Would CAK schedule Alcoa if they did not have to?

Old Warhorse

I would like to say yes because Coach Bradley would want to get the experience. but who knows...

PS...I dont see teams lining up to play CAK either and with the playoffs on the line it will be harder for smaller teams(division that is) to find people to play.

What I would like to see is a double header with CAK and ALCOA playing two teams from Nashville or Chattanooga at a neutral site on the same day. Maybe the Sat. of Week 0 (kinda like the Knoxville vs Morristown). Would be interested to see if there would be any takers :mrgreen: Maybe Football Dad, GVK, CG, and APB can get working on that!

While it's probably not practical, I too would love to see a regular season match up between a couple of very good teams that don't get an opportunity to play due to the playoff format. For instance, I would love to see CAK play Milan or Goodpasture. Who knows what the future will bring for any program, but over the last several years I think it would have been interesting to see a match up between CAK's team and some of the mid and west TN teams that have made it to the finals.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your premise, but I don't believe that necessarily applies to playing Alcoa if it's not required. There is no question that if you (intentionally or not) play a mostly easy schedule during the regular season you will not be prepared when the playoffs start. This has been a concern with upper east TN teams in the past as well as some other districts. However, in the past several years, Alcoa has truly been at a different level than the rest of 3A. And with the TSSAA putting such an emphasis on total wins, it is going to be more and more difficult for the better teams to fill their schedule.

For instance, if CAK scheduled 3 6A powerhouses and played well but lost, and then lost to Alcoa, they would finish the season 6-4 IF they won the rest of their games. CAK might be "battle tested" but they would get no credit from the TSSAA for their schedule.

Take last year for example: CAK finished the regular season at 9-1 with the only loss being to Alcoa. They won those 9 games convincingly. When the seeding was done, CAK still played Alcoa in the second round of the playoffs. Alcoa has knocked CAK out of the playoffs 5 years in a row in no later than the second round.

As much as I enjoy the discussion with my friends from Alcoa, playing them once a year would be okay with me.

In your scenario with CAK finishing 6-4 with losses to Alcoa and 3 6A schools... CAK would still finish second in the district and be in the playoffs (assuming that CAK and Alcoa are still in the same district). If they are not in the same district in your scenario, then CAK is first in their district. Their playoff seat within the middle-east quadrant may be different since the first criteria is number of wins. I don't think it makes a big difference concerning getting into the playoffs, but it does affect playoff seating.

Take last year for example: CAK finished the regular season at 9-1 with the only loss being to Alcoa. They won those 9 games convincingly. When the seeding was done, CAK still played Alcoa in the second round of the playoffs. Alcoa has knocked CAK out of the playoffs 5 years in a row in no later than the second round.

I am still not sure and how that happened? :angry:

I am still not sure and how that happened? :angry:

Yes, I understand how you would feel. I am a McMinn Central follower and you are in our region. I thought that was junk what happened to you guys. I would love to see TSSAA make it a rule that district teams cannot meet until at least 3rd round. Really I would love to see it worked out as my earlier post states.

I can honestly say there were quite a few Alcoa fans that were a little bothered by playing CAK in the 2nd round. 1)Because we thought CAK deserved better and 2)CAK last year was a dangerous team. I still remember playing them in JV their first year in football. Never thought then they would develop into what they've become.

I can honestly say there were quite a few Alcoa fans that were a little bothered by playing CAK in the 2nd round. 1)Because we thought CAK deserved better and 2)CAK last year was a dangerous team. I still remember playing them in JV their first year in football. Never thought then they would develop into what they've become.

Hey T74, thanks for the nice post :flower: I remember watching the first season (9 years ago) of CAK football. I really feared for the safety of some of those guys, but I'm proud they strapped it on and took their beating or we still would not have a football program today. Alcoa has certainly kept us humble and Loudon has kept us looking over our back (ha, just acknowledging all the love we get from the Redskins) :roflolk: This district is really tough but certainly makes CAK & Loudon, as well as the other teams in our district, work a bit harder than they may do otherwise.

Good luck in the Blount County Blood Bath on Thursday. I'll be there pulling for the Tornadoes.

I don't think there is any question: CAK would NOT schedule Alcoa if it were not a district game. Primarily due to the new guidelines for getting into the playoffs every win and loss counts, and at this juncture Alcoa is King of the Mountain regardless of classification. However; being forced to do so has most definitely made CAK a much better football team IMO. CAK did schedule Elizabethton as a non-district game, and they are a top 10 3A Playoff team, to go along with district foes Alcoa & Loudon. Not to mention that CAK plays schools with over triple their enrollment (just over 400 students this year).

My post on the other thread did not mention Catholic, only Webb. I mentioned Webb because they talk about CAK running from them like they dont run from anybody. I'm pointing out that if it is true that they would not schedule Alcoa then they are the "pot calling the kettle black".

Webb played a two game series with Alcoa as recent as 2003-2004. The fact is Webb and Alcoa, for not all the same reasons, both have trouble scheduling local teams. Webb obviously has nothing to gain by beating CAK, but I doubt seriously if they have ever declined to play CAK. So, I wonder why they haven't played since 2008?

Edited by uga1984