Prayer before Soddy games

5-Sport Dad

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should public Christian prayers be allowed before games?

This insane insistence on public prayer when nobody is trying to prohibit private prayer is all about showing how righteous and Christian those doing the praying are. Otherwise, private prayer would be perfectly acceptable.

And, in case you are unfamiliar with your Bible, praying for the purpose of making others think how pious you are is a sin. Not that it isn't a forgivable sin, mind you. But let's stop pretending that this is about God.

Mat 6:5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:6

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Mat 6:7

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Mat 6:8

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

It's strange to me that people who seem to be or claim to be a Christian sometimes become the Devil's advocate... Hmmm...

Anyway, I'm no Biblical scholar, but I do know that Christians and our God have been under attack since Adam and Eve. So, in my opinion, the issue is not 'this insane insistence on public prayer.' It's about being a Christian soldier and fighting for what's right. And if this ain't about our Christian God, either, I've missed the point of the debate. We could certainly argue about this, but I won't. While fighting temptation, I'll just reference I Tim. 2:5, Matt. 10:33 and Psalm 33:12.

Posting Scripture on a public message board is a good thing...unless it's being done to argue against public prayer (again...hmmm?).

God bless!

PS - Sorry, but if you'll indulge me, one more...for arguments sake :blush: ...Matt. 28:17-20.

• 2 weeks later...

PUBLIC PRAYERS BEFORE GAMES

IF A PERSON IN THE STANDS DOESN'T WANT TO PARTICIPATE THAT IS FINE, THE OVERALL MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ATTENDING BELIEVE IN PRAYER, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A PRAYER THAT PROMOTES SPORTSMANSHIP, NO INJUIRES TO THE TEAMS. WE AS A COUNTRY WOULDN'T BE IN THE SHAPE THAT WE ARE IN NOW IF THEY HADN'T REMOVED THIS FROM OUR SCHOOLS MANY YEARS AGO. SO FEW CAN MESS IT UP FOR SO MANY

It's time that the "silent majority" drop the silent part. I'm for Soddy Daisy and all other schools who have the dedication to pray in public. All of us need to encourage our local schools to do the same. If everyone is doing it, it's going to be much more difficult for these disruptive civil rights groups to infringe on OUR rights more than they already have. LETS STAND TOGETHER and do what we know is right. It's time for us to stand up as CHRISTIANS!

Excellent post. We have been too silent for far too long. Apathy has and will take away our freedoms until we wake up one day and wonder were did this great nation go too.

I am proud of Soddy Daisy and all other schools that take this stand.

This insane insistence on public prayer when nobody is trying to prohibit private prayer is all about showing how righteous and Christian those doing the praying are. Otherwise, private prayer would be perfectly acceptable.

And, in case you are unfamiliar with your Bible, praying for the purpose of making others think how pious you are is a sin. Not that it isn't a forgivable sin, mind you. But let's stop pretending that this is about God.

Mat 6:5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:6

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Mat 6:7

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Mat 6:8

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Thankyou for using Gods words to bring some common sense to this topic. So many people place more emphasis

on being seen while in the act of pray than what the act should represent.

People can pray anywhere anytime. You dont need to have it broadcast over the PA system for God to here it. All this hoopla over school prayer contradicts what is in the scripture.

It's strange to me that people who seem to be or claim to be a Christian sometimes become the Devil's advocate... Hmmm...

Anyway, I'm no Biblical scholar, but I do know that Christians and our God have been under attack since Adam and Eve. So, in my opinion, the issue is not 'this insane insistence on public prayer.' It's about being a Christian soldier and fighting for what's right. And if this ain't about our Christian God, either, I've missed the point of the debate. We could certainly argue about this, but I won't. While fighting temptation, I'll just reference I Tim. 2:5, Matt. 10:33 and Psalm 33:12.

Posting Scripture on a public message board is a good thing...unless it's being done to argue against public prayer (again...hmmm?).

God bless!

PS - Sorry, but if you'll indulge me, one more...for arguments sake :blush: ...Matt. 28:17-20.

Matthew Chapter 7

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity

The lord will know us by our deeds not by what we profess....

Edited by AmericanBullDog

It's time that the "silent majority" drop the silent part. I'm for Soddy Daisy and all other schools who have the dedication to pray in public. All of us need to encourage our local schools to do the same. If everyone is doing it, it's going to be much more difficult for these disruptive civil rights groups to infringe on OUR rights more than they already have. LETS STAND TOGETHER and do what we know is right. It's time for us to stand up as CHRISTIANS!

