Halls @ Powell

osunut2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diver how did the 07 team underachieve? Didn't they win their first playoff game in a decade or for that matter the 08 or 09 team. The 08 team didn't have a chance unless Dowdy qb'd and he didn't. I'll agree with you on coaching on that. But the 09 team? They got punished by the the good teams and killed the weak ones. For 2010 very few week teams are around so it's going to be difficult. you can't blame everything on coaching and injuries. We just can't run that offense plain and simple.

I agree we can't run that offense, which sort of leads to the reason why I contend 07 underachieved -- Wesley Kitts is one of the best RBs to have come through not just Halls but the entire East Tennessee area. We did win our first round against Rhea County, as I recall, but we got hammered by Red Bank, who I think we would have beaten with any other offense (and if you recall, we still had Ward then, which did help immensely; if Ward would have been there in 08 I think we'd have made the playoffs that year too just given his experience and ability to call the right play). From a talent level, we had the same starting QB as we had in 07 and I believe 08 was right there with 07 in talent with the exception of losing Kitts and Dayton. Big losses, I admit, but not enough to lose to West and Powell that year. Many terrible coaching decisions on offense just kept and keep adding up. Remember SC in 08? Wagner had run it time after time and couldn't be stopped. Then, we got inside the 20 and tried to pass 4 times. It still gets my goat. A more open offense would have scored enough points to win because our defenses those years were pretty good.

I agree we can't run that offense, which sort of leads to the reason why I contend 07 underachieved -- Wesley Kitts is one of the best RBs to have come through not just Halls but the entire East Tennessee area. We did win our first round against Rhea County, as I recall, but we got hammered by Red Bank, who I think we would have beaten with any other offense (and if you recall, we still had Ward then, which did help immensely; if Ward would have been there in 08 I think we'd have made the playoffs that year too just given his experience and ability to call the right play). From a talent level, we had the same starting QB as we had in 07 and I believe 08 was right there with 07 in talent with the exception of losing Kitts and Dayton. Big losses, I admit, but not enough to lose to West and Powell that year. Many terrible coaching decisions on offense just kept and keep adding up. Remember SC in 08? Wagner had run it time after time and couldn't be stopped. Then, we got inside the 20 and tried to pass 4 times. It still gets my goat. A more open offense would have scored enough points to win because our defenses those years were pretty good.

Agreed.

Kitts north south runner is what we sorely miss. He will do well at AP. Kitts had Leonard and Hill to run behind a nice combination.But did you notice the next year Leonard and Hill were still there and the productivity fell off considerably. It was a miracle when we passed in 07 that when Dayton put his hands on it he went the distance. That except for Gresham last year we haven't seen since. So most teams load the box and it's not getting pretty. We beat a good Cleveland team that year in the playoffs. The Red Bank game we fell asleep into conservative play selection and have pulled a rip van winkle since. We need a heavy hitter runner not a bevy of scat backs in the wing-t format or we need to change the formation which the chance of that is almost zero. So we keep moving on in mediocrity. I really feel sorry for the kids.

Again agree with your call on Don Ward he seemed to always call the right plays we gave Maryville all they wanted at their house the last year he coached or I should say had a impact on play selection on the offense. I hate the injuries but no excuse here. Football always have injuries and you just move on.

Diver you have been a excellent poster on these boards for awhile I enjoy your posts and are always very informative.

Agreed.

Kitts north south runner is what we sorely miss. He will do well at AP. Kitts had Leonard and Hill to run behind a nice combination.But did you notice the next year Leonard and Hill were still there and the productivity fell off considerably. It was a miracle when we passed in 07 that when Dayton put his hands on it he went the distance. That except for Gresham last year we haven't seen since. So most teams load the box and it's not getting pretty. We beat a good Cleveland team that year in the playoffs. The Red Bank game we fell asleep into conservative play selection and have pulled a rip van winkle since. We need a heavy hitter runner not a bevy of scat backs in the wing-t format or we need to change the formation which the chance of that is almost zero. So we keep moving on in mediocrity. I really feel sorry for the kids.

Again agree with your call on Don Ward he seemed to always call the right plays we gave Maryville all they wanted at their house the last year he coached or I should say had a impact on play selection on the offense. I hate the injuries but no excuse here. Football always have injuries and you just move on.

Diver you have been a excellent poster on these boards for awhile I enjoy your posts and are always very informative.

