What's wrong with Halls?

btgoG

I am not going to beat this horse until death but I do have a question. Whose to blame for this fall? Is it, 1. Coaches loosing faith, 2. Players loosing faith, 3. Parents/Community loosing faith, 4. None of the above, 5. All of the above

I watch UT football and follow it regularly. The fall from grace is just as bad at UT as it is at HHS. I just can't believe what I'm seeing/hearing is true.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before change is implemented. But even change can not always be successful overnite you have to get in the psyche. When the W's start rolling again the love will be back.

Remember all the people calling for Fulmer's head. I wonder what they are thinking now. Fulmer perhaps the greatest recruiter in division 1 football made a stupid pick in a OC Clawson and it crushed a once great program. It will take time at UT also although Les Miles tried to help us yesterday.

Edited by ZCAR

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember all the people calling for Fulmer's head. I wonder what they are thinking now.

What am I thinking? Since you asked, I am thinking that the UT program is where it is in large part because Phillip Fulmer ran it in the ground in the last 3-4 years he was here. He quit doing what he allegedly did best - recruit - and on only has to look at the drop off in the number of NFL draft picks UT has had in the last couple of years to prove it. He had two losing seasons in his last 4. That isn't acceptable. Fulmer proved during his career that he had to have superior talent to win. He wasn't a "coach 'em up" type. His successful teams outalented the opposition for the most part. At that level, it is mostly about talent. Schemes are great, but players making plays win and lose games.

Couple that with the fact that he refused to make needed coaching changes, and when he did bring a coach in he didn't let him coach - see Dave Clawson for proof of that. Clawson had success before he got to UT, and he had done well with is offense at Bowling Green. Fulmer's thumb was on his every move at UT and he wouldn't let Clawson do what he felt like the offense needed. Fulmer has nobody to blame but himself, and UT is paying the price for the way he ran the program in the ground. Fulmer's blind loyalty to coaches who weren't getting it done was a big part of his downfall, as well.

What am I thinking? Since you asked, I am thinking that the UT program is where it is in large part because Phillip Fulmer ran it in the ground in the last 3-4 years he was here. He quit doing what he allegedly did best - recruit - and on only has to look at the drop off in the number of NFL draft picks UT has had in the last couple of years to prove it. He had two losing seasons in his last 4. That isn't acceptable. Fulmer proved during his career that he had to have superior talent to win. He wasn't a "coach 'em up" type. His successful teams outalented the opposition for the most part. At that level, it is mostly about talent. Schemes are great, but players making plays win and lose games.

Couple that with the fact that he refused to make needed coaching changes, and when he did bring a coach in he didn't let him coach - see Dave Clawson for proof of that. Clawson had success before he got to UT, and he had done well with is offense at Bowling Green. Fulmer's thumb was on his every move at UT and he wouldn't let Clawson do what he felt like the offense needed. Fulmer has nobody to blame but himself, and UT is paying the price for the way he ran the program in the ground. Fulmer's blind loyalty to coaches who weren't getting it done was a big part of his downfall, as well.

Clawson was doomed to failure in his attempt at implementing a very complicated offense with the players he had to work with at UT. Fulmer's mistake was hiring him in the first place and giving him the latitude he did.

Edited by TomJoad

Clawson was doomed to failure in his attempt at implementing a very complicated offense with the players he had to work with at UT. Fulmer's mistake was hiring him in the first place and giving him the latitude he did.

If D1AA players and now D1A players can learn and implement the Clawson offense in a short time, they why couldn't UT players? Were the UT players that stupid? I don't think so.

That defense just isn't reasonable nor is it realistic. Clawson wasn't given the ability to implement his offense. Fulmer's thumb was too firmly on top of him. Fulmer brough him in to do a job and then wouldn't allow him to do that job. That's entirely on Fulmer.

Edited by HTV

pxtra2010,

Do you really think Teddy Williams, as good as he is at the under 12 level, can help coach at HHS and be a productive coach with all they have to do? And the same goes for Tom Burnette? If thats the case hire them to be the head coach at HHS.

I think Ted Williams would out coach Teddy Williams anyday.

I really hurt for the boys after this game tonight. Coffman can throw the ball but nobody can catch it. Long was all over the field on both sides of the ball he'll be hurting tomorrow. Brown looked good running the ball. It will click keep working Big Red.

I agree ZCAR - tough to watch those boys who want it bad and just can't seem to get there.

I feel for the Red Devils! Nobody wants to see their years go out this way especially the seniors! As for starting to talk about some of the coaches in your area like this, I feel it needs to stop. I don't have a dog in the fight when it comes to talking about Halls, BUT I am GOOD Friends with Teddy Williams! Any body that puts the time & effort he does in a youth football program WITHOUT having a tie to the team, like a son or family member, should be THANKED and not picked at like above. I think Teddy would do a good job coaching HS, BUT he has a job. Coaching is something he does as a way to connect to the kids & future of HALLS. When the youth program almost ran him out a few years back, he STAYED LOYAL to Halls and came back when they came to their senses! He is a rare find for ANY youth program!!! How many of you would love to have a coach for any sport that is not tied to anyone on the team? This is what most parents hope for so there would be no favoritism! Please leave these coaches out of your discussions. I know Teddy is GOOD Friends with Coach Julian also.

Well put!

If D1AA players and now D1A players can learn and implement the Clawson offense in a short time, they why couldn't UT players? Were the UT players that stupid? I don't think so.

