RHEA COUNTY vs. DEVRIN YOUNG (BEARDEN)

EaglePride1

Reading comprehension, friend. I said that we had AVERAGE athletes. What you said is we beat half of the below average teams. and were 0-6 against the average or better. Also, record is not the best indicator or level of athletic ability. Look at Maryville. Over the past 5 years, look at the number of D1 players they've produced compared to what we have.

For the record, the players in 2007 had spent 4 years in the same system Coach Hammontree implemented in 2004. The current coaches no longer use that system as far as I know.

For the record would that be the unemployed, can't find a job, stole 20,000 from booster club 11-11 while he was here, no playoff wins, look at North Gwinnett after he left hammontree? Check those facts!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading comprehension, friend. I said that we had AVERAGE athletes. What you said is we beat half of the below average teams. and were 0-6 against the average or better. Also, record is not the best indicator or level of athletic ability. Look at Maryville. Over the past 5 years, look at the number of D1 players they've produced compared to what we have.

For the record, the players in 2007 had spent 4 years in the same system Coach Hammontree implemented in 2004. The current coaches no longer use that system as far as I know.

For the record are you talking about the unemployed, can't find a teaching or coaching job, stole 20000 from booster club while here, 11-11 no playoff wins here, nobody would give money too while at maryville, look at north gwinnett now hammontree? Check those facts!!!

I am nowhere near ignorant of the program or high school football. I have not missed a game, home or away, rain or shine, since the 80s. I sit in the same spot every week at home and have a seat at all the away games. Having seen the program through all kinds of regime changes, I know quite a lot about how the coaches function. I know Coach Cameron takes care of his boys. But I know for a fact that 'his boys' are not 'all the boys'. Ask the players on the team now, or the players from the past few years. He has certain ones picked out that get all the playing time and all the credit. If you're not one of them, then you mine as well try to play defense for Fitz cause you have about as much chance of getting on the field as a WR or RB for Walt than a certain place freezing over :roflol:

Many folks have responded to this and made great points. Unsilent, it makes sense now. Obviously somebody of your kin is not getting the pt you think they deserve and it upsets you. Thats understandable, but is no excuse to discredit the coaches. Again, these coaches have taken us to 3 quarterfinals and 2 region titles. As for all of these guys not getting pt at wr and rb(which is obviously where you have a personal issue): I didnt realize that Coach Cameron had so many weapons to choose from in the skill position area. Someone already said it, but how many skill people on the bench run a sub 4.8 and how many on the bench are over 6'. Oh thats right, we dont have any more over 6' because of our weight program. WOW!Personally, every fan has a right to question playcalls, thats part of sports. You're not the only armchair quarterback out there and you care if the team wins. I just disagree with questioning a mans character and the personal remarks. Question the playcall if you like but not the man. Someone greatly responded to the comment about our former head coach getting all of the credit for all the good things that have happened. The comment about Gwinnett's success without him are true and I think that Maryville has had a pretty decent run since his departure haven't they? As for the comment from unsilent about booster club preference. Here's your facts: Tallent's dad is the president and Loden's the v.p. Do you seriously think that those two kids get playing time because of that?

For the record would that be the unemployed, can't find a job, stole 20,000 from booster club 11-11 while he was here, no playoff wins, look at North Gwinnett after he left hammontree? Check those facts!!

Thank you for making my point for me. I actually went to several North Gwinnett games while Hammontree was there and watched what they did. The teams I watched were absolutely terrible---about where we are now. Building a program doesn't happen in just a few years. It takes 4-5 years to build a successful team. 4-5 years. Since you're so big on FACTS, here's some FACTS for you: Hammontree became Maryville head coach in 1993. We all know what happened in 1998. Hammontree went to Gwinnett in 1999. Gwinnett hasn't missed the playoff since 2005 (including at least one, maybe two state championship games). Hammontree came here in 2004 and took over a mess. In 2008 we won a region championship, went to the quarterfinals and gave Maryville a pretty tough game.

