CAK @ Scott Co.

FootballDad

The "reworked" crown still has issues other than the grass & sand, its lopsided. But, hey, that was just an observation, it didn't come into play as an advantage for either team. When funds are tight I'm sure athletic fields don't take priority (nor should they). No disrespect intended to the field crew.

Certainly fatique played a part, at least in my opinion it did. But the first TD in the 4th Qtr on the corner route was just a perfect pass & catch, the second TD of the Qtr the receiver blew by everyone and there didn't appear to be any safety help, which may or may not have been fatique related, and the final TD on the up the gut run was well blocked but I certainly believe fatique played a part in that one. Also, CAK's defense put a great deal more pressure on the QB in the second half and that could have been a result of fatique from the Highlanders OL. And I'm confident that if CAK had needed to score at the end they probably could have because by that time Scott appeared to be physically and emotionally spent. But I'm not discounting the renewed effort and adjustments that CAK made in the second half. The first half CAK looked like the tired, weary (4 road games in a row), banged up, team I knew them to be coming into the game. Thats one of the reasons I was concerned about the game. But in the second half they came out and from the first snap played more like themselves.

Yes, CAK still platoons. We have 1 OL/DL player and a couple of WR/DB players that will get some snaps on both sides of the ball, but are still given enough plays off to catch their breath. Of course we all still debate that somewhat around here due to the fact that we only have 54-56 eligible players including our freshmen. I think for the most part CAK is able to use the platoon system to their advantage, and perhaps that is what gave them the edge agaisnt Scott (although I believe CAK is the overall better team straight up). But when the Warriors face good teams like Loudon & Elizabethton or very good teams like Alcoa, not having your very best athletes on the field all the time (when the other teams do) is a disadvantage IMO.

I agree that CAK is the better overall team & I believe the team that should have won did. As for the platoon / fatigue issue, I wasn't trying to take anything away from the warriors win or make excuses for the Scott team. The Highlanders are a hard nosed bunch that work their tails off & I for one am proud of their heart & effort. Playing the caliber of teams they have been aligned with for the last 10 years (CAK definitely included) has made them tough as nails & they aren't afraid to strap it up with anyone. Their major obstacle is & always has been depth. That & there is probably as much talent walking the halls as there is on the field.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that CAK is the better overall team & I believe the team that should have won did. As for the platoon / fatigue issue, I wasn't trying to take anything away from the warriors win or make excuses for the Scott team. The Highlanders are a hard nosed bunch that work their tails off & I for one am proud of their heart & effort. Playing the caliber of teams they have been aligned with for the last 10 years (CAK definitely included) has made them tough as nails & they aren't afraid to strap it up with anyone. Their major obstacle is & always has been depth. That & there is probably as much talent walking the halls as there is on the field.

Crow, I hope you noticed on my first post after the game I was quick to acknowledge the Highlanders. I think you should be proud of them, they are exactly as you described, hard nosed and play with a lot of heart. They also have a couple real nice players that I mentioned earlier. If some of that other talent would come out and play it would certainly help Scott finish stronger. Is it work, not liking the coach, laziness, or what that keeps them off the gridiron?

Crow, I hope you noticed on my first post after the game I was quick to acknowledge the Highlanders. I think you should be proud of them, they are exactly as you described, hard nosed and play with a lot of heart. They also have a couple real nice players that I mentioned earlier. If some of that other talent would come out and play it would certainly help Scott finish stronger. Is it work, not liking the coach, laziness, or what that keeps them off the gridiron?

I was impressed with Scott. Some really good athletes, excellent team speed, a very good, new coach. I don't understand why a school the size of Scott would have that few players. Scott is in a tough division and their record at the end of the season will not tell the true story of what kind of team they have. If they could have gotten more kids out to add depth they could have been a really tough team this year.

I did notice that in your earlier post. GVK I'm gonna respond to you & fbdad together. Scott has had VERY LIMITED success in the history of the school. This is a rural area with many kids HAVING to work to contribute to the family income. If not the really important X's & O's of life don't line up. Another factor that probably has even more influence on the numbers is a lot of students don't have enough "want to" to play when the only thing they have known about the Highlanders results are almost no play off history & an end result of sub .500 typically. Add in a couple games each year of alcoa like beatings (prior to the realignment it was Fulton, AE, Catholic) & most just say forget it.

I did notice that in your earlier post. GVK I'm gonna respond to you & fbdad together. Scott has had VERY LIMITED success in the history of the school. This is a rural area with many kids HAVING to work to contribute to the family income. If not the really important X's & O's of life don't line up. Another factor that probably has even more influence on the numbers is a lot of students don't have enough "want to" to play when the only thing they have known about the Highlanders results are almost no play off history & an end result of sub .500 typically. Add in a couple games each year of alcoa like beatings (prior to the realignment it was Fulton, AE, Catholic) & most just say forget it.

Seems like you've got a good "pulse" on the situation. All sounds reasonable to me. Like GVK I thought Scott was well coached. I don't know anything about who he is or where he came from but it is obvious he has them ready to compete. I hate to see kids not participate when they are capable, you only get 4 years to play high school sports and you never get them back, but teenagers just don't see things that way I guess.

Hopefully Scott County will get more and more kids to play in coming years. The team had some very good athletes at skill positions.

From my observations, I would say Scott County might very well be the best coached team CAK has played thus far. Offensively and defensively, the coaches seemed to have the perfect scheme for their players to have the best chance of succeeding against CAK. Good luck, Highlanders.

Hopefully Scott County will get more and more kids to play in coming years. The team had some very good athletes at skill positions.

From my observations, I would say Scott County might very well be the best coached team CAK has played thus far. Offensively and defensively, the coaches seemed to have the perfect scheme for their players to have the best chance of succeeding against CAK. Good luck, Highlanders.

i agree with this. Scott seemed to know what CAK was gonna do the First half offensively, several players even said this. I think CAK was more creative the 2nd half and used the run more to set up the pass. Good adjustments.

The coaching staff at Scott is a great group of coaches & an even better group of men. I don't personally know the head coach but I have been fortunate to know both coach Sharp (O-coordinator) & coach Lambert (D-coordinator) personally for many years. Coach Sharp is a real X's & O's kinda guy. He can sit & digest film & organize schemes for hours on end. If anyone can get the most out of their kids on offense he can. Coach Lambert is one of the best defensive minds around. He has very complex schemes that he teaches & calls in a way that the players can easily understand. He also has a real knack for putting players in the right spot at the right time. Most importantly these are good christian men that will set the right kind of example for these kids to grow into men. That's the real "Win" in this situation.

The coaching staff at Scott is a great group of coaches & an even better group of men. I don't personally know the head coach but I have been fortunate to know both coach Sharp (O-coordinator) & coach Lambert (D-coordinator) personally for many years. Coach Sharp is a real X's & O's kinda guy. He can sit & digest film & organize schemes for hours on end. If anyone can get the most out of their kids on offense he can. Coach Lambert is one of the best defensive minds around. He has very complex schemes that he teaches & calls in a way that the players can easily understand. He also has a real knack for putting players in the right spot at the right time. Most importantly these are good christian men that will set the right kind of example for these kids to grow into men. That's the real "Win" in this situation.

:thumb: Try to keep those young men surround by men of character. Pray for them & support them, and hopefully you can keep them around for a long while.