Tennessee @ Science Hill

THSVikings2004

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hello. I hope you enjoyed the game. It was fantastic. Most beautiful stadium in Tennessee. Needed binoculars at times though. Wish they would have put the track somewhere else. JumboTron really neat for home team. Should seriously be proud. Irritating announcer to visiting team. Two referees were obvious SH alumni or had sons playing on the field. Big guys on THS front dominated the D-Line of SH. Big plays on both sides from both teams. Very exciting game. Overall I do think the best football team won. Congrats to Stacy Carter's new baby born earlier the same day. SH is becoming a classier act better than ever before. Exciting to watch college bound athletes who performed very well. Receiver on SH Kick-Off return did reach down absentmindedly and touched the ball but the SH-born and breed Referee couldn't see it. Several missed calls or overlooked calls at least from my angle which obviously wasn't as good as the refs. Thanks for the fun night! Also, admit it, there was Fun music coming from JumboTron. I didn't want it to end. They Boys of Fall! The Friday Night Lights! The weather! The sounds! The bands! The air! AWESOME!

First I have to say CONGRATULATIONS to the VIKINGS on a BIG win!!!! :thumb: HARD fought game by both sides but there is no question in my mind that the better team at this point in the season won. First half was total domination by the Vikings. I know it was only 17 to 0 at half... but had we not had to play 17 PEOPLE on the field the score WOULD have told the story. That's right I said it... WORST ATEMPT TO STILL A GAME against the Vikings since I believe the 07' SOUTH game and the infamous no call on the fumble by Curt Philips at the goal line!!! I heard HILL say he couldn't wait to see the replay. YOU AINT THE ONLY ONE BROTHA!!!! I urge everybody to watch this replay.... so you won't be shocked when the same thing happens to U under the WATCHFUL eye of the JUMBO-TRON! Of course the replay option wasn't available for the REFEREE HIGHLIGHTS!!! You think I'm just winnin or blowin smoke... WATCH THE REPLAY ON TUESDAY. :geek:

I am not sure how you can say total domination in the first half. Until the Viking drive after the first INT around the 7:00 mark the game was scoreless. A Viking touchdown was called back yes, but it was clearly offensive pass interference. And the Illegal Procedure calls were legit. Watch the film. To the first INT the Vikings had 5 first downs to Science Hills 3. The Vikings hadn't even thrown a pass yet. And after the first INT it still took 9 plays and 4 minutes to go 23 yards. That is hardly domination. The only difference in the first half were the two INT's.

I am not sure how you can say total domination in the first half. Until the Viking drive after the first INT around the 7:00 mark the game was scoreless. A Viking touchdown was called back yes, but it was clearly offensive pass interference. And the Illegal Procedure calls were legit. Watch the film. To the first INT the Vikings had 5 first downs to Science Hills 3. The Vikings hadn't even thrown a pass yet. And after the first INT it still took 9 plays and 4 minutes to go 23 yards. That is hardly domination. The only difference in the first half were the two INT's.

You got to understand Crap1 would say the mighty Vikings were totally dominant if they were playing the Indianapolis Colts!

They usually only throw about 8 times a game. I don't know why but it feels like they definately threw it to Brendan Downs more in the three previous games than this one. Aside from the trick play, I don't think the Vikings threw a single pass in the 1st half. My opinion is they were playing it too conservative for most of the game and then when Science Hill scores their first touchdown it's like they're trying to put out a fire and begin rolling the dice when the odds were very much against them. :rolleyes:

They actually threw two official passes in the last drive I think. One was to 47 for a short gain and the other was to Downs but well over his head. #12 was a much better passer than what I thought he would be. He looked poised the entire game. That was the difference. #5 makes two TERRIBLE throws. Rule 1 for a QB is PROTECT THE BALL. He just floated both passes.

