Compete and advertise

pujo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of the quoted Ezell billboard "oh yeah, we play alittle football too." That is a direct quote from UTK advertising, that they use during football games to help attract fans and atheletes. So is it recruiting.... I don't know if it violates the rules, but I would have to think it skirts the edges of the spirit of those rules.

Is it any different than a booster telling a parent or child they should play for a particular school? Again, I don't know, but I do believe that it should be looked at.

Just my humble opinion. :x

...schools are allowed to advertise, if that is what you want to call it. It's kind of a First Amendment right. I don't see any difference between Ezell offering that message and Riverdale folks walking around w/ "State Champions" tee-shirts. Or anybody for that matter.

Now the "advantage" takes place in the sense that if Trousdale Co. has a bunch of t-shirts printed up and takes out a congratulatory ad in a newspaper, no one is going to move to TC from Nashville or Franklin or Brentwood. But Ezell, for example, could actually benefit if a couple of kids in the aforementioned areas see Ezell's success and say, "hey Pop, can I go there?".

I don't know how often this kind of situation occurs, but I'm willing to bet it happens a whole lot more to a successful private school than it does to a successful Westmoreland, Celina, Portland, or Trousdale Co..

Just a thought.

Posted by just1np:

...schools are allowed to advertise, if that is what you want to call it. It's kind of a First Amendment right. I don't see any difference between Ezell offering that message and Riverdale folks walking around w/ "State Champions" tee-shirts. Or anybody for that matter.

Now the "advantage" takes place in the sense that if Trousdale Co. has a bunch of t-shirts printed up and takes out a congratulatory ad in a newspaper, no one is going to move to TC from Nashville or Franklin or Brentwood. But Ezell, for example, could actually benefit if a couple of kids in the aforementioned areas see Ezell's success and say, "hey Pop, can I go there?".

I don't know how often this kind of situation occurs, but I'm willing to bet it happens a whole lot more to a successful private school than it does to a successful Westmoreland, Celina, Portland, or Trousdale Co..

Just a thought.

I`m sure it happens often enough. Memphis schools, even though they have zones, has an open transfer policy that allows kids to move around within the system. Milan and Humboldt have their own school systems, yet they`ll take kids within the Gibson County system. Germantown got a kid from Jackson (actually moved from Jackson to Germantown) a few years ago who played baseball there and now plays for Mississippi State. There have been all sorts of mentions about girl basketball players who suddenly cross county lines and play for a good team e.g. Shelbyville. Of course no one wants to talk about public schools that recruit. So Shhhhhhhhhh....forget I ever mentioned it. :rolleyes:

Posted by just1np:

Just a thought.

Actaully i know of one instances that this happened but i dont know all the circumstances. A player from DCA a good player, transferred from DCA to trousdale county after i believe he was kicked out of DCA. Though that was a little strange but again i dont know all the circumstances.

[Edited by Chakra20 on 10-1-02 10:13A]

I am very willing to discuss public schools that recruit. I'm sure TSSAA is also. Just supply the facts and we'll discuss.

Now if all you have is rethoric then, Vg, the discussion won't happen.

That is unless you want to sound like an "ignorant, hypocritical", public school supporter. :rolleyes:

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by just1np:

Just a thought.

I`m sure it happens often enough. Memphis schools, even though they have zones, has an open transfer policy that allows kids to move around within the system. Milan and Humboldt have their own school systems, yet they`ll take kids within the Gibson County system. Germantown got a kid from Jackson (actually moved from Jackson to Germantown) a few years ago who played baseball there and now plays for Mississippi State. There have been all sorts of mentions about girl basketball players who suddenly cross county lines and play for a good team e.g. Shelbyville. Of course no one wants to talk about public schools that recruit. So Shhhhhhhhhh....forget I ever mentioned it. :rolleyes:

I've heard you talking about this OPEN ZONE policy within Shelby County and I did some checking. The kids must fall under specific guidlines and if they have already established a athletic record with the TSSAA, they must sit out 12 months just like someone transfering to any other school. Also, the normal recruiting rules apply and if a coach makes contact or uses "undue influence" it is a violation of TSSAA rules. The only way a student can transfer here is if he is an incoming freshman without a TSSAA record and his transfer is approved because he needs to take a class not offered at his local school. :o

Posted by just1np:

I am very willing to discuss public schools that recruit. I'm sure TSSAA is also. Just supply the facts and we'll discuss.

Now if all you have is rethoric then, Vg, the discussion won't happen.

That is unless you want to sound like an "ignorant, hypocritical", public school supporter. :D

Just1np....funny that you should post that comment. If you think about it, that`s all the public schools have on the private schools...rhetoric. They have these paranoid suspicions that private schools must be recruiting. They say private schools recruit, yet offer no evidence. :D