of Rabbits! They were just flat out awful. I'm sorry, but -- there is just no other way to put it.

Good luck to your Golden Wildcats, though. I've always enjoyed watching them play... I strongly suspect, however, that the players are gonna have to do a whole bunch of gut-checking this season, likely beyond anything that's been experienced @ Melrose over the past decade.

The Haven still is out looking for RESPECT... This Preseason poll is very flattering in all we still must go out there each and every Friday and/or Saturday night and make plays. I hope that we can be # 1 in December because in all actuality that's all that matters!!!

:popcorneater:

Don't be surprised at anything that Da Haven does this season!!!

RESPECT THE HAVEN

I'm going to toss in my two cents.

It seems to me, that without any games being played, that MUS would have been the concensus #1 in the preseason poll. With MUS currently being 26-0 over the past two seasons ... they are king until further notice. But hey, ... that's just me.

As far as the other teams and where they are listed ... I haven't a clue. I haven't been to any scrimmages or jamborees, therfore, I have nothing to add to the discussion in that regard.

OMW ... good to see you on the board my man. Don't be no stranger! ... By the way ... how's your son doing? I know you've been to a few games. Tell the truth ... you ova there in TX having a blast aren't you? You know ... you need to update me my man ... it's been a while since you and I have had a time to catch up.

Edited by kwc

Memphis89

Cut my man Jason some slack will ya? I happen to think he puts in his due dilligence. He can't make it to all of the scrimmages and whatnot like some of us can. Besides ... it's only preseason.