Edited by TicketToRide

Well, you can move the chains because it's a Tennessee High errr Science Hill.................................................! You had to be there. My first visit to South Carolina's new stadium. It's a looker. But don't waste your time if you actually want to see a football game. You know how Death Valley is at a 50 degree angle and allows a great view of the whole field no matter where you sit? You know how the Castle is the best venue in NET? You know how J Fred is one of the most awsome stadiums around (at least for homers)? Well the Topper stadium is every bit of 25 degrees. I might as well have brought a chair and sat on the ground. I think I was like a half mile from the sideline. I told my son we would just wait and see it on film. And the Trinitron...errr...Jumbo?Tron...well suffice to say I forgot my binoculars. And the instant replays...well aren't they supposed to be played when the current play isn't in motion? Which would you watch? The 40 yard reception that is on replay, or the interception that is happening in real time? Neither, because you can't see either. And the Topper Nation? Word is that Stacy is going to hire the Rebel Nation to teach them the meaning of fanatical fan support and how we don't give up when we are down 14, 21, even 28 points. Talk about fairweather fans. At the beginning of the second quarter the game was over...well according to the Topper fans I was near. I guess it will take a bigger bowl of beans to convince these roundballers that they might could have a football team. And their band played during 90% of the Vikings snaps! How rude can you get? Bristol didn't play during one Topper snap. At least both bands came dressed for the occasion! More than I can say for South's band. Stacy lost the game because of playing too conservative in the first half. Stubbs won the game because he has an animale' offensive line and RB's that have an attitude. They made Kenan Shephard look like...well...like he graduated. He did graduate didn't he? I won't go to another game at the Topper stadium...because now instead of just reading glasses I need 4 inch thick glasses because of straining my eyes tonight. Science Hill doesn't have a prayer against the Indians. Bristol has a prayer. Maybe even a revival...but no snake handling. But wait...that last 45 yarder to the Viking WR?...double teamed to boot!...and the ball was placed square in his hands at waist level...incredible. That happened right in front of me so I was able to make that one out. I have chastized the Indian Nation (AD) for their waste of money on putting the cart before the horse but this stadium takes the cake for total wasted money. And speaking of money...at South Stacy told me in 2005, "Let's build a championship program before we celebrate. Well, I think the Topper Nation is celebrating before the championship program is built. Rude awakening on it's way. On paper, Science Hill should have eaten Bristol's lunch. And on paper they should devour DB as well. It's interesting to those that are students of the game...The spread offense is intended as a go for the throat offense and at South that is how Stacy ran it. Stubbs (or anyone elses) power running offense lives on the premise of busting on the set of players on a high school football team that is the most vulnerable...the D line. When you run power backs three deep at a D line all night sooner or later they will run out of gas. And so is the phylosophy of Stubbs and Clark. It will be a game worth seeing...but not in Johnson City.

You obviously sat far away from the game. As I am not sure where you get some of your statements. #1 Carter lost the game because of playing too conservative early? He was throwing the ball in his territory trusting his QB to do as he is coached. Carter's normal QB's aren't 5'8" 150 lbs but I have to say #5 looks like he has heart. He didn't lower his head after the pics and Carter kept calling the throws. Once he missed #1 down the sidelines by over-throwing him and once he hit him. This is a young SH team, used to losing, getting familiar with a new coach and new coaches. The Hilltoppers were without at least two of their better D linemen and their starting center I believe. They really struggled pursuing to the ball on the toss sweeps. The Vikings have been running Stubbs system for a long time. Their kids know what to do....the only real question I ever have with Stubbs is when he had Shepard he would run him up the middle and never really worked to get him in space. He just likes to over power opponents. But his kids are fundamentally sound.

The defense on paper does look good but they do have weaknesses.

They have kept SH in every game but the Volunteer game tonight. Tonight, the personnel loses shined bright.

How do you get on paper SH should beat Tennessee High and should beat DB? I haven't read that paper nor do I know where to find it. On paper SH has been an opportune team, creating more turnovers and scoring off those turnovers. To date, they haven't allowed a TD or FG after one of their turnovers. Tonight that wasn't the story. The defense was without two of their best linemen and the offense does sputter at times. Kids don't hold their blocks or totally miss them. Receivers drop passes. But, there are players emerging for the Hill and they are back in the system again next year. They are young.

I haven't met any Topper fans that are already celebrating a championship. SH has always been known (outside of roundball) as a school that produces individual champions but very few team championships. And if they had given up by half maybe that is the old way of thinking. Hopefully, the second half performance convinced them that Coach Carter's teams won't quit. And one thing about the stadium, I think somewhere you have to compare it to where they used to play which should be plowed up and corn planted. That place didn't excite anyone and they had bad teams to boot. The new stadium instills excitement and kids that roam the halls at SH might decide to play now. New stadium, new coach and what seems to be the beginning of a new winning attitude. Kids like to be around that. Coach Carter will have his kids as fundamentally sound as Coach Stubb's are and it will happen soon. Mix that in with the athletes at SH and you could have an explosive concoction.

Edited by TicketToRide

The Hilltoppers were without at least two of their better D linemen and their starting center I believe. They really struggled pursuing to the ball on the toss sweeps. The Vikings have been running Stubbs system for a long time. Their kids know what to do....

Tonight, the personnel loses shined bright.

That's one of the things that I was worried about last night. The Vikings came out in a formation that they have rarely used since about 2007. They have been practicing it for a week and it looked like they were struggling with it in the 1st quarter. They have also had a few bumps and bruises of their own.

I think the Toppers' best years are yet to come. Carter and his staff will have success in JC. It's easy to get behind a program when they're 3-0 or 4-0, but it's much more difficult after a loss or two. As long as the kids realize that I think they won't have a problem. They have shown a lot of perserverance this season (a necessity when you're down 17-0). They'll have next week to regroup and work on things and then they go to David Crockett.