• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it starts tonight

William Blount vs Catholic 6:30pm

Heritage vs Bearden 8:00pm

Good Luck everyone

Night 1 over ...

William Blount (who always seems to have their hands full when they play Catholic) builds up some cushion in the second half and then manages to hold off the Lady Irish at the end. WB girls struggled from foul line. Got a couple of key threes from Shelby Click in second half when they went on a run. Lady Govs play Lenoir City on Thursday night.

Bearden gets a great game out of Jai-Jai McCloughin and some great shooting out of the Walsh kid (someone said she was just a freshmen?) to knock off Heritage in a game that was fairly close till midway through the final quarter. Heritage post Whitney Wolfe played a heck of a game. It just seemed like the Lady Mountaineers never could really get any momentum going. They, too, struggled mightily from the foul line. Correct me if anyone can, but to the best of my knowledge this is the first time Coach Howard (Heritage) has lost in the first round of the district tournament ever. Bearden moves on to play Maryville on Thursday night.

Night 1 over ...

William Blount (who always seems to have their hands full when they play Catholic) builds up some cushion in the second half and then manages to hold off the Lady Irish at the end. WB girls struggled from foul line. Got a couple of key threes from Shelby Click in second half when they went on a run. Lady Govs play Lenoir City on Thursday night.

Bearden gets a great game out of Jai-Jai McCloughin and some great shooting out of the Walsh kid (someone said she was just a freshmen?) to knock off Heritage in a game that was fairly close till midway through the final quarter. Heritage post Whitney Wolfe played a heck of a game. It just seemed like the Lady Mountaineers never could really get any momentum going. They, too, struggled mightily from the foul line. Correct me if anyone can, but to the best of my knowledge this is the first time Coach Howard (Heritage) has lost in the first round of the district tournament ever. Bearden moves on to play Maryville on Thursday night.

Probably correct on Heritage....Could be wrong, but I'd say they haven't had back to back losing seasons since the school opened in 1978.

Edited by TwinCityT

Well...here's another report on the 4AAA Girl's Tournament:

Maryville survives and advances ... barely. Already playing without All District Guard Rebekah Singleton, the Lady Rebs were even more shorthanded, missing freshman starter Layla Bangash (flu). Bearden built up a big half-time lead behind some strong play from freshmen Walsh and Norwood. Give Maryville credit for not panicking. They came out pressing in the second half and turned Bearden over a bunch. Still yet, Bearden did a decent job of defending Maryville's strong inside duo of Vaught and Maples. Laney Elrod stepped up big with some timely 3 point shooting. The Lady Rebs had a chance to win in regulation but couldn't work it inside, settled for a 3 point attempt that fell short. Game stayed even through ot, with Vaught drawing a foul with 2 seconds left. She hit one of two and Bearden didn't have a time-out left and was unable to get off a decent attempt. Impressed with Bearden. Very young team ... look for them to be one of the better teams in the district in the next couple of years. Rumor floating around is that last night's game may have been Coach Cowan's last as head coach??? Maryville has their work cut out for them on Saturday night when they face Farragut. It would help a lot if Bangash is back ... guard play will be key for Lady Rebels. I would expect Farragut to pack it in a zone and make Maryville beat them from outside.

In the second game, William Blount's girls put together what I thought was one of their better efforts --- especially second half. Lenoir City competed well in first half, trailing by 1 at break, but it was all WB in second half. WB guard Shelby Click did an outstanding job of defending LC's Tyler Powers. Tyler got 11, but she had to work her butt off all night. Blount had great balance on offense: VanVranken had 14, Wilson had 14, Burstrom and Click had 8, Brittany Tipton had 7 (a 3 at the buzzer to put WB up 1 at the half and a 4 point play during the second half run that pretty much was the "dagger".) It gets much tougher now for the Lady Govs as they face West on Saturday night. If they continue their play from the second half of the LC game, it should be an exciting game. Blount will have to figure out how to slow down West's inside game and they will have to contain the extremely quick point guard from West (Buley?). WB had one of the greatest student cheering sections for a girl's game that I've seen in quite a while. I believe it really made a huge difference last night as the Lady Govs seemed to thrive on the intensity.

Should be a great night of girl's basketball on Saturday night at the Marvin L. Boring Memorial Gymnasium on the Campus of William Blount High School! Can't wait.

