MUS vs CBHS

footballace1

This game is probably one of the most exciting games to attend in west TN every year. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it this year, but the game will be televised on Fox Sports South on the "Yall vs Us" series. This should be a close matchup between two very good teams. MUS has an excellent offense that mostly relies on the passing game, and has a sub-par defense this year mostly due to A LOT of injuries ( they have the most sophmores I have ever seen start on an MUS team). CBHS has been known for their stout defense, especially against the run. From what I have seen of their offense, they don't appear to put up many points, and they rely on their ground game more than passing. I expect this one to come down to the wire, but if MUS can keep their QB protected, I think MUS might be able to pull it off. 24-21 MUS

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree should be a great game, I hope we can hang with MUS. Speaking of sophmores, we also start and play a bunch of them. Our soph and freshman class are very strong, if we have any lineman in two years CBHS will be very tough, IMO. I hope for the best this week, I know it will take a mistake free game to beat them.

Get there early friday!

Like most of the games in this series, it should be close. CBHS seems to have an edge in overall defense but is a little shaky against the pass. MUS may have a slight edge in the kicking game and overall offense, more so in passing. As always, TOs will be critical and probably will make the difference ultimately.

You can throw statistics out of the window for this game. This game means alot for both teams and programs. Bragging rights for a year are on the line here. CBHS has kept this game close the past two years against far superior MUS teams. This should be a great game between two good well matched teams. Plagued by injuries, Mus seams to be getting better each week as all the young guys get more experience. Like most rivalry games, it will most likely come down to turnovers and special teams play.

While I have not seen MUS play this year, they definitely present challenges for the Brothers given their ability to throw the ball and flawlessly execute the 'Alston' system. Their schedule YTD pales by comparison to what the Brothers have successfully taken on, but they continue to show weekly improvement and may be peaking at just the right time. Holding SBA to just two touchdowns certainly raised the eyebrow. Although this is a road game, I would place the Owls as a 6-point favorite in this key West Region matchup.

I took in the CBHS/Briarcrest game last week and was quite impressed with the overall play of the Purple Wave. With the exception of DE Matt Murphy, no stellar position players like we have seen in prior years (e.g., Bates, Brucker, Ritt, Acosta, etc.), but a group of young men who work together as a team extremely well. The offense has much-needed balance led by gritty QB Powell and the defense is steady, although vulnerable to the pass as the corners lack size. Depth may be an issue this week as several key players had to be walked off the field against the Saints. Hopefully they will be able to play on Friday night?

As with all rivalries, and there is nothing better in West TN than MUS vs. CBHS, it will come down to which team makes the fewest mistakes and a lucky bounce/tip of the ball that changes the momentum of the game. May the men in stripes call a fair four quarters and the Lord watch over and protect all these fine young men who provide thousands of us with great entertainment every Friday night.

While I have not seen MUS play this year, they definitely present challenges for the Brothers given their ability to throw the ball and flawlessly execute the 'Alston' system. Their schedule YTD pales by comparison to what the Brothers have successfully taken on, but they continue to show weekly improvement and may be peaking at just the right time. Holding SBA to just two touchdowns certainly raised the eyebrow. Although this is a road game, I would place the Owls as a 6-point favorite in this key West Region matchup.

I took in the CBHS/Briarcrest game last week and was quite impressed with the overall play of the Purple Wave. With the exception of DE Matt Murphy, no stellar position players like we have seen in prior years (e.g., Bates, Brucker, Ritt, Acosta, etc.), but a group of young men who work together as a team extremely well. The offense has much-needed balance led by gritty QB Powell and the defense is steady, although vulnerable to the pass as the corners lack size. Depth may be an issue this week as several key players had to be walked off the field against the Saints. Hopefully they will be able to play on Friday night?

As with all rivalries, and there is nothing better in West TN than MUS vs. CBHS, it will come down to which team makes the fewest mistakes and a lucky bounce/tip of the ball that changes the momentum of the game. May the men in stripes call a fair four quarters and the Lord watch over and protect all these fine young men who provide thousands of us with great entertainment every Friday night.

Both played Millington and White Station.

MUS' games vs South Panola and Olive Branch far outweigh the Brother's ECS/Clarksdale combo

Kingsbury (lost to Owls 42-7) beat G'Town (lost to Brother's 10-0) by 6

Melrose (lost to Brother's 13-6) beat East (lost to Owl's 35-8) by 3

SBA and BCS games are basically a wash at this point.

I would say that the strength of schedule edges tilts the way of the Owls. That said, it's a rivalry of historical significance in both Memphis and the State. Tradition will point to this being a close game.

Both played Millington and White Station.

MUS' games vs South Panola and Olive Branch far outweigh the Brother's ECS/Clarksdale combo

Kingsbury (lost to Owls 42-7) beat G'Town (lost to Brother's 10-0) by 6

Melrose (lost to Brother's 13-6) beat East (lost to Owl's 35-8) by 3

SBA and BCS games are basically a wash at this point.

I would say that the strength of schedule edges tilts the way of the Owls. That said, it's a rivalry of historical significance in both Memphis and the State. Tradition will point to this being a close game.

Checkerboard,

My comment about the comparison of schedules between CBHS and MUS seems to be supported by this very sites Schedule Strength metric, which objectively measures opponents winning percentage. CBHS is listed at 62.5% vs. 32.8% for MUS. Subjectively, I can't buy into your A-B-C argument above. If that's the case, then Kentucky is a better team than Alabama since they beat South Carolina. It will all be decided when they line up on Friday night, and may the best team win. In the interim, I still believe the Brothers 'total body of work' this year is far better than what the Owls have to show for.

Checkerboard,

My comment about the comparison of schedules between CBHS and MUS seems to be supported by this very sites Schedule Strength metric, which objectively measures opponents winning percentage. CBHS is listed at 62.5% vs. 32.8% for MUS. Subjectively, I can't buy into your A-B-C argument above. If that's the case, then Kentucky is a better team than Alabama since they beat South Carolina. It will all be decided when they line up on Friday night, and may the best team win. In the interim, I still believe the Brothers 'total body of work' this year is far better than what the Owls have to show for.

I'm pretty sure the coacht strength of schedule formula does not take into account SOS or win-loss records of out of state opponents.

I'm pretty sure the coacht strength of schedule formula does not take into account SOS or win-loss records of out of state opponents.

KublahKD is correct - Coach T's SOS does not take into account the SOS of the opponents not does it include OOS opponents. This is arguably the worst way to rate a team's SOS. One final poll last year using a similar SOS system ranked White Station ahead of MUS even though MUS beat WS by 20 points in an actual game, and played for 3 quarters without their All-American QB to boot! Looking at the schedules, Briarcrest is 7-1 but has played a largely unremarkable schedule. On the other hand, Olive Branch is only 4-4 but has played the toughest schedule in MS. The up-to-date winning % for ALL games is 60.9 for CBHS and 51.6 for MUS.

Having said this, I still agree that CBHS' YTD "body of work" has been better, but certainly not "far better." And as has been noted, the division lead will be decided on the field anyway.

For anybody interested, the MUS JV remained unbeaten with a 24-0 shutout of CBHS on Monday. Tonight, the MUS Frosh remained unbeaten with a thrilling come-from-behind 28-21 win over CBHS, who never trailed in the game until MUS scored with a little over one minute remaining. Still, MUS had to intercept a pass at the 10 yd line with about 30 seconds remaining to preserve the victory. Fortunately, there appeared to be no injuries in either game.

Edited by owlbooster