MBA vs Brentwood Academy

feverpitch

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that the practice of hiring alums at the expense of going out and getting the best teachers/administrators possible has hurt MBA yet again. Beginning in the fall of 2008, teams with explosive options on offense have had an abundance of big plays against the Big Red defense.

I think MBA's defensive difficulties are more a product of Floyd Elliot's departure than hiring alumni. I'm pretty comfortable with McGugin's record (though I'm not important enough to even obtain the name, let alone a conference, with the recruiting director). Prior to him, Bowers was the last alumni coach since Howard Allen ('34-'50), who was 102-38-13. One benefitr to an alumnus coaching lies int he fact that he would have an understanding of both the academic rigirs of MBA, and the unique aspects of an all male school.

Most of MBA's trouble last night revovles around the fact that BA has a better football team: more athletes, and vastly superior speed. This is not to say MBA can't win against BA, but there are certain things that have to happen.

First, MBA needs to stay ahead of the downs. Over 3 plays, MBA seems to pick up between 7-12 yds usually. Too many times last night, they lost yardage on runs that never made it to the edge, or on penalties. A 5 yd penalty is a drive killer for this team as a rule, and holding penalty is a stake in the heart fater the head has been severed.

Along the same lines, MBA never really had decent field position, and while Riegle is a pretty capable HS punter, Lassing is missed badly.

MBA's lifeblood is the turnover, and BA had none last night. In fact, I'm a litttle hard put to identify any real mistake at all from BA. They had two penalties that I recall, the most devastating a 7 yd pass interference call. The MBA announcers were saying on every long pass that interference could have been called. The streaming video didn't often catch that part of the play, but realistically, you're not going to get that call more than twice in a game under any circumstances, and at 15 yrds, I don't know how much it would have helped.

As a bottom line, again, I think BA has a better team. If both teams play a good game, BA wins it, albeit I think it's close. BA played what appeared to me to be a top flight game, and MBA made some mistakes, and that accounts for the wide and disturbing margin.

I listened to this game on the radio last night on the way home from another game. I have listened to the MBA announcers in the past and was generally impressed by their comments and sportsmanship. I guess they are only good sports when they are winning.

Last night, in a period of the five minutes that I listened, I heard them denigrate or criticize:

1) The BA kicker (who missed an XP last year in the playoffs)

2) The officials

3) The BA head coach

4) The MBA starting QB

5) The BA starting QB

The announcers should remember that these are high school kids who are not paid professionals (although some of their teammates may be getting close to that). Lighten up and live up to your school's motto.

Honestly, I did not know that was a phrase you used. Nevertheless, note that I said the use of the popcorn "emoticon" was my issue, not the saying of the phrase. For context, go to "Grins and Chuckles" and see post 7 on the first page. That's what I'm talking about - throwing a wordless, popcorn-emoticonned response into a discussion - which carries no value and implies contempt.

You shouldn't be offended.

You know well by now that there is nothing one can say without somebody

being offended. It's a mindset.

Edited by owlbooster