Amen!

Thankyou for using Gods words to bring some common sense to this topic. All this hoopla over school prayer contradicts what is in the scripture.

Where?

Matthew Chapter 7

The lord will know us by our deeds not by what we profess....

It's hard for me to believe that a Christian would argue against public prayer or only publicly point out the shortcomings of their brother/sister (is every public prayer done pompously and do YOU know the person praying's heart?; can we never honor God publicly? I'd be very careful with my answers). Certainly, there are false teachers and people that will publicly claim God for purely evil and selfish reasons. Those people are nutcases and the Bible tell us that we will know them by their 'fruit' (Matt.7:16-18). But, since I'm a saved sinner and this is about public prayer, I'm for it (and by the way, I don't think I've EVER heard a Christian prayer at a ballgame that was offensive or in any way hateful, so...).

Faith/Grace or Works (from gotquestions.org)?

This is perhaps the most important question in all of Christian theology. This question is the cause of the Reformation, the split between the Protestant churches and Catholic Church. This question is a key difference between biblical Christianity and most of the “Christian†cults. Is salvation by faith alone, or by faith plus works? Am I saved just by believing in Jesus, or do I have to believe in Jesus and do certain things?

The question of faith alone or faith plus works is made difficult by some hard-to-reconcile Bible passages. Compare Romans 3:28, 5:1 and Galatians 3:24 with James 2:24. Some see a difference between Paul (salvation is by faith alone) and James (salvation is by faith plus works). Paul dogmatically says that justification is by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9), while James appears to be saying that justification is by faith plus works. This apparent problem is answered by examining what exactly James is talking about. James is refuting the belief that a person can have faith without producing any good works (James 2:17-18). James is emphasizing the point that genuine faith in Christ will produce a changed life and good works (James 2:20-26). James is not saying that justification is by faith plus works, but rather that a person who is truly justified by faith will have good works in his/her life. If a person claims to be a believer, but has no good works in his/her life, then he/she likely does not have genuine faith in Christ (James 2:14, 17, 20, 26).

Paul says the same thing in his writings. The good fruit believers should have in their lives is listed in Galatians 5:22-23. Immediately after telling us that we are saved by faith, not works (Ephesians 2:8-9), Paul informs us that we were created to do good works (Ephesians 2:10). Paul expects just as much of a changed life as James does: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come†(2 Corinthians 5:17). James and Paul do not disagree in their teaching regarding salvation. They approach the same subject from different perspectives. Paul simply emphasized that justification is by faith alone while James put emphasis on the fact that genuine faith in Christ produces good works.

If anyone doesn't believe that this country was founded on Christian beliefs and doctrines - not dogma - as evidenced by their numerous public diplays in and on government buildings in our nation's capitol, they're in denial of history and the truth. Psalm 33:12 (NIV) says, 'Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.' In the Old Testament, that 'nation' was Israel. After Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, it has nothing to do with geography and everything to do with the heart (of the 'Christian Nation'). One day, every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord, but you'll need to do it before then. It's literally the biggest decision of your life and, for obvious reasons, you'll never regret it.

Again, God bless!

Thankyou for using Gods words to bring some common sense to this topic. So many people place more emphasis

on being seen while in the act of pray than what the act should represent.

People can pray anywhere anytime. You dont need to have it broadcast over the PA system for God to here it. All this hoopla over school prayer contradicts what is in the scripture.

wouldn't it be a great thing for someone sitting in the stands,in need of god in thier life.See and hear something and realize thats what i'm looking for.there's the peace I need. Wonder what that would be about. The work of God?

At our last home football game 2 weeks ago (Wayne County), during a moment of silence, a local pastor began the Lord's Prayer and the entire home section joined in the prayer. It was great and after the prayer I noticed an offical turned around and gave the crowd a thumbs up.

Not that I believe yours or my prayer is more important than any other Christian's, but I noticed that y'all won that game, too. Good for 'Him' ( ;) ) and y'all!

'Moments of silence' are one of my pet peeves...and it ain't even in the Bible. It's just another way that the liberals and politically correct legalist ding-dongs seek to water down our faith. We ARE to pray, though: Phil. 4:6-7 says 'Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.'

Y'all have a safe trip up and be nice to our fellow Robertson Countians this Friday night. They may not be nice on the field of competition, but they're good folks...and I wouldn't be surprised if they joined ya in a vocal corporate prayer. GO Red Devils! :thumb: