Karns vs Campbell County

topraymore2

Karns has a new Principal, new AD, new Head Coach, new Booster Club leaders, and a new/old school color scheme but still seems stuck in the same poor play that's plagued them for many years. One positive for this week is that Campbell Co. has played just as bad or worse so far and has the same 0-3 record as the Beavers. Any thoughts on who'll come away with victory number 1 for 2010? Can Karns rally to meet or exceed their 3-7 record of last year?

Karns has a new Principal, new AD, new Head Coach, new Booster Club leaders, and a new/old school color scheme but still seems stuck in the same poor play that's plagued them for many years. One positive for this week is that Campbell Co. has played just as bad or worse so far and has the same 0-3 record as the Beavers. Any thoughts on who'll come away with victory number 1 for 2010? Can Karns rally to meet or exceed their 3-7 record of last year?

New HC still has the same old BS coaches on his staff, the new colors don't matter and the same old play is true, KHS still has a chance to win a couple, the QB play is not good our recievers dont run good routes and from hanging with a couple of the starters the team feels the tension between the coaches, the best thing happening right now is coach Witt is trying to keep them all straight the best thing that could happen though would be for the guys that want to quit quit. last friday night at applebees a few of the guys were talking about quitting, MA said it best if your talking about quitting you probably already have so just do it and shut up.

New HC still has the same old BS coaches on his staff, the new colors don't matter and the same old play is true, KHS still has a chance to win a couple, the QB play is not good our recievers dont run good routes and from hanging with a couple of the starters the team feels the tension between the coaches, the best thing happening right now is coach Witt is trying to keep them all straight the best thing that could happen though would be for the guys that want to quit quit. last friday night at applebees a few of the guys were talking about quitting, MA said it best if your talking about quitting you probably already have so just do it and shut up.

With over 12 years of HS coaching (multi sports, as head, coordinator and asst) this is EXACTLY what I ALWAYS taught my athlete's should NOT do and that is quit. Life is tough! High school sports should be about preparing young men and women to handle what life is going to throw at them. There are going to be days when you do nothing right in the eyes of your spouse, boss and friends! Is this attitude that you want to take into your life? When things get rough, just quit and run away?

From a pragmatic standpoint (not to mention, and more important, Scriptural standpoint) if we are to overcome adversity and stand firm (as a man, woman or person of faith) it can not be accomplished by quitting and running away!

I had a dog in this lot for 3 years. There was a time according to at least 1 of the coaches he was the worst football player to ever suit up. What he got at home when we discussed this was me ( a long time former coach) DEFENDING the coach. No, I did not use these tactics (learned a long time ago people respond when the know you care about them and I always use the 80-20 principle {positive-negative}. The coach was using many of the same tactics that was used on me back in the day that I (and he) played. His intentions were (and are) to develop players and young men. I KNOW THAT many (if not most) of the modern player do not respond to these methods. My question to is this, how many "man to man" talks did you have with these coaches? Did you ever even try to understand their point of view? I know my son did and he began to understand and he entire outlook changed (life lesson learned!)

Before you think I am one those support at all cost the last coach, I was EXTREMELY upset with MANY things I saw from schemes, clock management, player management and probably the most was with the lack of integrity IE doing what you say you are going to do as a coach.

I have remained silent, but these young men NEED SUPPORT now more than ever! I for one am glad I am not on this staff. It has became a very unenviable position for ALL involved.

09 you have made your point time and time again, MOVE ON! You know in this world there is only ONE person that we can control and that is ourselves. These guy's (for their future spouses, bosses, children and families sake) need to press forward OVERCOMING this very difficult situation. You want to be a friend to these players, encourage to do their best IN SPITE of the situation! This will help develop them as winners in life, and that is what high school athletics are really about.

