Gordonsville vs Clay Co.

pasttiger

Where's Boarhog and Hyline?

I figured they'd be on here this week.

Hello there Croz. Sorry bout the absence. I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off (Bushhoggin' and wathchin' my 6 month old boy). I was so disgusted with Clay after the Jackson game and wasn't very excited about Pickett so I took a little CoachT break. Anyway, here's my thoughts. Your right Clay has some fair sized young men but compared to Gville's they're as weak as water. That being said, nobody's gonna win a football game where the battle is lost on the line of scrimmage. I've gotta give Gville the thumbs up in that aspect. Unless Clay's line eats a lot of Wheaties their gonna have a long night. I know that Woodmore and Smith are awesome, but with those monsters blocking for you who wouldn't be. If Clay can get a few 1st downs and run the clock they might be able to hold off the avalanche. They need to play the best game they can possibly play to be in it. We will see what happens. The last time the Tigers came to Celina they lost 41-14 or something like that(granted Clay was senior heavy and Gville young that year). But I for one would like to see history repeat itself. I won't hold my breath though. :rolleyes:

I know Clay always has athletes, and Gville used to have some great battles with them, but what has happened in the past decade.

We had some fairly good teams when I played, and we never blew Celina out, and they beat us once.

My senior year in 98, it seemed like they didn't have a lineman under 250, and they had one really big athletic one that I couldn't do nothing with.

yea i'm sure about every bulldawg fan would kill to see football like it used to be around here, hope one day it can get back like that. good luck to the dawgs, you guys can't throw in the towel right after the coin toss! prove some people wrong :thumb:

yea absolutley love this post never throw in the towel is my goal and yea celinas line has a fit in front of them this friday but to me from the crowd looks like on passes that we got decent pass blocking just got to be smarter in the backfeild for one they got to catch the ball for 2 everyone cant dance and jewk i mean woodmore dont do it and he gets his yards so when some of the recievers get the ball i think they need to try to run people over not DANCE, but on run blocking celina can definetly improve. but have they been taught to block correctly is my ? cuz idk

Edited by manOmanUgotKILLED

Hello there Croz. Sorry bout the absence. I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off (Bushhoggin' and wathchin' my 6 month old boy). I was so disgusted with Clay after the Jackson game and wasn't very excited about Pickett so I took a little CoachT break. Anyway, here's my thoughts. Your right Clay has some fair sized young men but compared to Gville's they're as weak as water. That being said, nobody's gonna win a football game where the battle is lost on the line of scrimmage. I've gotta give Gville the thumbs up in that aspect. Unless Clay's line eats a lot of Wheaties their gonna have a long night. I know that Woodmore and Smith are awesome, but with those monsters blocking for you who wouldn't be. If Clay can get a few 1st downs and run the clock they might be able to hold off the avalanche. They need to play the best game they can possibly play to be in it. We will see what happens. The last time the Tigers came to Celina they lost 41-14 or something like that(granted Clay was senior heavy and Gville young that year). But I for one would like to see history repeat itself. I won't hold my breath though. :rolleyes:

lets hope it s another 41 14 not vice versa

Edited by manOmanUgotKILLED

I know Clay always has athletes, and Gville used to have some great battles with them, but what has happened in the past decade.

We had some fairly good teams when I played, and we never blew Celina out, and they beat us once.

My senior year in 98, it seemed like they didn't have a lineman under 250, and they had one really big athletic one that I couldn't do nothing with.

now your talking my years we had some battles with g-ville in the late 90s still havnt got over the 1997 game celina was up by 5 with one minute to go g-ville scored a 95yd td on 4th and 5 on the 5 :angry: had some great games guess we butted heads a couple times

'97 Season/'98 Graduation year or '98 Season/'99 Graduation year Croz?

Let me get in on this....not the topic at hand. I think G'vlle rolls, but......