You're much too kind, ZCAR, especially when I can't even remember that it was the Blue Raiders and not Rhea County that we played at home in 08! (Make that 07!! Sheesh?!) Also, I think I'm not in any danger of doing a better job than you in making thoughtful and insightful comments.

The state of our program is really sad. Julian is a good guy but it appears he can't make the tough decisions necessary to bring the needed change. I'd hate to see him go but if he doesn't do something to shake up his whole offense by next year I don't see how he survives.

Edited by DiverCity

You're much too kind, ZCAR, especially when I can't even remember that it was the Blue Raiders and not Rhea County that we played at home in 08! Also, I think I'm not in any danger of doing a better job than you in making thoughtful and insightful comments.

The state of our program is really sad. Julian is a good guy but it appears he can't make the tough decisions necessary to bring the needed change. I'd hate to see him go but if he doesn't do something to shake up his whole offense by next year I don't see how he survives.

I actually feel for KJ. It's the supporting cast that should be under the microscope. 94 points in two games is unheard of at Halls for their defense and a major low. Couple that with only seven points on offense which was really a special teams score just is a gut buster for the fan. It will get better but it's going to take some time and special attention.

Edited by ZCAR

I actually feel for KJ. It's the supporting cast that should be under the microscope. 94 points in two games is unheard of at Halls for their defense and a major low. Couple that with only seven points on offense which was really a special teams score just is a gut buster for the fan. It will get better but it's going to take some time and special attention.

I feel for KJ also, but hay enuff is enuff. Now my job doesnt allow me to attend every game and I would guess I have made half of the home games over the last 3 years, but I am sick and tried of what I see on the field. Why do we have so many injuries and other teams dont? Are we to soft in practice or are we to hard in practice? What is causing it.

Its time somebody gets a set of nads and changes things or get out of the way so it can change!

I feel for KJ also, but hay enuff is enuff. Now my job doesnt allow me to attend every game and I would guess I have made half of the home games over the last 3 years, but I am sick and tried of what I see on the field. Why do we have so many injuries and other teams dont? Are we to soft in practice or are we to hard in practice? What is causing it.

Its time somebody gets a set of nads and changes things or get out of the way so it can change!

Sad, sad, sad when you call them out and no one comesback for 11+ hours. Does any body really care about the Devils any more or do we just sit on our Duff and do nothing?

Sad, sad, sad when you call them out and no one comesback for 11+ hours. Does any body really care about the Devils any more or do we just sit on our Duff and do nothing?

:roflol: I'd say sitting on him would get his attention! But he's in a pickle, isn't he. KJ is a good guy but stubborn as can be. He won't change OCs no matter how bad the system or play-calling. Or maybe Duff even supports the OC.

KJ has the defensive cajones but he apparently can't grasp that the offense has gotten steadily worse -- I say again -- steadily worse EVERY year since control was handed over from Ward to the current OC.

:roflol: I'd say sitting on him would get his attention! But he's in a pickle, isn't he. KJ is a good guy but stubborn as can be. He won't change OCs no matter how bad the system or play-calling. Or maybe Duff even supports the OC.

KJ has the defensive cajones but he apparently can't grasp that the offense has gotten steadily worse -- I say again -- steadily worse EVERY year since control was handed over from Ward to the current OC.

Stubborn and needs an experienced hand on offense.

ahhhhh all these fence huggers who know everything about the game of football. I say go knock on KJ's door and confront him face to face about your feelings and what you think he should do. heck he might even hire ya. So grow a set and quit bitching on these boards about it and say something face to face to him, instead of being like a lot of Halls fans are and have been in the past and talking behind coaches backs

Edited by reddevilfever

ahhhhh all these fence huggers who know everything about the game of football. I say go knock on KJ's door and confront him face to face about your feelings and what you think he should do. heck he might even hire ya. So grow a set and quit bitching on these boards about it and say something face to face to him, instead of being like a lot of Halls fans are and have been in the past and talking behind coaches backs

Here's my take on you: 1. You're fine with the state of the declining program and thus resent any criticism (perhaps you're a coach or you're related to one); or 2. You don't like what's happening and you've banged on KJ's door and he just doesn't seem to listen to you (or you're a hypocrite and fail to take your on advice); or 3. You don't like the exercise of free speech and think that anyone who disagrees with you should just shut up. Have I missed anything? If so, please enlighten me. If not, which is it? Sheesh, man, the whole point of these boards is to discuss the programs. By the way, I'd say that more than one of the coaches reads these boards so it's not as if people are talking behind their backs.

Edited by DiverCity