Mike Puckett

<><

With over 12 years of HS coaching (multi sports, as head, coordinator and asst) this is EXACTLY what I ALWAYS taught my athlete's should NOT do and that is quit. Life is tough! High school sports should be about preparing young men and women to handle what life is going to throw at them. There are going to be days when you do nothing right in the eyes of your spouse, boss and friends! Is this attitude that you want to take into your life? When things get rough, just quit and run away?

From a pragmatic standpoint (not to mention, and more important, Scriptural standpoint) if we are to overcome adversity and stand firm (as a man, woman or person of faith) it can not be accomplished by quitting and running away!

I had a dog in this lot for 3 years. There was a time according to at least 1 of the coaches he was the worst football player to ever suit up. What he got at home when we discussed this was me ( a long time former coach) DEFENDING the coach. No, I did not use these tactics (learned a long time ago people respond when the know you care about them and I always use the 80-20 principle {positive-negative}. The coach was using many of the same tactics that was used on me back in the day that I (and he) played. His intentions were (and are) to develop players and young men. I KNOW THAT many (if not most) of the modern player do not respond to these methods. My question to is this, how many "man to man" talks did you have with these coaches? Did you ever even try to understand their point of view? I know my son did and he began to understand and he entire outlook changed (life lesson learned!)

Before you think I am one those support at all cost the last coach, I was EXTREMELY upset with MANY things I saw from schemes, clock management, player management and probably the most was with the lack of integrity IE doing what you say you are going to do as a coach.

I have remained silent, but these young men NEED SUPPORT now more than ever! I for one am glad I am not on this staff. It has became a very unenviable position for ALL involved.

09 you have made your point time and time again, MOVE ON! You know in this world there is only ONE person that we can control and that is ourselves. These guy's (for their future spouses, bosses, children and families sake) need to press forward OVERCOMING this very difficult situation. You want to be a friend to these players, encourage to do their best IN SPITE of the situation! This will help develop them as winners in life, and that is what high school athletics are really about.

Mike Puckett

<><

Mike,

Thanks much for taking time to share your thoughts. I agree that quitting should not be an option. I once told my favorite athlete that it was his decision as to whether he played but there just wasn't going to be any quitting in the middle of the season. I also think that the criticism becomes a constant destructive force after awhile. We all pretty much know what's good and what's not about the program at this point. So perhaps we should just put as much energy as possible into winning a game or two and let the other stuff alone? Even though it's not an acceptable approach in the public school system, I also believe the true motivation and answers come from above. Surely we can beat these Campbell County boys!

So did your son get a football scholarship?

• Upvote 1

Mike,

Thanks much for taking time to share your thoughts. I agree that quitting should not be an option. I once told my favorite athlete that it was his decision as to whether he played but there just wasn't going to be any quitting in the middle of the season. I also think that the criticism becomes a constant destructive force after awhile. We all pretty much know what's good and what's not about the program at this point. So perhaps we should just put as much energy as possible into winning a game or two and let the other stuff alone? Even though it's not an acceptable approach in the public school system, I also believe the true motivation and answers come from above. Surely we can beat these Campbell County boys!

well said Bdcoach...perseverance is one of the most important life lessons, and, somewhat unfortunately, a lesson that KHS football athletes each have had to deal with and learn over the last 10 years or so. Tuna is on the mark with his comment about criticism being destructive...players hear that (we ALWAYS heard the negative talk !). The divided factions that apparently exist among the coaching staff and now among the players is not helping. The actions initiated at the start of the season by the KHS booster club (sounds like a contradiction in terms !!!) are confusing at best. Now is the time for all parents and supports to rally...not to continue the divide !!!

Mike,

Ok just erased a rant on the entire athletic program, only came back to answer the question.

He was offered by 3 small schools and had a lot of interest from others.

He choose to go to ETSU as a part of their inaugural wrestling class. Coach Elia (hall of fame coach from CN) has a tremendous plan to build the brand new ETSU wrestling program into a driving force for the sport in Tennessee.

