Compete and advertise

pujo

Posted by just1np:

I am very willing to discuss public schools that recruit. I'm sure TSSAA is also. Just supply the facts and we'll discuss.

Now if all you have is rethoric then, Vg, the discussion won't happen.

That is unless you want to sound like an "ignorant, hypocritical", public school supporter. :rolleyes:

I have heard many, many second hand reports, stories and rumors regarding recruiting by public schools. Some of those are from very reputable sources. Many of the stories would curl your hair!! What I will not do, however, is repeat stories that I have no firsthand knowledge of. I would ask the same of all the people that constantly post on here that they have "facts" regarding recruiting by private schools. I have yet to see one "fact".

Good luck, I know! :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by itzme:
Posted by just1np:

I am very willing to discuss public schools that recruit. I'm sure TSSAA is also. Just supply the facts and we'll discuss.

Now if all you have is rethoric then, Vg, the discussion won't happen.

That is unless you want to sound like an "ignorant, hypocritical", public school supporter. :D

I have heard many, many second hand reports, stories and rumors regarding recruiting by public schools. Some of those are from very reputable sources. Many of the stories would curl your hair!! What I will not do, however, is repeat stories that I have no firsthand knowledge of. I would ask the same of all the people that constantly post on here that they have "facts" regarding recruiting by private schools. I have yet to see one "fact".

Good luck, I know! :rolleyes:

Awww C`mon itzme....if they have to provide facts, then that will take all the "whine" out of this debate! :)

VG

...you what, you want to talk about people who make unfounded accusations?

I thought you wanted to talk about public schools that recruit?

I can't be sensible for myself and others. I am not the legal counsil for the collective CoachT public school supporters. I don't represent them. If you want to discuss something with me, then fine. Let's go. We have a couple of easy games coming up, so you have my attention.

If you feel that the average CoachT public school supporter is an idiot, hypocrit, whiner, or fool, that's okay. If you include me in that categorey, that's okay. But I feel like I opened the door to having a discussion about a topic that interests both of us, and you could only respond with another slam against the "opposition".

When one becomes pugilistic like that it generally means that they have no good rebuttal.

If you desire to have a private concersation so that no one else destracts us, we are both Plus members. You have every right to contact me by those means, if you wish.

Whatever is fine w/ me.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by just1np:

...schools are allowed to advertise, if that is what you want to call it. It's kind of a First Amendment right. I don't see any difference between Ezell offering that message and Riverdale folks walking around w/ "State Champions" tee-shirts. Or anybody for that matter.

Now the "advantage" takes place in the sense that if Trousdale Co. has a bunch of t-shirts printed up and takes out a congratulatory ad in a newspaper, no one is going to move to TC from Nashville or Franklin or Brentwood. But Ezell, for example, could actually benefit if a couple of kids in the aforementioned areas see Ezell's success and say, "hey Pop, can I go there?".

I don't know how often this kind of situation occurs, but I'm willing to bet it happens a whole lot more to a successful private school than it does to a successful Westmoreland, Celina, Portland, or Trousdale Co..

Just a thought.

I`m sure it happens often enough. Memphis schools, even though they have zones, has an open transfer policy that allows kids to move around within the system. Milan and Humboldt have their own school systems, yet they`ll take kids within the Gibson County system. Germantown got a kid from Jackson (actually moved from Jackson to Germantown) a few years ago who played baseball there and now plays for Mississippi State. There have been all sorts of mentions about girl basketball players who suddenly cross county lines and play for a good team e.g. Shelbyville. Of course no one wants to talk about public schools that recruit. So Shhhhhhhhhh....forget I ever mentioned it. :rolleyes:

Just1np...I responded to your post with "facts". Tell me what I said that isn`t fact. Here is another fact for you to dwell on...two years ago the best middle school basketball player in Memphis was playing in the regional middle school tournament in Jackson. His team won the tournament. Everyone was talking abot how good this kid was. I saw a fellow who obviously knew the kid (turns out he had coached him and several of the other kids on that team in youth leagues) and asked him where the player was going to attend high school. His response was...." He hasn`t decided yet". Now how would you interpret that? Here is an inner city kid who has the option to enroll at several public high schools in Memphis, yet he is zoned for only one and he hasn`t decided yet?

If you want to discuss other things, then why not get on the Jackson Magnet school thread and just offer your opinion. It`s a valid question there on that thread and you have yet to offer an opinion.

Just1np..I have seen my share of unfounded opinions on this board. Myself and several others have tried diligently to try and sort through them and educate those who are naive about the situation.

lets say a person had knowledge of these "facts", how might that knowledge have been obtained? one way would be to have friends who coach, and feel comfortable enough to talk openly of their team, and in doing so reveal things that might violate some tssaa rule or another. another is to know kids or their families, who are simply trying to serve the best interests of the child, and in doing so might violate some tssaa rule or another.

reasonable people might consider information like that as having been obtained in "confidence". to betray a confidence requires (at least in my mind) compelling reasons. were i to find out a kid was taking a gun to school, i'd tell. were i to find out a kid was using steroids, i'd tell. in neither case would i turn to coacht as the place to disseminate that information. were i to find out that a kid didn't actually live in the residence listed, or that tuition was being paid in a surreptitious manner, i would tend to my own business. but even for a person who felt compelled to pass on that information, coacht would hardly be the appropriate place to do so.

Posted by lazarus:

lets say a person had knowledge of these "facts", how might that knowledge have been obtained? one way would be to have friends who coach, and feel comfortable enough to talk openly of their team, and in doing so reveal things that might violate some tssaa rule or another. another is to know kids or their families, who are simply trying to serve the best interests of the child, and in doing so might violate some tssaa rule or another.

reasonable people might consider information like that as having been obtained in "confidence". to betray a confidence requires (at least in my mind) compelling reasons. were i to find out a kid was taking a gun to school, i'd tell. were i to find out a kid was using steroids, i'd tell. in neither case would i turn to coacht as the place to disseminate that information. were i to find out that a kid didn't actually live in the residence listed, or that tuition was being paid in a surreptitious manner, i would tend to my own business. but even for a person who felt compelled to pass on that information, coacht would hardly be the appropriate place to do so.

TY