Gerry Bertier 3A Playoff Bracket

Gerry Bertier

...You know something, Indian...all of that is a bunch of 'you-know-what'...if we had won those two games the reasoning would have been something else...I am convinced that the the whole set-up is just that...a set-up...the criteria isn't the problem...it's the way that it is used to dis-qualify top teams...some teams 'stack' the schedule with 'cream-puffs' and are rewarded with home games...I have lived in other states besides TN...I know how playoffs should be set-up and this don't come close to being fair or equitable!!!

...There maybe some good things but the bad out-weighs the good (in my opinion). And lastly how can you not count a head-to-head for the District Championship?...Howard's losses are to Alcoa and Tyner(3A teams)...versus Div.II and 6-A!

Let's hear your methods, first of all.

Next, do you really think they're out to "get" Tyner? One of the changes, allowing first round games between teams in the same district, helped prevent part of what moved Tyner down in their quad last year.

Next, the district title is still being decided by the head-to-head matchup, but the district title has no saying in seeding. All the district title does as far as the playoffs is get a team in, as it does the runner-up.

Finally, going by season record allows Howard at a likely 8-2 to be given more credit than a 7-3 or 6-4 team that might win their district, which is not a bad thing especially if the district winner plays in a weaker district.

Edited by Indian

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? If they were just going to undermine the reason for districts, then why even go to this district format to begin with?

This has taken too much out of the hands of the actual coaches and teams and put way too much into the value of the spread sheet.

Exhibit A: Tyner, who has a difficult time scheduling opponents to begin with, is being punished for putting McCallie on the schedule.

The top two teams get in automatically, that's the big reason with the playoff system now in place..scheduling and placement of teams in the same vicinity with relatively similar enrollment is another (as it's always been).

What is your plan?

The Pigeon Forge coaches say if PF beats Gatlinburg Pittman both team will make playoffs in Quad 1, and AE will go to Quad 2 any way this could happen.

Yes it could. Austin East would then move to Quad 2.

Also, there is a VERY SLIM chance that Johnson County could still get in. If PF and Johnson County get in and move both AE and GP to quad 2 if PF wins.

Then, if both of those happen and South Greene loses this week, they may be out and move GP back to Quad 1.

My point... you can do a lot of speculations and scenarios, but we really won't know anything for sure til the final whistle blows Friday.

The Pigeon Forge coaches say if PF beats Gatlinburg Pittman both team will make playoffs in Quad 1, and AE will go to Quad 2 any way this could happen.

Not exactly, PF would still need some help. They will need CCS to lose and them win to promise them a spot in. Also, Manassas can throw a wrench in the scenario if they win and finish 2nd in their district. So to answer your question it is not guaranteed they get in.

Also, there is a VERY SLIM chance that Johnson County could still get in. If PF and Johnson County get in and move both AE and GP to quad 2 if PF wins.

Then, if both of those happen and South Greene loses this week, they may be out and move GP back to Quad 1.

My point... you can do a lot of speculations and scenarios, but we really won't know anything for sure til the final whistle blows Friday.

The only way Johnson Co. gets in is if they beat Happy Valley and Sullivan North loses to Unicoi Co.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

the last time i checked baylor was great team with only one loss... so win or lose jus playin them improved tyners schedule..

This is correct... win or lose, it helps Tyner's schedule.

win or lose it still helped them with the way tssaa looks at tems u play with above .500 record..

This is not totally accurate. Playing a team winning at least half of their games helps due to the second criterion, but losing to anybody hurts due to the first criterion (overall wins). If you don't have enough wins, it would not matter if you played 10 teams that won 50% or more of their games.

If PF and Johnson County were both to get in (a big if), my understanding is that AE and PF would be the two teams that would move into Quad 2 because GP is located farther east than PF.

Of course, that is contingent of TSSAA using the same criteria for drawing the Quads as they did last year so who knows.