Maryville vs Knox Powell thoughts

REBELRON

Maryville will get a steady diet of Derrick Milligan this week. Derrick has 1000 yds already this season. He is about 195 to 200 lbs and runs a 4.5 forty.Great athlete. His offensive line will be the biggest Maryville will see all year. Jo Jo Wilson is 6'2 300 lbs SR and Zane Bruhin is a 6'6 325 lbs SOPH. Zane is a major college prospect. He has a younger brother John jr who will be just as big as Zane.He is a 6'2 280lbs 8th grader. Zanes dad John Bruhin played at Powell,UT and the Tampa Bay Bucs. The other linemen are big also.

Powell is not fancy. They will run it right at you. They hardly pass the ball. This plays right into Maryville's strength. I think Maryville will slow down Milligan and force Powell to pass. Can Powell pass effectively? This will be a huge matchup between Maryville's real good defensive front vs Powells huge offensive line.

I look forward to Cole McKinney 6'2 300 lbs SR going against 6'6 325 lbs Zane Bruhin.The earth will shake when those two go against one another.

I think Maryville is too balanced for Powell on offense.When you play Maryville you have to pick your poisin. Load up on the line and Maryville will throw to their outstanding wide receivers and if you play 5 defensive backs Maryville can run Stewart and McCord down your throat.

I think Maryville wins 35 - 17.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think that Milligan is overrated, he has the biggest line in east Tennessee and he gets the ball 30 plus times a game. I don't think that their one sided offense will be enough to beat Maryville, they will eventually have to pass and that might force a lot of mistakes. Our offense will also be a load for them. Maryville will have a contest early, but pull away steadily as the game progresses.

I agree with all 3 posts. I think Maryville will be too balanced offensively for the Powell defense to handle. Even if Powell scores by running the ball at least half the time, the Rebels can score nearly every time they touch it. Keeping with the Rebels habit of slow starts (except for Motown West) I say close early, then all Maryville in the second half.

One concern I have after watching the Maryville-Wm Blount game on Friday - with the exception of the always-great student section, WE NEED TO GET THE MARYVILLE FANS TO MAKE SOME NOISE! Even during some big 4th Down plays, the Rebel players were often begging the crowd to get into it. I don't know if a lot of Maryville fans take their team for granted or what, but if they do not get fired up and make Shield's Stadium a little more of a intimidating home field advantage, the Rebels could get stung. Maryville has a great team to cheer for; we should all be hoarse on Saturday.

Good points Rebelron. I think if we're healthy that Powell will not score 17 imo. Powell has played a fairly good schedule, but no one as good as Maryville's last 2 opponents (Mo-Town West and W.B.). I think that Thompson is getting better and that makes MHS very dangerous. He looked very good Friday, with the exception of one pass, and he didn't have Merrit. Milligan is a good player, but I agree that Powell must have balance, because if they don't they'll be in for a long game. Go Rebs.

What a run so far this year! Way to go men!

Powell, I think, will be tough. If the same players are out this week that were out against WB things could get interesting. However, I am holding on to my "positive attitude" (as should all HSFB fans) and a belief in a 45 - 17 RRV (Red Rebel Victory) :D

Rebel fans and Riverdale fans! Here's another "feather for the old cap":

http://www.tonybianco.com/high_school_football.htm

Reguards to the board.

Posted by knxmark:

Forgive me for being an idiot, but why isn't Merritt playing?

i heard he got suspended from school a couple of days for bringing a cell phone into class. yep it rung! i think he should be back friday. oh for the good ole days when it was CB radios and they stayed in your vehicle. LOL

Merritt was suspended from the game for bringing a cell phone to school, there may be more to it but that was all I heard. Also, I was trying to fire up the student section, but it was hard with a sore throat. I'm sure with the return of Merritt, who brings a lot of fire, we will do better. I also think we were a little bit spoiled after the Mo-West game, we were expecting a bigtime game and we were ready to yell and go crazy, and we did, but we didn't get what we expected. I think the fans took Willie B. more lightly than they should have and let down, they also didn't have anyone to pump them up, Merritt usually runs onto the field and gets the fans into it. I tried everything I could on Friday but by about halftime my voice was spent!

i agree that we will see a lot of milligan. we had a similar situation with andrew tudor last year. we were able to score early and shut him down and by the second half he was a non factor often lining up at wide receiver. i am not saying that means this year will be the same thing but if powell cannot effectively throw the football they could be in trouble. also lucas tipton told me this morning he expects to play friday.

I agree that Maryville will see a lot of Milligan and we had a similar situation with Tudor and Riggs last year. Timbo Lively is a force at Halls, with no help. Last year the coaching staff proved they know how to prepair a team and to teach young men how to read game film. Maryville needs Tipton and merrit to get the team up, with WB Maryville was flat as the crowd, until the second half where the D gave up no points. During the play-offs #32 Tipton, ripped Riggs apart when this so-called great tail back tried to use a power up the middle sceme like Powell will try to do this year. If Lucas is healthy the Maryville big D will close the deal on Milligan. If Hannon is in the middle Maryville is in trouble two places, around the younger Clement #10 side and up the middle during the run. Merrit will pick anything Powell throws up the middle. Then the Clement side will be the weakest side. Big #2 Drew will for sure run down anyone who gets past the linebackers. Powell will not stop the big reb O. 42-14 Maryville with the 2nd string giving up one TD.