He was really missing football until he got to campus and started to practice, but I think he still wants to suit it and bust heads. He did say that if they bring back football at ETSU he was going to walk on (never say never to the program coming back).

thanks for asking 8-)

I've seen both of these teams play and i think this could be a very entertaining game. Im picking Campbell Co. 24 Karns 21

So do you mean entertaining such as "The circus is coming to town later this month and it should be very entertaining!" :roflol: I appreciate the comment about the (Un)Boosters. The past three years the Booster leadership was clearly focused on benefiting the program, even when they had differences of opinion with the coaching staff or administration. Unfortunately this years's club leaders seem to have set their primary agenda item as trying to banish the Head Coach. Even more unfortunately, they were successful. Entertaining? This could be enough to motivate me to head north Friday evening and hike to the top (or at least near the top) of the world's steepest stands.

So do you mean entertaining such as "The circus is coming to town later this month and it should be very entertaining!" :roflol: I appreciate the comment about the (Un)Boosters. The past three years the Booster leadership was clearly focused on benefiting the program, even when they had differences of opinion with the coaching staff or administration. Unfortunately this years's club leaders seem to have set their primary agenda item as trying to banish the Head Coach. Even more unfortunately, they were successful. Entertaining? This could be enough to motivate me to head north Friday evening and hike to the top (or at least near the top) of the world's steepest stands.

No BigTuna, i mean this could be a back and forth kind of game that comes down to the last drive. Im picking CC because i think they have an advantage at qb. CC's qb threw the ball very well against Anderson Co., but his receivers dropped some passes that hurt them early on in the game.

Good luck to Karns though, this is a very winnable game for you guys. Just dont turn the ball over and have stupid penalties.

No BigTuna, i mean this could be a back and forth kind of game that comes down to the last drive. Im picking CC because i think they have an advantage at qb. CC's qb threw the ball very well against Anderson Co., but his receivers dropped some passes that hurt them early on in the game.

Good luck to Karns though, this is a very winnable game for you guys. Just dont turn the ball over and have stupid penalties.

Well turning the ball over and getting a few stupid penalties has been part of our game plan but I guess it's not too late to make adjustments. Our DBs have been tested but they haven't seen a really good QB yet. Hopefully the Beavers will rise up and take control of this one. I often go down to the concession stand a few minutes before half time to get a snack. I have been known to miss a good play or two. But with the Mt. Everest Campbell County stands I think I'll pack my goodies with me when I make my initial ascent. :thumb:

It will be interesting to see if the Beavers bring out the Wildcat again this week. And when they do play with a QB under center who will that be? Hello out there Karns and/or Campbell County fans. What do you think about this "entertaining" game?

this will be a tight game maybe even go down to the last drive. Special teams will play a big role in this game maybe a fake punt or even a missed PAT. QB play is the question for the beavers. They need to limit the turnovers but towe has gradually improved in each game. The karns offense is really lacking big play ability players which means they need to be able to drive the ball without penalties consistently. That has been the problem that I have seen. Im not sure that it is x's and o's that the coaches put together but the players need to execute. Campbell county in the past has ran the option and if i remember when william blount started running the option the Karns defense had no answer. So I think this game will come down to karns stopping the run and Karns offense playing mistake free and start an early running game to open up there passing attack.

this will be a tight game maybe even go down to the last drive. Special teams will play a big role in this game maybe a fake punt or even a missed PAT. QB play is the question for the beavers. They need to limit the turnovers but towe has gradually improved in each game. The karns offense is really lacking big play ability players which means they need to be able to drive the ball without penalties consistently. That has been the problem that I have seen. Im not sure that it is x's and o's that the coaches put together but the players need to execute. Campbell county in the past has ran the option and if i remember when william blount started running the option the Karns defense had no answer. So I think this game will come down to karns stopping the run and Karns offense playing mistake free and start an early running game to open up there passing attack.

I would agree...untimely penalties and turnovers have played havoc so far this year...time to turn it around !