Curious about Maryville

UPSGregg

I've heard so much about Maryville football over the past few years. I first heard of them when I was in high school during my sophmore or junior year. We had gotten creamed by Brentwood Academy that year 56-12 and during the playoffs that year one night I heard where Maryville had beaten Brentwood Academy and I couldn't believe there could actually have been a better team than BA that year. Now the past 3 or 4 years I've heard about how good they have been. My parents moved there about a year ago and I plan on trying to catch a game if I'm ever there visiting them during football season. I heard somewhere that the town sort of shuts down for the games and that it is kind of like the town in the movie "Varsity Blues". Is this true? Does the whole town bleed the Maryville school colors?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by UPSGregg:

I've heard so much about Maryville football over the past few years. I first heard of them when I was in high school during my sophmore or junior year. We had gotten creamed by Brentwood Academy that year 56-12 and during the playoffs that year one night I heard where Maryville had beaten Brentwood Academy and I couldn't believe there could actually have been a better team than BA that year. Now the past 3 or 4 years I've heard about how good they have been. My parents moved there about a year ago and I plan on trying to catch a game if I'm ever there visiting them during football season. I heard somewhere that the town sort of shuts down for the games and that it is kind of like the town in the movie "Varsity Blues". Is this true? Does the whole town bleed the Maryville school colors?

I don't know when you were in high school but maryville has not played brentwood academy since the 1978 state championship game. they beat them that year 21-14 and also beat them for the state title in 1976. maryville is a lot bigger town than it use to be so i don't know that i would say the whole town shuts down. but there is a lot of support and the stadium faces the main street in downtown so anyone driving through sees the game going on.

Posted by caligula:

The town does not shut down by anymeans, but you know when its game time for sure. The atmosphere is wonderful and you wont be sorry.

Hey Cali!...The Victory Cone Cakes are making a special appearance after the game this week. If you're there stop by the locker room door...the rest of you Red Rebel posters are welcome also.

I agree that the town does not shut down. Maryville is just getting to big for that to happen anymore. There are too many other things for people to do. But with all that being said, we still have tremendous community support. At all the games it's almost like a class reunion. People that you don't see that often, you always see at MHS on Friday nights. The thing that appeals to me the most as being a Rebel alumnus, is the campus is located on the same spot as it has been for years. Maryville has gone extensive renovations over the years, but a concerted effort was taken to make sure the school retained it's old school architecturial feel. Maryville has a beautiful campus located in a historical district. Plus the football field is in the same place it's been since 1926. It just don't get any better on Friday night, than on west Broadway in Maryville. Go Rebs.

Guest cruiser71red

As a long time Rebel fan, I can honestly say there is a wonderful feeling walking through the residential area on the way to see the traditon continue. 1970, down in Loudon to capture their first State Championship and of course, all the years in Nashville and Murfreesboro I have attended all of them and they just keep tasting sweeter. I'll tell you what, if you have an opportunity to attend a Rebel home game or a 7 hour all day Vol game, you will definately gain your money's worth with a block walk and 2 1/2 hour game at "THE SKEETER". After all, for you deserving fans, what was the ratio last year in Murfreesboro for the championship game? I believe it was about 3 to 1 and we drove a heck of few more miles. It is really not over confidence, it's just a way of life. The same kids which are playing in the Grasshopper league now will be expected to be playing for the Gold football in about ten years from now. It's just like the sun setting, no matter how fast you mow the yard, the sun will eventually go down. Get healthy Rebels. We will need everyone of you guys this Friday. GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!

Red Rebel Football is the biggest thing in Maryville if you are a Maryville fan. STARS hit it on the head. A Maryville football game is like a class reunion. Get there early if you go.It gets packed real fast.

Everything about the football game is great. I love the hear the Maryville Marching band beat them drums as the band is marching from the band room to the field. I like hearing the fightsong and seeing the Rebels run through the banner and to the sideline. Listening the Skeeter Shields all these years call the game and listening to Greg Judkins now. Skeeter was good. Greg Judkins is doing a great job.

Most of all I like watching Maryville win football games.

I guess what I really wanted to know is how Maryville keeps "reloading" year after year. Like what kind of a "feeder program" is their in Maryville? Do all the Maryville teams grow up playing together on the same team all the way up to high school? I know the feeder program here in Clarksville is the worst. Actually, we didn't even have one in my days. I'm not sure they do now. I played for Clarksville High and we had all played against each other in little league ball or at least heard of each other. This is a military town too so you might play with a guy one year then next year, or sooner, he'll be gone because his dad got shipped off to another base or country. We've had very few football teams in this town (at any school) over the past 30 years and the few we've had were due to getting great coaches for a brief time like Rick Butler in the 95, 96 season at Northeast High. I heard he coaches at Maryville College now. What is Maryville's secret?

Feeder programs are great in middle school and elementary all every boy talks about on Friday is their brother playing for the Rebels or someone they know playing for the Rebels and how they are going to be just like them. We start them young and get the full potential out of them during highschool! In Clarksville they hardly have anything, do they have a baseball program now, like little league? I remember when I lived there like 9-10 years ago, maybe less, their baseball fields and little league were terrible to non-exisitent. I was used to Murfreesboro with high class fields and moved to Clarksville and couldn't take it, we moved before baseball season started! =o) TO answer your question...yes feeder programs are priority. Also we don't really "reload" we don't have a huge amount of great players, we just know how to play like a team!