Prayer before Soddy games

5-Sport Dad

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should public Christian prayers be allowed before games?

There's a difference as noted from your website referencing the Santa Fe case, which ruled student led prayer at a football game unconstitutional.

Does any find it interesting that only in America can we even debate a topic like this....Its because our constitution is base on Christian ethics. On our schedule, Lawrenceburg and Hickman Co always offer up a prayer, Kudos to them...its a good thing.

There's a difference as noted from your website referencing the Santa Fe case, which ruled student led prayer at a football game unconstitutional.

The following is also from the American Center for Law & Justice website. There is also a lot more information on this site -- too much to list here. I suggest everyone check it out for yourself at www.aclj.org

"In the Santa Fe case, a case involving prayer at football games that I argued a couple years ago, the Supreme Court did say that the school was too involved in the prayer activity, even in Justice Stevens' opinion. This is not overly helpful in any regard, except for one: the Supreme Court said that students have the right to pray before, during, and after the school day. And there's nothing in the Constitution, or the Supreme Court precedent, that denies that. So there are constitutional rights, even in the Santa Fe case, allowing students to pray collectively as a group. Students are allowed if they so choose-it's up to them."

The following is also from the American Center for Law & Justice website. There is also a lot more information on this site -- too much to list here. I suggest everyone check it out for yourself at www.aclj.org

"In the Santa Fe case, a case involving prayer at football games that I argued a couple years ago, the Supreme Court did say that the school was too involved in the prayer activity, even in Justice Stevens' opinion. This is not overly helpful in any regard, except for one: the Supreme Court said that students have the right to pray before, during, and after the school day. And there's nothing in the Constitution, or the Supreme Court precedent, that denies that. So there are constitutional rights, even in the Santa Fe case, allowing students to pray collectively as a group. Students are allowed if they so choose-it's up to them."

Yes. My original response to your post was correct. :thumb:

It's time that the "silent majority" drop the silent part. I'm for Soddy Daisy and all other schools who have the dedication to pray in public. All of us need to encourage our local schools to do the same. If everyone is doing it, it's going to be much more difficult for these disruptive civil rights groups to infringe on OUR rights more than they already have. LETS STAND TOGETHER and do what we know is right. It's time for us to stand up as CHRISTIANS!

• Upvote 1

This insane insistence on public prayer when nobody is trying to prohibit private prayer is all about showing how righteous and Christian those doing the praying are. Otherwise, private prayer would be perfectly acceptable.

And, in case you are unfamiliar with your Bible, praying for the purpose of making others think how pious you are is a sin. Not that it isn't a forgivable sin, mind you. But let's stop pretending that this is about God.

Mat 6:5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:6

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Mat 6:7

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Mat 6:8

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

I was listening to the local HS pregame show out of Chattanooga on the way to our game yesterday evening and the host (Stump Martin) told a story of the best way he ever saw to get around this rule.

He said that one place he was at one time. (Chickamauga, GA? I think it was) He said on a street just outside the school property was a flat bed tractor trailer with the biggest speakers he ever saw setting on the trailer. So when the announcer said lets have a moment of silence. A student on that trailer started praying. He said you could have heard it over the whole city.