CORRECTION to Playoff Possibilities

silverpie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here is my take on the seedings assuming Baylor, MBA, BA, and Ensworth win this Friday.

1. Ensworth 6-1

2. Baylor 6-1

3. BA 5-2

4. MBA 5-2

5. BGA 2-5

6. Ryan 2-5

7. McCallie 2-5

Ensworth one by head to head over Baylor. BA three by head to head over MBA. BGA five because of most wins over Ryan and McCallie. They would have 5 wins to Ryans 4 and McCallie 3. Ryan sixth by head to head over McCallie.

If Ryan wins and BGA and McCallie lose then Ryan would be 5th, McCallie 6th and BGA 7th based on head to head. Baylor would still be 2nd based on head to head over BA and MBA. Same for BA 3rd and MBA 4th.

Corrections welcomed.

Edited by BigOwl

Ok, here is my take on the seedings assuming Baylor, MBA, BA, and Ensworth win this Friday.

1. Ensworth 6-1

2. Baylor 6-1

3. BA 5-2

4. MBA 5-2

5. BGA 2-5

6. Ryan 2-5

7. McCallie 2-5

Ensworth one by head to head over Baylor. BA three by head to head over MBA. BGA five because of most wins over Ryan and McCallie. They would have 5 wins to Ryans 4 and McCallie 3. Ryan sixth by head to head over McCallie.

If Ryan wins and BGA and McCallie lose then Ryan would be 5th, McCallie 6th and BGA 7th based on head to head. Baylor would still be 2nd based on head to head over BA and MBA. Same for BA 3rd and MBA 4th.

Corrections welcomed.

Do you have any idea what the brackets look like? I didn't find them on the TSSA website.

Grand...if I'm following all of this correctly, MBA plays Ryan...and the winner plays at Ensworth.

Yeap, then that winner plays BA (If they beat #8 E/M and #2 west). Could be a MBA/BA repeat from last year in the semi-finals.

But, MBA won the regular season game with Ensworth so you know what that means?

But wait. IF BGA beats Ensworth there will be a 3 way tie for 2nd place E/M. MBA beat EHS, EHS beat BA, BA beat MBA.

The following TSSAA guidelines will determine the tie breaker.

2010-11 TSSAA Handbook

Page 3 October 4, 2010

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who plays the greatest number of teams who win 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

5. The teams whose opponents have received the fewest defeats

6. Total wins by the opponents of teams defeated.

7. The team with the greatest number of victories in their own classification.

8. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in their own classification winning 50

percent or more of their games.

9. The team whose opponents in their own classification have earned the most victories.

10. The team whose opponents in their own classification have received fewer defeats.

11. Total wins by the defeated opponents within their own classification.

12. The team with the greatest number of victories over teams in a larger classification.

13. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in a larger classification winning 50 percent

or more of their games.

14. The team whose opponents in a larger classification have earned the most victories.

15. The team whose opponents in a larger classification have received fewer defeats.

16. Total wins by the opponents of teams in a larger classification defeated.

17. Coin toss

Edited by shakinthefat

I think you would put Ensworth 4th as they would have 7 wins as opposed to 8 for MBA and BA. Then you go back to head to head and BA would finish 2nd and MBA 3rd. Just my guess.

Upon further review, if there is a 3 way tie for 2nd, Ensworth is 4th due to playing only 9 games, BA 3rd and MBA 2nd due to the TSSAA tie breaker rule #2. MBA will have 6 wins over teams that have won 50% of their games, BA has 5 wins.

So here are the lessons learned here if this scenario plays out.

Lesson #1 - play good quality teams and not cupcake teams.

Lesson #2 - play a full 10 game schedule.

I think this year a coin toss would work just fine as the top teams in the division are equal.

Edited by shakinthefat

Yeap, then that winner plays BA (If they beat #8 E/M and #2 west). Could be a MBA/BA repeat from last year in the semi-finals.

But, MBA won the regular season game with Ensworth so you know what that means?

I know exactly what that means...it means having to beat a very good team...twice...on their field. I said after the EHS-MBA game that I hoped we didn't have to play them again, and nothing has happened to change my mind.

I think in terms of quality, you have a top tier of BA and EHS, followed by a second tier of MBA and Baylor, with BGA, Ryan and McCallie just slightly below them. The difference between the teams in each tier is negligible. I don't think the division is as strong as it was last year, because there's no dominant team like MUS (although I think we all agree that even with Brunetti healthy, they'd have struggled to be .500 in the Blount County Middle School league). But it is probably the most even I can ever recall. I still lean towards BA for the big tropht, but i wouldn't risk any cash on it.

Upon further review, if there is a 3 way tie for 2nd, Ensworth is 4th due to playing only 9 games, BA 3rd and MBA 2nd due to the TSSAA tie breaker rule #2. MBA will have 6 wins over teams that have won 50% of their games, BA has 5 wins.

So here are the lessons learned here if this scenario plays out.

Lesson #1 - play good quality teams and not cupcake teams.

Lesson #2 - play a full 10 game schedule.

I think this year a coin toss would work just fine as the top teams in the division are equal.

Once you break the three way tie you go back to head to head. It is always the first tie-breaker. So if and I mean if Ensworth is out because of least number of wins then BA would be 2nd and MBA 3rd based on head to head.

From TSSAA handbook

For the purpose of district/region standings, the following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular

season games, both district/region and non-district/non-region, shall count. If at any point when the following tiebreaking

procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that

team shall be rated above the others. After any position in the district/region standings has been determined, the

tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again to determine the next position. This procedure shall be repeated

to determine all places in the district/region.

Edited by BigOwl

Once you break the three way tie you go back to head to head. It is always the first tie-breaker. So if and I mean if Ensworth is out because of least number of wins then BA would be 2nd and MBA 3rd based on head to head.

From TSSAA handbook

For the purpose of district/region standings, the following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular

season games, both district/region and non-district/non-region, shall count. If at any point when the following tiebreaking

procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that

team shall be rated above the others. After any position in the district/region standings has been determined, the

tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again to determine the next position. This procedure shall be repeated

to determine all places in the district/region.

Thanks for clarifying. Just looking at the TSSAA web site made my brain cells go numb.