Other State Associations

KCHSCoach

What other states (in the south) have a multiplier on private schools that choose to participate in public school division? Can anyone help me with this, and if you can how big are those multipliers?

The ones that come to my mind are Alabama (1.35), Missouri (1.5), and Illinois (1.65)--granted, only 1.5 of those are in the South. (In the case of Missouri and Illinois, there's really little choice--they don't have a private association as Alabama does.) Plus Arkansas, which moves privates up one class unless they are truly tiny (<80). More common is to simply not allow private schools in the state association, a policy observed strictly in Virginia and Maryland, with rare exceptions in Texas, with more exceptions in the Carolinas and Mississippi, and Georgia's bizarre variant of barring only the small privates (<150 in their case). And then the major weirdnesses of the New York and California systems...

• 4 weeks later...

If people truly want to fix the miltiplier problem in Tennessee they could do the following:

A. Football, Basketball, Baseball & Softball would play in A, AA, AAA & AAAA

b. Soccer, Volleyball, Bowling & Dual Match Wrestling would have both A & AA division

c. Cross Country, Golf, Tennis, Individual Tournament Wrestling & Track/Field are individual sports and should only have one (1) division.

2. Reclassification would take place every four years.

3. All financial aid giving schools must play in 3A or 4A

4. No private schools would be allowed in single A unless they were granted a wavier due to starting a program or unusual circumstances.

5. Single sex schools (all male or all female) would have their enrollment doubled

6. Eliminate the multiplier & everyone play's according to their enrollment

7. In football you should go back to the district format and only the top two teams are eligible for the playoffs.

8. Schools may have the option of playing up a division in one or more sports and playing according to their enrollment level in other sports.

Edited by cbg

If people truly want to fix the miltiplier problem in Tennessee they could do the following:

A. Football, Basketball, Baseball & Softball would play in A, AA, AAA & AAAA

b. Soccer, Volleyball, Bowling & Dual Match Wrestling would have both A & AA division

c. Cross Country, Golf, Tennis, Individual Tournament Wrestling & Track/Field are individual sports and should only have one (1) division.

2. Reclassification would take place every four years.

3. All financial aid giving schools must play in 3A or 4A

4. No private schools would be allowed in single A unless they were granted a wavier due to starting a program or unusual circumstances.

5. Single sex schools (all male or all female) would have their enrollment doubled

6. Eliminate the multiplier & everyone play's according to their enrollment

7. In football you should go back to the district format and only the top two teams are eligible for the playoffs.

8. Schools may have the option of playing up a division is one or more sports and playing according to their enrollment level in other sports.

1c. Add singles bowling to that list. (Team bowling can be two classes.) And I think volleyball should get to keep three classes.

2. Can go either way on that. I do think that if four years is to be the interval for full reclassification, there should be a provision for schools to move up or down on a radical change in enrollment (same as now).

3. Hmm... can't see putting a school of 76 students (Riverside Christian) in the same district as a school of 1,096 (nearby AAA-by-that-rule Tullahoma).

4. Again, one would need to consider the truly tiny schools--there are some as small as 19 (Concord Christian).

5. I don't think there's any objection to that.

6. Depending on your viewpoint, that's either implied or contradicted by the previous. (I would note that moving the smaller schools up wholesale is in many cases even more drastic than a multiplier.)

7. Makes sense with the possible exception of the smallest class (I haven't gone through the actual arrangements of schools there).

8. Agreed, in any enrollment-based system.

And I would add one more point--co-op teams should play in the class where their combined enrollment falls.

1c. Add singles bowling to that list. (Team bowling can be two classes.) And I think volleyball should get to keep three classes.

2. Can go either way on that. I do think that if four years is to be the interval for full reclassification, there should be a provision for schools to move up or down on a radical change in enrollment (same as now).

3. Hmm... can't see putting a school of 76 students (Riverside Christian) in the same district as a school of 1,096 (nearby AAA-by-that-rule Tullahoma).

4. Again, one would need to consider the truly tiny schools--there are some as small as 19 (Concord Christian).

6. Depending on your viewpoint, that's either implied or contradicted by the previous. (I would note that moving the smaller schools up wholesale is in many cases even more drastic than a multiplier.)

7. Makes sense with the possible exception of the smallest class (I haven't gone through the actual arrangements of schools there).

And I would add one more point--co-op teams should play in the class where their combined enrollment falls.

IMO, I could go along with adding singles bowling and having an A & AA champion in team bowling. I am not convinced that volleyball is strong enough in Tennessee to have more than 2 divisions. However, I would be more inclined to have 4 divisions instead of 3 divisions. While looking at the financial aid giving schools I see your concern about a small school that gives financial aid playing against the larger public schools but a line must be drawn somewhere. Maybe you use the waiver rule and the small private school would have to petition the TSSAA for a wavier to play in 2A instead of 3A. You are right that the coop teams should use the combined enrollment from both schools.

The TSSAA has so many divisions now that they should just purchase a state championship trophy for every school and award it to the principal so that everyone feels good. In order to keep everyone happy the TSSAA has just continued to add divisions and it has done nothing more than "water down" the value of winning a state title.

Edited by cbg

• 2 weeks later...

Things are getting closer although everyone won't agree. Haven't mentioned restriction on area school can draw from though, however the size. Even that will have to be tweeked. It is amaazing to me how options start showing up with a little economic downturn showing up. Because public schools have started changing the way their zoning works, there should be a relooking at every district to see how far schools have moved away from the standard and make a concerted effort to improve all schools. Thats the goal.

Edited by PHargis