What will it ake for Hillsboro to be competitive?

56dad

For several years many Hillsboro fans trashed the other Metro schools. Hillsboro fans would talk of dominance while other people said the cycle is coming back around. Well the cycle is back around. How does it feel when the tables have turned and now you all are searching for answers on how to just be competitive. I like the school and the coaches but some of your fans are getting a taste of their own medicine.

Well, I'm sure there were HHS fans who acted naive and stupid. However, speaking for me, I knew the HHS football dominance wouldn't last forever. Maryville's dominance didn't last forever. BA's didn't. MBA's didn't. Why would HHS football be any different?

That being said, I've said it before and I will say it again: let me know when any MNPS football program has a 9 year run like HHS had from 2000-2008 (111-15 overall record, 88% overall winning percentage, 9 playoff appearances, 7 semifinal round appearances, 3 time State Runner-Up and 2 time State Champion).

Shoot, there are now 3 MNPS football programs with former HHS assistants as their head coach (Phillips @Whites Creek, Gore @McGavock, Hemontolor @Hunters Lane). Therefore, let me reiterate that I believe HHS football has a very long and tough road ahead of them. I definitely don't see them ever reaching the prominence they enjoyed during the aforementioned timeframe. However, runs like that are just flat out RARE and don't come around, but 1-2 times in a lifetime, maybe. I am just glad I was able to witness it happening at HHS. Best of luck to the MNPS programs this fall!

Well, I'm sure there were HHS fans who acted naive and stupid. However, speaking for me, I knew the HHS football dominance wouldn't last forever. Maryville's dominance didn't last forever. BA's didn't. MBA's didn't. Why would HHS football be any different?

That being said, I've said it before and I will say it again: let me know when any MNPS football program has a 9 year run like HHS had from 2000-2008 (111-15 overall record, 88% overall winning percentage, 9 playoff appearances, 7 semifinal round appearances, 3 time State Runner-Up and 2 time State Champion).

Shoot, there are now 3 MNPS football programs with former HHS assistants as their head coach (Phillips @Whites Creek, Gore @McGavock, Hemontolor @Hunters Lane). Therefore, let me reiterate that I believe HHS football has a very long and tough road ahead of them. I definitely don't see them ever reaching the prominence they enjoyed during the aforementioned timeframe. However, runs like that are just flat out RARE and don't come around, but 1-2 times in a lifetime, maybe. I am just glad I was able to witness it happening at HHS. Best of luck to the MNPS programs this fall!

Has the home attendance improved? I have been to a few games and very poor crowds...this was in the good old days

Has the home attendance improved? I have been to a few games and very poor crowds...this was in the good old days

Some things don't change, no matter what happens on the field. There were/are always games that attract more fans than others, but as a general rule, HHS fans are very inconsistent in attendance.

Some things don't change, no matter what happens on the field. There were/are always games that attract more fans than others, but as a general rule, HHS fans are very inconsistent in attendance.

Thanks, I thought that might be the answer. I always enjoyed the games there. I thought of all Metro schools, Hillsboro should have had good crowds.

You and DAD56 were two of the classier posters for HHS. Others seem to bash the other Metro programs. All I was saying is that now the times have changed and HHS is in a rough cycle. In order to get back to being competitive its simple......win. You all had your run because kids saw you all win and wanted to be a part of it. Now that you are losing the kids want to go elsewhere. I have seen in my area where kids want to go to CR now. I dont think that will last long though because they arent winning. Hillsboro also made a poor judgement in going with the Williamson County Schools. That was a decision made all about money and not what was best for the kids. Just my opinions.

You and DAD56 were two of the classier posters for HHS. Others seem to bash the other Metro programs. All I was saying is that now the times have changed and HHS is in a rough cycle. In order to get back to being competitive its simple......win. You all had your run because kids saw you all win and wanted to be a part of it. Now that you are losing the kids want to go elsewhere. I have seen in my area where kids want to go to CR now. I dont think that will last long though because they arent winning. Hillsboro also made a poor judgement in going with the Williamson County Schools. That was a decision made all about money and not what was best for the kids. Just my opinions.

I think we've discussed this before, but keep in mind that HHS didn't have Open Enrollment status until 2003. They were winning before kids decided to jump on board from other areas. HHS football benefited from that status in the long run, no doubt, but that was hardly ALL of the reason for HHS football's success. HHS's growing reputation as the best school in MNPS helped the football program more than the football success alone, in my opinion, but you are correct that winning helped too, I would be naive to think otherwise.