Now listen, I know personally that he wasn't the same person that he was during his first time stint here in the 80's, but the man had a plan and he could coach football. As far as the stealing money stuff goes, I don't know any FACTS about that so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Thank you for making my point for me. I actually went to several North Gwinnett games while Hammontree was there and watched what they did. The teams I watched were absolutely terrible---about where we are now. Building a program doesn't happen in just a few years. It takes 4-5 years to build a successful team. 4-5 years. Since you're so big on FACTS, here's some FACTS for you: Hammontree became Maryville head coach in 1993. We all know what happened in 1998. Hammontree went to Gwinnett in 1999. Gwinnett hasn't missed the playoff since 2005 (including at least one, maybe two state championship games). Hammontree came here in 2004 and took over a mess. In 2008 we won a region championship, went to the quarterfinals and gave Maryville a pretty tough game.

Now listen, I know personally that he wasn't the same person that he was during his first time stint here in the 80's, but the man had a plan and he could coach football. As far as the stealing money stuff goes, I don't know any FACTS about that so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Part of your statement is true he was a good coach his first stint here. The reason why Rhea County was so successful was BILL HORTON PERIOD!!!! Also great players benton, douglas, douglas, messimer, johnson, fischesser, kelly, fitzgerald, jackson, everett, and the list goes on. Bill had 7 players sign SEC scholarships. Great players make great coaches. You think Bill and Tim forgot how to coach when they went 1-9 or 4-6 back to back???? I guess the patriots is just great coaching or the cowboys with emmitt, micheal, and troy. or alabama with ingram, richardson, arenas and so on. I guess the miami heat are going to be good because of their coaching. Could phil jackson win the Nba championship minus micheal or kobe? From 85-90 we had great success besides those years Rhea County is a .500 football team. Check it out. We have always had players that play hard and give everything they have on that field. When we are lucky enough to put some great players with that we have great teams thats sports. Are the coaches we have the best staff in the state the answer is no. When we have won a region championship or been to the quarterfinals it has been because of the talent that has gone along with the coaching. Name a coach that has won a championship that did not have great talent. It doesn't happen. There is also no way to equate the success at Noth Gwinnett with Hammontree.He was 22-29 at North Gwinnett,11-11 at Rhea. Look at the background the coach now has. You probably have no Idea who he is. Go back and do some research on KY high school football. This man aint living off hammontree. George Quarles enough said. Hamoontree won the state after he hired George Quarles. Yes he was a good coach when he was here the first time, not the second. Ask the players who played for him. Better yet ask the players who played for him in the 80's how they were treated when he came back. Dont live off the 80's those times are gone! Relish those times but don't compare the makeup and actions of our county have changed tremendously since then.

Edited by eaglelegend

Part of your statement is true he was a good coach his first stint here. The reason why Rhea County was so successful was BILL HORTON PERIOD!!!! Also great players benton, douglas, douglas, messimer, johnson, fischesser, kelly, fitzgerald, jackson, everett, and the list goes on. Bill had 7 players sign SEC scholarships. Great players make great coaches. You think Bill and Tim forgot how to coach when they went 1-9 or 4-6 back to back???? I guess the patriots is just great coaching or the cowboys with emmitt, micheal, and troy. or alabama with ingram, richardson, arenas and so on. I guess the miami heat are going to be good because of their coaching. Could phil jackson win the Nba championship minus micheal or kobe? From 85-90 we had great success besides those years Rhea County is a .500 football team. Check it out. We have always had players that play hard and give everything they have on that field. When we are lucky enough to put some great players with that we have great teams thats sports. Are the coaches we have the best staff in the state the answer is no. When we have won a region championship or been to the quarterfinals it has been because of the talent that has gone along with the coaching. Name a coach that has won a championship that did not have great talent. It doesn't happen. There is also no way to equate the success at Noth Gwinnett with Hammontree.He was 22-29 at North Gwinnett,11-11 at Rhea. Look at the background the coach now has. You probably have no Idea who he is. Go back and do some research on KY high school football. This man aint living off hammontree. George Quarles enough said. Hamoontree won the state after he hired George Quarles. Yes he was a good coach when he was here the first time, not the second. Ask the players who played for him. Better yet ask the players who played for him in the 80's how they were treated when he came back. Dont live off the 80's those times are gone! Relish those times but don't compare the makeup and actions of our county have changed tremendously since then.

