MBA vs Brentwood Academy

feverpitch

RRR's reply is dead on. And you've been on these boards long enough to have seen the steady coarsening of the "discourse" here, particularly in any thread involving the larger independent schools. As to why this thread is so different from the same thread before last year's game, I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that most of the BA posters have left, or become mere observers. And I'm hard put to blame them. Any thread involving BA attracts an immediate assertion that BA has recruited for all of its history. No one can cite a single specific instance, but it's regarded as holy writ. And as the "Is Ensworth Recruiting" thread shows, the critics are incapable of even the most rudimentary debate, "arguing" that no evidence is necessary. How, and why, do you try to address such willful ignorance?

I agree with the comments by RRR and KW. I check the board once every week or two in season and not at all out of football season. The lack of intelligence is staggering; that coupled with other social media outlets has had a significantly negative impact on this space.

As for the game, I have seen both play a couple of games this year. Brentwood Academy is as talented as normal and has the edge like normal in pure athleticism. That said, MBA has really begun to narrow the gap in terms of talent across the board and in terms of depth. I think it will be a hard fought and close game Friday with the winner not too excited about facing the loser again in the playoffs.

Roll Red Roll!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess would be that Potter will dial it back a little play-calling wise (vs. what he did against EHS), and make MBA prove it can stop the run on the shotgun option. BA plays at a really fast tempo with the no-huddle offense. I think you'll see a lot of the speedy backs taking it to the edge. MBA doesn't have the athleticism EHS has in the back 7. If MBA is going to win, IMO, it's going to be a "bend but don't break" type effort on defense. BA will probably get their yards....but can they convert in the red zone?

MBA's offense has looked a lot better the past 2 games than it did earlier in the season. Can they loosen up the BA defense throwing? Most of MBA's pass attempts go to the sideline. Lining up and running off-tackle won't do it against BA.

MBA is going to have to get some timely turnovers to win...my 2 cents.

I agree with the comments by RRR and KW. I check the board once every week or two in season and not at all out of football season. The lack of intelligence is staggering; that coupled with other social media outlets has had a significantly negative impact on this space.

As for the game, I have seen both play a couple of games this year. Brentwood Academy is as talented as normal and has the edge like normal in pure athleticism. That said, MBA has really begun to narrow the gap in terms of talent across the board and in terms of depth. I think it will be a hard fought and close game Friday with the winner not too excited about facing the loser again in the playoffs.

Roll Red Roll!

I second and third RRR and KW. As a BA supporter I've always been more of a reader than poster - I find myself coming here less and less. I always appreciate what the thoughtful, intelligent remarks/debate by the "old school" coacht-ers - there is less and less of that. That being said - Friday night should be great game - I think MBA and their grind it out, disciplined style may win out in the end. It will be (like the other big DII games this year) who wins the mistake/turnover battle. I'll be pulling for the lighter shade of red - hope it doesn't come down to a try for point after attempt this time.

I think it will be a hard fought and close game Friday with the winner not too excited about facing the loser again in the playoffs.

Roll Red Roll!

That brings up a interesting point about DII playoffs. Is the regular season now watered down some? Knowing that everyone gets into the playoffs, is the regular season just a"preseason"? Let's just wait till the playoff to get serious about the football year. Conserve some, don't show your hand yet. Are they coaching inside the box? Except for Baylor and Ensworth, most other teams have a vanilla flavor during the regular season.My old high school football coach would change the whole offense and defense before a big rival game. The film they were given on us was useless. And lastly....

Have the coaches split their mindset into 2 seasons, "regular" season vs "playoff" season? It seems to be a difficult task to beat the top tier teams twice in one year.

Edited by shakinthefat

That brings up a interesting point about DII playoffs. Is the regular season now watered down some? Knowing that everyone gets into the playoffs, is the regular season just a"preseason"? Let's just wait till the playoff to get serious about the football year. Conserve some, don't show your hand yet. Are they coaching inside the box? Except for Baylor and Ensworth, most other teams have a vanilla flavor during the regular season.My old high school football coach would change the whole offense and defense before a big rival game. The film they were given on us was useless. And lastly....

Have the coaches split their mindset into 2 seasons, "regular" season vs "playoff" season? It seems to be a difficult task to beat the top tier teams twice in one year.

Coach McGugin made reference to this in today's City Paper. I really think over the years the team that loses the regular season game has a big advantage going into the play-offs, especially with BA and MBA playing so late in the season now.