Let me know if I misunderstood, but isn't there a new rule in MNPS regarding enrollment and zoning that allows a student to choose where they want to go, pending they provide their own transportation. Therefore, a student basically can go wherever their parents desire within MNPS?

If so, that should be very nice for MNPS schools and students, but I maintain that the football programs' successes will be based on the coaching staffs first and foremost. I've seen Maryville outcoach too many uber-talented and uber-athletic teams in the last decade (HHS 3 times, Melrose twice and Maplewood once) to believe otherwise.

As for HHS changing districts for football, there were multiple advantages:

-Obviously they generate more money being in District 11 than in District 12 where Boy's Basketball is king and crowds are inconsistent (HHS fans included in the inconsistency).

-District 11 has been the district for HHS athletics in every sport except football for years. The opportunity to keep continuity was very appealing.

-District 11 provides competition that figures to be better long term than District 12 (could change some now though given the new coaches everywhere).

-District 11 is still pretty competitive in Boy's Basketball, albeit not at the level of District 12.

I think the latter three were definitely in consideration of the best interest of the kids, in ALL sports, including football. The pros of being in District 11 outweighed those of being in District 12.

I think we've discussed this before, but keep in mind that HHS didn't have Open Enrollment status until 2003. They were winning before kids decided to jump on board from other areas. HHS football benefited from that status in the long run, no doubt, but that was hardly ALL of the reason for HHS football's success. HHS's growing reputation as the best school in MNPS helped the football program more than the football success alone, in my opinion, but you are correct that winning helped too, I would be naive to think otherwise.

Let me know if I misunderstood, but isn't there a new rule in MNPS regarding enrollment and zoning that allows a student to choose where they want to go, pending they provide their own transportation. Therefore, a student basically can go wherever their parents desire within MNPS?

If so, that should be very nice for MNPS schools and students, but I maintain that the football programs' successes will be based on the coaching staffs first and foremost. I've seen Maryville outcoach too many uber-talented and uber-athletic teams in the last decade (HHS 3 times, Melrose twice and Maplewood once) to believe otherwise.

-Obviously they generate more money being in District 11 than in District 12 where Boy's Basketball is king and crowds are inconsistent (HHS fans included in the inconsistency).

-District 11 has been the district for HHS athletics in every sport except football for years. The opportunity to keep continuity was very appealing.

-District 11 provides competition that figures to be better long term than District 12 (could change some now though given the new coaches everywhere).

-District 11 is still pretty competitive in Boy's Basketball, albeit not at the level of District 12.

I think the latter three were definitely in consideration of the best interest of the kids, in ALL sports, including football. The pros of being in District 11 outweighed those of being in District 12.

i see both the advantages and disadvantages of playing the Williasmson County teams...bigger gates, better competition being the most advantagous. But Hillsboro has a smaller student body and less atheletes. I think more progressive coaches or a chnage in the schemes from a single wing offense to a more wide open attack would suit HHS better in trying to compete. Better competition makes players better.

I think there are multiple rules here. One is that a student can take a course that Hillsboro for example offers that the zoned school does not. Also, if a school is high priority for NCLB then the parent can request for the student to attend another school. I wont argue with your statements regarding HHS's run. They did an excellent job over that time frame. The only other school I can think of is Overton in the late 70's early 80's with Coutras. I am sure that there may be others but you would probably have to go back a long way. Also, I understand that HHS has been competing with Williamson Co. but they could have opted to go with the other Metro schools here. In all other sports, with the exception of football, the competition would have been pretty equal in my opinion. To me, this decision was about money. I will not deny the fact that the Williamson Co. gates are much more lucrative. I think it was Dad that said the competition makes athletes better. I would agree in most cases, not Metro. I think in Metro its fifty fifty. Some will get better when the times get tough while the same amount will quit. Kids want to play with winners and most want that immediate reward. Right now HHS isnt getting the immediate reward of playing a tough schedule with Williamson Co. Again, just my opinions!

For several years many Hillsboro fans trashed the other Metro schools. Hillsboro fans would talk of dominance while other people said the cycle is coming back around. Well the cycle is back around. How does it feel when the tables have turned and now you all are searching for answers on how to just be competitive. I like the school and the coaches but some of your fans are getting a taste of their own medicine.

Hillsboro advanced past the 1st round of the playoffs last year. Whites Creek made the final 4. Who else in Metro did better last year? How many playoff games did Overton win last year? This current Hillsboro team has quality skill players and should be playing good ball come late October.