Edited by GovMan

Set for the championship game and the consolation game on Tuesday night at WB in girls action. Exciting night on Saturday.

Farragut defeated Maryville in overtime. Maryville once again fell behind but battled back. Lady Rebs lost their two posts, Maples and Vaught, late in the game to fouls. Final foul called on Vaught was "phantom" ... just didn't happen. Referee, it seemed, anticipated the foul and called it, but it should have actually been a travel on Farragut. Farragut did a good job of keeping their cool in a tight game and getting the win. Katie Cargo is a heck of a player. Maryville really killed themselves with turn-overs.

West over William Blount in a very exciting game. WB girls overcame a 9 point half time deficit to even things up throughout the final half. In the end, WB had to foul and West hit their foul shots. Blount played an excellent game and really appear to be playing some of their best ball right now. The Lady Govs did an excellent job of shutting down District Co MVP Lexi Patterson, but Shyra Buly shot well and di Armino (?) played strong also. Was disappointed by some poor sportsmanship displayed by some of West's girls. Won't name names, but a couple really need some discipline. Throwing elbows, taunting, cursing our girls ... shouldn't be tolerated at any level.

Tuesday night should be exciting:

WB vs Maryville at 6:30 in the consolation game. Maryville had defeated WB twice this year. Last game on a last second shot. The WB girls will be pumped and the WB Student Section will be huge. Still yet, they will have a tough chore stopping Vaught and Maples. On the other side, Maryville will have their hands full with WB's quickness and pressing d. Maryville cannot turn the ball over 30+ times and expect to win. Wouldn't be surprised to see WB pack it in on d and zone. Means that somebody (Elrod and/or Damron) is going to need to knock down some outside shots. This one could be very, very close. Vaught and Maples need to stay out of foul trouble.

West vs Farragut at 8:00 in the championship. West girls need a big game out of Lexi and they need Buley and the other guards to stay hot from outside. Di Armino could be the x factor for West. For Farragut, Cargo and Newby need to play their typical big games and they need somebody else (maybe Griswold / Brinson) to have a big night. Two quick teams(West maybe with a little edge here) with solid post games ... I think if West can maintain their composure, they will end up district champs.

• 4 weeks later...

Knox county freshman report

Catholic: haven't seen many freshman players, sure they will "find some"

Catholic has "found" some nice players. Avery Wharton a point guard from Sacred Heart, Allie McClaughlin a 6'1 post from Sacred Heart, Hanna and Hope Hopson two athletic wings from Holston Middle and Brittany Scott a 6'0 atheltic post who led Karns Middle to an 18-3 record this year. Just to ease your thoughts on where these players were found: Avery's dad is an assistant football/track coach at Catholic (and Sacred Heart is a KCHS feeder school) The Hopson twins mother is a guidance counselor at Catholic and Brittany Scott (whose whole family is catholic) is the daughter of the boys assistant coach and he's been there 10 years. David Ball didn't have to look far for his incoming freshman. Also these girls (with the exception of Allie) have played AAU ball together for 4 years now. Looks like the Lady Irish will be building towards the future.

Catholic has "found" some nice players. Avery Wharton a point guard from Sacred Heart, Allie McClaughlin a 6'1 post from Sacred Heart, Hanna and Hope Hopson two athletic wings from Holston Middle and Brittany Scott a 6'0 atheltic post who led Karns Middle to an 18-3 record this year. Just to ease your thoughts on where these players were found: Avery's dad is an assistant football/track coach at Catholic (and Sacred Heart is a KCHS feeder school) The Hopson twins mother is a guidance counselor at Catholic and Brittany Scott (whose whole family is catholic) is the daughter of the boys assistant coach and he's been there 10 years. David Ball didn't have to look far for his incoming freshman. Also these girls (with the exception of Allie) have played AAU ball together for 4 years now. Looks like the Lady Irish will be building towards the future.

Sounds good for the future. District 4AAA had alot of good young players should be good district games ahead ! One question....since Catholic is private will the players that have relatives working at Catholic get a free or reduced tution ? TSSAA surely would overlook this since relatives are school employees!

I wonder how long the Holston mother of the twins has been working at Catholic? Im sure this class will be as successful as the last group of "found" players.