You all are talking my era (97 season - 98 Grad)...as you already know Croz. Hyline...Boarhog...If I played against you, I have nothing but respect. The CELINA teams that I used to know were pretty dang good. You guys always had monsters. Now my Sr. year wasn't that close, but that was the case with everyone. Regardless, you guys advanced in the playoffs far enough to face us again. Man...our old region used to be pretty tough. I wish you all were still on the same level as back then. Add in FCS now, and it makes our Region/District much, much stronger. Just curious to what has happened in Clay Co. since those days. I definitely would like to meet you all sometime.

Best of luck to both teams. Hope it's an injury free game. :thumb:

I think Clay should change their name back to Celina. That may be part of why they aren't like they use to be. :rolleyes:

I don't know about Maxfield, but it's got to be the coaching. For the most part the athletes have been there. The facilities are a definite upgrade from the old place.

That only leaves a few things.

I would've liked to have seen Brown stay, but you can't blame him for going home.

This coach may be the one who turns it around, I sure hope so.

I think Clay should change their name back to Celina. That may be part of why they aren't like they use to be. :rolleyes:

I don't know about Maxfield, but it's got to be the coaching. For the most part the athletes have been there. The facilities are a definite upgrade from the old place.

That only leaves a few things.

I would've liked to have seen Brown stay, but you can't blame him for going home.

This coach may be the one who turns it around, I sure hope so.

Clay made a couple of bone head hires for coaches with atkins and mcdaniel back to back brown was a great fit but like you said nobody can blame him for leaving maxfield i believe can bring it back first hometown hire since 99 i really think next year will be a good year lot of talent coming back they do lose some good players but the core will be back most as three year starters the main problem is heart the kids now just dont have as much 15 years ago we were expected to win if we didnt we got ragged all week at school at home and in town now if they lose its just whatever and they go on like nothing happened the youth seem to be more excited about football now so maybe they can get back on track go dawgs and as far as Clay going back to Celina dont even get me started

Edited by hyline

Let me get in on this....not the topic at hand. I think G'vlle rolls, but......

You all are talking my era (97 season - 98 Grad)...as you already know Croz. Hyline...Boarhog...If I played against you, I have nothing but respect. The CELINA teams that I used to know were pretty dang good. You guys always had monsters. Now my Sr. year wasn't that close, but that was the case with everyone. Regardless, you guys advanced in the playoffs far enough to face us again. Man...our old region used to be pretty tough. I wish you all were still on the same level as back then. Add in FCS now, and it makes our Region/District much, much stronger. Just curious to what has happened in Clay Co. since those days. I definitely would like to meet you all sometime.

Best of luck to both teams. Hope it's an injury free game. :thumb:

Yeah, you guys were the best high school team that I ever stepped on the field with. I was a sophomore playing safety and Hyline was a senior playing tight end and linebacker. I still recall half of the names: Payne, Dalton, Osborne, Timberlake, Suggs, Marshall. We weren't bad. I always was curious about what we could have done if we hadn't have had to play you guys in the 2nd Round. Croz that tackle your talking about was Chat Holoway. He was 6'4'' 270ish and could move fairly well. He reminds me of some of Gville's guys now. The problems in Clay County are hard to place a finger on. The fisrt bad year Celina had for along time was in 1999. They went 0-10 and missed the playoffs for the first time in 18 consecutive seasons. When those seniors were in 8th grade there were 18 of them and when they played as seniors there were two. An upswing of the boys basketball program could have played a role with that, but thats not a good excuse. Celina was miserable from '99-'02. Then in '03 they went 7-3 and made the playoffs. '04-'07 saw four more years of pitifulness. When Dickie Brown came in '07 he slightly turned the program around to 5-5, and then led them to 7-3 and another playoff birth in '08. Maxfield recorded a 4-6 record in '09 in his 1st year as the head man. The program is better than it was from '99-'06 (excluding '03), but not near the level it was at from the early '80s-'98. I'm not sure what the answer is. Poor coaching?, Lack of talent?, Poor player commitment (offseason included)? I tend to think it may the latter. As a group it seems to me that the modern Clay teams lack the toughness, determination, and heart of their predecessors. That's not to say that all of their players are this way, but from the outside looking in it seems that as a cohesive group they are lacking the passion it takes to be successful.