That defense just isn't reasonable nor is it realistic. Clawson wasn't given the ability to implement his offense. Fulmer's thumb was too firmly on top of him. Fulmer brough him in to do a job and then wouldn't allow him to do that job. That's entirely on Fulmer.

Funny how people look at things so differently I thought Fulmer got too lazy and gave Clawson to much leeway to accelerate his downfall. The biggest miss for me in the Fulmer years was defensive guru John Chavis. But I'm on board the Dooley bandwagon but my thoughts I was trying to make similar to UT Halls to regain a foothold to even make the playoffs again is change in philosphy especially on offense.

I just want to say that Halls does have some outstanding players that still have heart for the game and I for one have not gave up on these guys. I hate the way things are going this season, but with a 0-7 season I am still a fan. It takes a lot for these young men to get out there every day in practice,play hard friday night with out a win and then go back on Monday and start all over again.

I have a couple of comments towards a couple of players - First, I want to commend Long for an outstanding game. This kid is a player and with a 0-7 record, obviously still plays with heart. Unbelievable athlete and hope he is getting recognized for it. Brown also had a good game this week, upset fumble but still had a good game and doing a good job at fullback. Burleigh made some plays happen and Starret got some yardage in. Nice to see kids that want to be out there and still love the game regardless of their record.

I just want to say that Halls does have some outstanding players that still have heart for the game and I for one have not gave up on these guys. I hate the way things are going this season, but with a 0-7 season I am still a fan. It takes a lot for these young men to get out there every day in practice,play hard friday night with out a win and then go back on Monday and start all over again.

I have a couple of comments towards a couple of players - First, I want to commend Long for an outstanding game. This kid is a player and with a 0-7 record, obviously still plays with heart. Unbelievable athlete and hope he is getting recognized for it. Brown also had a good game this week, upset fumble but still had a good game and doing a good job at fullback. Burleigh made some plays happen and Starret got some yardage in. Nice to see kids that want to be out there and still love the game regardless of their record.

Good post. Opportunities are still out there. Lets close on a positive note and take the knowledge into the start of the upcoming season.

A old song by the eighties group The Cars "Shake it up" would be a good anthem.

Well put!

If it was so "Well put", why in a previous post (Just before this one) did you take a shot at Teddy?!?! LEAVE THE OTHERS OUT! This is the type of thing & posts in public that really gives the programs their BLACK EYES and HURT Feelings! I am referring to seeing what all you have to say about the team and others that are not even involved!

Everyone has their OWN opinion, but when you start going public with them, it usually stirs up trouble. I don't know your situations at Halls, but what I have found is the ones doing the most talking are usually the ones that are doing the least or almost nothing to help the team! I was Booster Pres for our Baseball team & saw it all too often. Some of the posters on this topic are true Red Devils, even I can see that, but some are just making things worse!

I like CoachT for the most part, but things like this lead me to say that CoachT is no place to publish your thoughts for the ENTIRE PUBLIC to view. Take care of things "In House", at Booster Meetings, Team Meetings, & parent conferences. This is the thing that I do not like about CoachT, it gives a person a way to voice their opinion & hide. (My screen name says who I am)

Good Luck to the Red Devils the rest of the way! I hope you find answers to your problems!

If it was so "Well put", why in a previous post (Just before this one) did you take a shot at Teddy?!?! LEAVE THE OTHERS OUT! This is the type of thing & posts in public that really gives the programs their BLACK EYES and HURT Feelings! I am referring to seeing what all you have to say about the team and others that are not even involved!

Everyone has their OWN opinion, but when you start going public with them, it usually stirs up trouble. I don't know your situations at Halls, but what I have found is the ones doing the most talking are usually the ones that are doing the least or almost nothing to help the team! I was Booster Pres for our Baseball team & saw it all too often. Some of the posters on this topic are true Red Devils, even I can see that, but some are just making things worse!

I like CoachT for the most part, but things like this lead me to say that CoachT is no place to publish your thoughts for the ENTIRE PUBLIC to view. Take care of things "In House", at Booster Meetings, Team Meetings, & parent conferences. This is the thing that I do not like about CoachT, it gives a person a way to voice their opinion & hide. (My screen name says who I am)

Good Luck to the Red Devils the rest of the way! I hope you find answers to your problems!

My "WELL PUT" comment was towards Teddy Williams and what type of person by putting his time into the youth program and having done so for so many years. I AS WELL AM VERY GOOD FRIENDS WITH TEDDY WILLIAMS (youth league). I know what type of man he is and what he has done. My well put was for him.

This is a message board to be able to post opinions just as you have done your self. I am a true fan to the REd Devils myself and have been for Many, Many, Many years and I hate seeing them going through what they have gone through. I am first for the young men on the field and commend them for working hard to try to get a win. Its hard to sit back and watch these kids go through a losing season. You commented on out "situation at Halls" so I guess you are not a true Red Devils fan, but we have seen the losing seasons go down when they should have been coming up. I don't think TW (HHS) is the man for the OC job, never have. THAT IS MY OPINION! I am allowed to have that opinion and post if need be. Just as you have posted your opinions yourself and your opinion to my comment. As far as your name telling who you are, all i see is Solo-mon 2.

I support the Halls Red Devils win and lose, but it will start and finish with the boys on the field. I hope the answers to the problems are found as well.