I know he's not the same man he was back in our glory days. That being said, when I look back at my high school days there weren't many people who had as much influence on me as he did. I had a connection with him that I didn't have with any of my others coaches. He helped me realize my full potential and taught me how to work for it. In my opinion, that's what high school sports is all about. You take a group of boys, teach them how to work hard, teach them how to fight for something, teach them how to win, teach them how to lose, and, through it all, teach them how to live. I just don't see that much of that at the school right now, and that's probably what bothers me the most.

As for Hammontree, the man could take a dump in the middle of Eagle Stadium and it wouldn't change my opinion of him so this argument is pretty pointless.

Ok guys I am going to weigh in on this. The 80's were the 80's and the 90's were the 90's. Let it go. This is 2010 and I am greatful that I have a home town team that I and you can still go watch on Friday nights. As far as the coaching thing well as a fan I am going to agree with calls and disagree it's the nature of the sport. We are going to like the coach's or we're not. Part of the game. But what EVERYBODY needs to do is support this team and this coaching staff. That is the 1 thing they don't have very much of. So how about stopping the downgrading and start the supporting part whether you like the coach's or not. This is the High School days for the players and they need the support. Great group of young men out there.

Many folks have responded to this and made great points. Unsilent, it makes sense now. Obviously somebody of your kin is not getting the pt you think they deserve and it upsets you. Thats understandable, but is no excuse to discredit the coaches. Again, these coaches have taken us to 3 quarterfinals and 2 region titles. As for all of these guys not getting pt at wr and rb(which is obviously where you have a personal issue): I didnt realize that Coach Cameron had so many weapons to choose from in the skill position area. Someone already said it, but how many skill people on the bench run a sub 4.8 and how many on the bench are over 6'. Oh thats right, we dont have any more over 6' because of our weight program. WOW!Personally, every fan has a right to question playcalls, thats part of sports. You're not the only armchair quarterback out there and you care if the team wins. I just disagree with questioning a mans character and the personal remarks. Question the playcall if you like but not the man. Someone greatly responded to the comment about our former head coach getting all of the credit for all the good things that have happened. The comment about Gwinnett's success without him are true and I think that Maryville has had a pretty decent run since his departure haven't they? As for the comment from unsilent about booster club preference. Here's your facts: Tallent's dad is the president and Loden's the v.p. Do you seriously think that those two kids get playing time because of that?

Before you spout off and get on me about what I said about players and their parents in the booster club, go back and read exactly what I said. You'll see in ALL CAPS that I do not keep up with the CURRENT booster club. I'm referring to years before these boys were in high school, and years prior to that. I understand that you're not going to get a completely unbiased coach who can't be persuaded one way or another, but it is ridiculous the amount of politics that play into RC athletics in general.

About the comment about someone of my kin on the team: I am totally unrelated to any child on the team. Just thought you'd like to know there are other people that read this and offer up an opinion than parents of the current players. Who knows, you may be a former player with no children on the team also? I sure don't know, nor do I really care. I'm allowed to post my opinion on anything I want, just like you can.

To the people who have brought up in the past and who brought it up now: IF, IF, IF, Coach Tim Hammontree did supposedly steal $20k from the booster club, why were there no prosecutions? Seems like that wouldn't go unnoticed. Coach Hammontree actually spent a lot of money in his time here. He bought new equipment (helmets, shoulder pads, etc), new uniforms (I know some donated via Robinson's), among other things. I think he redid the weight room, and even purchased the BFS weightlifting program, which I'm almost certain we don't even use anymore.

I'll step down off my soapbox now and let you guys take turns taking shots at me and my thoughts.