I'm sure there are examples both ways, but I recall BA winning the regular season game last year, '03 (famous or infamous last second FG), and '02, and then losing the rematch in the play-offs...Even a year like '00 (I think? when Ingle Martin kicked the long FG to win the title), where MBA was a lot better, BA came back to make it a dog fight in the rematch.

I'd say lots of fans of all programs are tuning out until the play-offs start. I imagine the temptation is there for the coaches to keep it vanilla...especially if say, you fall behind early.

Edited by big red big blue

My enthusiasm for the games hasn't waned. I will say the wins aren't as redeeming and the losses aren't as depressing, perhaps a byproduct of priority changes in life. However, my enthusiasm for posting has diminished this year more than any other year. It is difficult to have respectful, rational discussions or debates anymore. The manner in which some approach debating these days is perplexing and can leave those who have the ability to separate their own biases from debates totally dumbfounded by the arguments of others. I wouldn't be surprised to find myself a 100% spectator on these boards at some point in the next few years. Whatever side or argument one supports many times can be promoted or elevated merely by just zipping the lips and letting those who can't leave good enough alone steer the course of the debate in a direction just the opposite of the way they think it is going (I think the saying is "...better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"). And if I see one more debate that shows a popcorn-eating emoticon as a demonstration of knowledge or as a counter to a valid, well-thought out argument, I may swear off these boards completely.

I think at least one title game participant will come from this game. Of course, given that has happened 12 of the 13 years, that's not exactly a stretch. I'll be rooting for the crimson team.

Hello to everyone who dont like my bring your popcorn phrase. If you look at all my posts, which has not been many this year. Bring your popcorn is a saying for my boys Joshua and Jordan Smith who play for BGA. I'm a proud dad and have enjoyed watching my boys have a good season together. Its rare to have two brother play on the same team and both have success. As far as the knowing football. I know my share. BGA played MBA and BA and I think BA will win if they use their weapons at receiver. Yes their running game is awesome but they have not used all of their weapons. I dont like to make prediction but love to watch a great game. We know all to well that we had MBA beat but did not seal the deal. MBA and BA are great teams and this should be another great game. BGA plays Pope John Paul tonite so as usual. Bring your popcorn and enjoy the game. I hope everyone is injury free and go Wildcats.

Edited by msms06

Hello to everyone who dont like my bring your popcorn phrase. If you look at all my posts, which has not been many this year. Bring your popcorn is a saying for my boys Joshua and Jordan Smith who play for BGA.

Honestly, I did not know that was a phrase you used. Nevertheless, note that I said the use of the popcorn "emoticon" was my issue, not the saying of the phrase. For context, go to "Grins and Chuckles" and see post 7 on the first page. That's what I'm talking about - throwing a wordless, popcorn-emoticonned response into a discussion - which carries no value and implies contempt.

You shouldn't be offended.

Honestly, I did not know that was a phrase you used. Nevertheless, note that I said the use of the popcorn "emoticon" was my issue, not the saying of the phrase. For context, go to "Grins and Chuckles" and see post 7 on the first page. That's what I'm talking about - throwing a wordless, popcorn-emoticonned response into a discussion - which carries no value and implies contempt.

You shouldn't be offended.

I did feel a little offended but thanks. I will check out the other post. Thanks have a great day.

msms06, please do read the other thread. You will then understand that it was by no means a direct or indirect reference to you.

Food for thought as we enter tonight's game:

Baylor 17-11 61%

Father Ryan 26-12 68%

CBHS 42-14 75%

McCallie 30-8 79%

MUS 37-4 90%

BA 24-2 92%

MBA 31-2 94%

Total 207-53 80%

What are these numbers? These are the original large DII schools' records versus non-DII teams and non-out of state teams since the split in 1997 (and by no means do I mean to exclude the current other large DII schools - EHS, BGA, etc. - I just threw these up for the sake of time. I will try to add those later). There may be an error or two, for which I apologize.

I read on another thread that "DII IS NOT the elite high school football in the state of TN...It is far from it!". You know, there are good teams in all classes - classes of any enrollment, public or private. And the definition of "elite" probably differs from person to person - is it representation by the best team in a certain class, or a set of teams that make up the class?

I don't care if DII represents elite high school football in this state. Whatever the answer is, I'd just like to thank all of the schools for a heckuva lot of entertainment the past 13 years. Win or lose, it has been a blast.

RRR

Edited by rollredroll