MUS vs CBHS

footballace1

GREAT high school football game! Two well-coached teams battled it out in front 8,000+ fans, and you knew it would likely come down to a final drive late in the 4th quarter to determine the victor. As the game was carried regionally on FSS, I look forward to catching the replay on Monday night. WOW!

From an X's and O's standpoint, both squads were very evenly matched, with total yardage 364 to 363 in favor of the Brothers. Was very impressed with the speed of MUS' Baty and Baker, a exciting duo that have the potential to take it the distance every time they touch the ball. However, their kicking game let them down (2 missed FG's), which is so uncharacteristic of the Owls. On the Purple Wave side, Powell played another gritty game, overcoming some poor decisions early in the contest by showing great leadership and poise in the 2nd half. CBHS ran the ball extremely well with both backs (Eason and freshman Warren) topping the 100-yard mark. And how bout that defense that delivered in the red zone several times throughout the game, and set up the pivotal closing drive with an Austin Bennett interception late in the 4th quarter.

Kudos to both teams for their sportsmanship and a well-played ball game. Wouldn't it be great to see a rematch in early December for a Div-II AA state championship? Couldn't think of a better way to showcase what is arguably the best rivalry in the state of Tennessee. For those non-believers in Nashville and Chattanooga, tune in on Monday night and taste the energy, excellence, and passion for CBHS/MUS football. It doesn't get any better than that!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post. Don't recall a worse performance by an MUS kicker. Any team that has a 1st down twice inside the 10 yard line and comes away with ZERO points is very unlikely to end up winning the game. I was especially impressed with CBHS' opportunism and ability to avoid backbreaking errors, unlike MUS. Glad everybody got to see Baker punt. He'll be doing that in D1 in 2 years.

Edited by owlbooster

Nice post. Don't recall a worse performance by an MUS kicker. Any team that has a 1st down twice inside the 10 yard line and comes away with ZERO points is very unlikely to end up winning the game. I was especially impressed with CBHS' opportunism and ability to avoid backbreaking errors, unlike MUS. Glad everybody got to see Baker punt. He'll be doing that in D1 in 2 years.

Yes, both kickers missed last night. Thats what usually wins these games, lack of mistakes. Wow, did Baked boot that first punt...our guy Salem Smith is a pretty good K returner and that ball just sailed over him. Toby Baker did a fine job running and passing too. I'm glad we don't have to play your team again today, it was a big night for CBHS, and a great show for all.

Yes, both kickers missed last night. Thats what usually wins these games, lack of mistakes. Wow, did Baked boot that first punt...our guy Salem Smith is a pretty good K returner and that ball just sailed over him. Toby Baker did a fine job running and passing too. I'm glad we don't have to play your team again today, it was a big night for CBHS, and a great show for all.

Yeah, that first punt was...60 yards or something crazy like that? That was insane! Other than field goals, their kicking was amazing.

Yeah, that first punt was...60 yards or something crazy like that? That was insane! Other than field goals, their kicking was amazing.

Just watched this game on the DVR as I was out of town and could not attend. Congrats to CBHS for a hard fought win and just a good clean game between two evenly matched teams. MUS made a few costly error's and also could not score 2 times inside the CBHS 5 yard line. You can't expect to win the game doing that. That MUS line is pretty dang good and MUS should have ran the ball more then make those sideline passes. CBHS has a pretty stout defense that came up with some good plays. Congrats to both teams, maybe a possible re-match is in the cards in the playoffs.

Just watched this game on the DVR as I was out of town and could not attend. Congrats to CBHS for a hard fought win and just a good clean game between two evenly matched teams. MUS made a few costly error's and also could not score 2 times inside the CBHS 5 yard line. You can't expect to win the game doing that. That MUS line is pretty dang good and MUS should have ran the ball more then make those sideline passes. CBHS has a pretty stout defense that came up with some good plays. Congrats to both teams, maybe a possible re-match is in the cards in the playoffs.

These 2 teams are very equal. I think they would split 5-5 if they played 10 times.

Maybe they could rematch at state like in 2005 - a long shot but we can hope! In any case, they represented Memphis and DII football very well.

The MUS kicker is a freshman that will win games for this school for the next several years. He's usually very reliable. Unfortunately he is kicking with a pulled right groin right now. Tough night to experience his first miss.

I agree with all the comments about the game. It was a great high school game to watch. What an atmosphere!

The MUS kicker is a freshman that will win games for this school for the next several years. He's usually very reliable. Unfortunately he is kicking with a pulled right groin right now. Tough night to experience his first miss.

I agree with all the comments about the game. It was a great high school game to watch. What an atmosphere!

Nice to know he was injured. I hadn't seen him do poorly before.