Maury Co. Situation

Gerry Bertier

I do not know how many have been keeping up with this across the mid-state, but Maury Co. schools have canceled classes for Monday due to not passing a budget. That means football teams across the county can't practice Monday, and won't be able to play next Friday night if a solution is not met.

What impact will that have on Columbia, Spring Hill, and Mt. Pleasant High Schools?

Mt. Pleasant at 4-3 doesn't need to take a loss or lose a chance at a win this late in the season to make the 2A playoffs.

Spring Hill at 2-5 needs to win their last 3 games to get in the playoffs.

Columbia at 6-2 is in the playoffs and is playing for seeding at this point in time.

This could get messy, would the teams be forced to forfeit or just cancel their games?

I do not know how many have been keeping up with this across the mid-state, but Maury Co. schools have canceled classes for Monday due to not passing a budget. That means football teams across the county can't practice Monday, and won't be able to play next Friday night if a solution is not met.

What impact will that have on Columbia, Spring Hill, and Mt. Pleasant High Schools?

Mt. Pleasant at 4-3 doesn't need to take a loss or lose a chance at a win this late in the season to make the 2A playoffs.

Spring Hill at 2-5 needs to win their last 3 games to get in the playoffs.

Columbia at 6-2 is in the playoffs and is playing for seeding at this point in time.

This could get messy, would the teams be forced to forfeit or just cancel their games?

Forfeit or cancel wouldn't matter either way since playoffs are based on total victories. Why can't they still practice? Are the locker rooms locked down?

Forfeit or cancel wouldn't matter either way since playoffs are based on total victories. Why can't they still practice? Are the locker rooms locked down?

They can not practice cause the whole system is shut down. I would venture to say due to liability and insurance issues. All extra curricular activities are canceled starting Monday until school is back on.

Forfeit and Canceled is a good question for the other teams since the playoffs is based on total victories. A forfeit gives them a win, a cancellation gives them nothing.

http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/articles/2010/10/15/top_stories/001close.txt

Check out the link above. TSSAA alows for for 20 days after school closings for things to be settled. For now athletic events will go on as planned.

Thanks for the article so if Columbia makes a push like they did last year they could be forced to drop out of the playoffs. Don't know how I feel about school not being in session due to budget constraints but athletic events still going on. But I guess they will let them play.