Top 5 Teams in State (all classes and private)

phishdad

RollRedRoll......I'm exausted. Good read. Are you a novelist? BSU also has used gimmicks to get where they are today. (trick plays to overcome superior talent) To my knowledge, Alcoa has just as much talent as everyone they face. You pretty much know what is gonna happen....you just can't stop it. Isn't that the mark of a dominant team in any division? I don't think Alcoa would change a thing if they were playing Symrna or Red Boiling Springs!

:thumb: Kaz :thumb:

That's not true on the HS level, as we have playoffs, although for each distinct classification, but when it comes to a "best in state" argument, that's an argument that no school - not his, hers, mine, or yours - can lay claim to with 100% conviction.

That's the basis of my initial commentary. The Alcoa issue was a side note really.

Edited by kwc

And I can fully see where you are coming from KWC.... Me "proclaiming" Alcoa as the boss, certainly doesn't make it so! I think my intent is to say they have the most compelling arguement. They go everywhere....they win every game.

I believe they have a team from Kentucky on their schedule because they can't find that tenth game in Tennessee. That is just what I heard. No one is calling the 6-A coaches dumb for not scheduling them. It is a no win situation for them!

:thumb: Kazam :thumb:

And I can fully see where you are coming from KWC.... Me "proclaiming" Alcoa as the boss, certainly doesn't make it so! I think my intent is to say they have the most compelling arguement. They go everywhere....they win every game.

I believe they have a team from Kentucky on their schedule because they can't find that tenth game in Tennessee. That is just what I heard. No one is calling the 6-A coaches dumb for not scheduling them. It is a no win situation for them!

well here is the thing. Rutherford county. 7-AAA never backs down from a challenge. I mean Oakland and Smyrna play D-II schools year in year out...Id give my money to ensworth or BA beating Alcoa any day. The issue with alcoa. is they are far..and Rankin hasn't called...Rutherford doesnt play down unless called by a good school. We play same level or up.

Seantn.....are you telling me, the drive from Knoxville to M'boro is too far to see what would unquestionably be the biggest game in the state in the regular season. The gate alone would sustain the travel impact of either team. You aren't the coach at Symrna.....don't put words in his mouth.

Kaz

Conventional wisdom would say that is the case (having to go out of state because of the inability to get in-state games). However, where these debates have gone off track and become hypocritical in the past is when a private school goes out of state. There are plenty of threads in the past few months that have accused the large privates of playing out-of-state because they want to avoid the DI biggies. Of course, what makes those claims so asinine is that the list of those schools played is a Who’s Who of regional/national powers (Byrnes, Trinity, St. X (OH), Prattville, South Panola, Moeller, etc.). I think it’s safe to say that if a couple of small Kentucky schools (although one relatively good but not the top team in Kentucky) are scheduled because of an inability to get games in Tennessee, then the playing of out-of-state powerhouses is a pound-the-table argument for the same dilemma private schools face.

On a side note related to Kentucky football, I came across a thread on another site that proclaimed Kentucky HS football dominance over Tennessee because of the results of the last six TN-KY all-star games. Of course, we all know those games evolved into rosters that were not nearly as strong as they were the first two decades of the series due to players wanting to avoid injury. I just checked my notes. Tennessee leads head-to-head matchups 19-5 this year. In the past five years, Tennessee has won 67% of the head-to-head matchups (even 64% if you count the on-the-field results of three forfeits Tennessee benefited from in 2006). There is a lot of fuzzy math being taught in the Commonwealth it appears.

well here is the thing. Rutherford county. 7-AAA never backs down from a challenge. I mean Oakland and Smyrna play D-II schools year in year out...Id give my money to ensworth or BA beating Alcoa any day. The issue with alcoa. is they are far..and Rankin hasn't called...Rutherford doesnt play down unless called by a good school. We play same level or up.

And I would be glad to take your money . If you haven't seen Alcoa in person you have no idea how big , deep and talented they are . You never know what might happen once they hit the field , but to dismiss a team like Alcoa as if they don't belong with one of the best teams in the state is plain silly .

And I would be glad to take your money . If you haven't seen Alcoa in person you have no idea how big , deep and talented they are . You never know what might happen once they hit the field , but to dismiss a team like Alcoa as if they don't belong with one of the best teams in the state is plain silly .

I never dismissed alcoa. Im just saying. D-II football is better. Oakland fans..the smart ones..even admit they dogged a bullit playing Ensworth while they were injured....I dont see any school not even you all mighty Alcoa stopping them right now..They've taken down 3 number 1 teams Smyrna, BA, Baylor. I will admit Alcoa is good..But idk If they can Hang with most of Rutherford county and quiet a few of these division 2 schools

Seantn.....are you telling me, the drive from Knoxville to M'boro is too far to see what would unquestionably be the biggest game in the state in the regular season. The gate alone would sustain the travel impact of either team. You aren't the coach at Symrna.....don't put words in his mouth.

Kaz

I never put words in the Coaches mouth. The only 5A school smyrna played was Beech and they are the defending champs..and Only loss to Smyrna.