Top Traditonal Teams In TN HS history

SweetScience

hey guys... just want everybody opinion on something.. when you think of tradition in tennessee high school football who are the teams you think of the most? overall historical tradition... top 5! lets hear it! For me it goes like this in no particular order...excluding private schools...

1. Oak Ridge (yes, i am an oak ridge fan,and biased) lol

2. Kingsport DB

3. Maryville

4 Trousdale county

5. Alcoa

hey guys... just want everybody opinion on something.. when you think of tradition in tennessee high school football who are the teams you think of the most? overall historical tradition... top 5! lets hear it! For me it goes like this in no particular order...excluding private schools...

1. Oak Ridge (yes, i am an oak ridge fan,and biased) lol

2. Kingsport DB

3. Maryville

4 Trousdale county

5. Alcoa

Where's Germantown?

Where's Milan?

Where's Lincoln County?

Where's Pearl Cohn?

Where's Gallatin?

How far back are we talking??

not far enough ..teams of tradition come from all parts of the state not just east tn

well, none of those teams but maybe milan stack up with the ones i mentioned... lincoln county? germantown? how many state titles have they won compared to the teams i mentioned? my point... going back to the history man, however long... yes, the teams youd mention id put in there, but germantown and lincoln county over the teams i mentioned? nah... maybe gallatin, but does gallatin have more state titles and wins then the teams i mentioned? i doubt it... aint gotta do with me being east tennessee biased, just the truth

not all of them are complete, but im going by state titles myself

The Facts and Figures page will provide a variety of state titles, wins leaders, etc.

I have been asked a couple of questions before related to this topic and think this may be a good time to address them. One regards the mythical state titles. I have been asked why the mythical titles are shown; one e-mail went so far as to imply that I show them as shown for self-serving reasons. Originally, when I started the site, I showed playoff era titles only. At one point, a set of fans from one particular school wanted to see their one mythical title shown (said school also has playoff era titles) in their listing. To be consistent, I had to show all mythical titles claimed by the various schools. Ironically, the fan who wrote the self-serving e-mail was a fan of the school that had all of the posters clamoring to have their mythical title shown.

Also, as it relates to the completeness of the records, I implore people to help me with the research. States like Georgia and Alabama have literally dozens of people researching across those states to help complete all-time score histories. While I do get help from time to time (and all five of the schools named first - OR, DB, MHS, TCHS, AHS - have been very helpful with submissions), I could use a lot more. There are a couple of schools - BGA and Gallatin in particular - that should have high win totals in probably the Top 15 in the state, but I need a lot of help on those.

There are plenty of great programs in the state. Many of the ones mentioned thus far are no-brainers - all are longstanding programs with multiple titles (including the mythical ones) and win totals in the top 5-10% of the state's programs. Pearl-Cohn may be a little of a stretch, however, even though I think highly of the program and the people around it over the years, especially Maurice Fitzgerald. While the program has the two titles from the 1990s, the program's overall winning percentage is less than 47%. PCHS has had 12 winning seasons and 16 losing seasons, although 12 of those were in the first 12 years of the program after the Pearl and Cohn merger in 1982.

The Facts and Figures page will provide a variety of state titles, wins leaders, etc.

I have been asked a couple of questions before related to this topic and think this may be a good time to address them. One regards the mythical state titles. I have been asked why the mythical titles are shown; one e-mail went so far as to imply that I show them as shown for self-serving reasons. Originally, when I started the site, I showed playoff era titles only. At one point, a set of fans from one particular school wanted to see their one mythical title shown (said school also has playoff era titles) in their listing. To be consistent, I had to show all mythical titles claimed by the various schools. Ironically, the fan who wrote the self-serving e-mail was a fan of the school that had all of the posters clamoring to have their mythical title shown.

Also, as it relates to the completeness of the records, I implore people to help me with the research. States like Georgia and Alabama have literally dozens of people researching across those states to help complete all-time score histories. While I do get help from time to time (and all five of the schools named first - OR, DB, MHS, TCHS, AHS - have been very helpful with submissions), I could use a lot more. There are a couple of schools - BGA and Gallatin in particular - that should have high win totals in probably the Top 15 in the state, but I need a lot of help on those.

There are plenty of great programs in the state. Many of the ones mentioned thus far are no-brainers - all are longstanding programs with multiple titles (including the mythical ones) and win totals in the top 5-10% of the state's programs. Pearl-Cohn may be a little of a stretch, however, even though I think highly of the program and the people around it over the years, especially Maurice Fitzgerald. While the program has the two titles from the 1990s, the program's overall winning percentage is less than 47%. PCHS has had 12 winning seasons and 16 losing seasons, although 12 of those were in the first 12 years of the program after the Pearl and Cohn merger in 1982.

yeah, i know im an oak ridge fan, but our win to loss percentage is pretty impressive in my book 574 wins to 164 losses and 12 ties... pretty doggone impressive if you ask me, oak ridge fan or not... maryville is another that comes to mind..

well, none of those teams but maybe milan stack up with the ones i mentioned... lincoln county? germantown? how many state titles have they won compared to the teams i mentioned? my point... going back to the history man, however long... yes, the teams youd mention id put in there, but germantown and lincoln county over the teams i mentioned? nah... maybe gallatin, but does gallatin have more state titles and wins then the teams i mentioned? i doubt it... aint gotta do with me being east tennessee biased, just the truth

I didnt mention teams only your biased location..no problem tho

well you egotistical baphoon...you did mention "YOUR CRITERIA"....you said "top traditional TN high school teams in history...the "playoff era" with A, AA, AAA as we know it didn't begin until the mid-1970s...so...again....the teams I mentioned along with others would measure up "in their day" to ANY you just mentioned! Oh, and for the record, your beloved team from Kingsport hasn't one a state title in since 1960..(all of which were VOTED on) according to the TSSAA website...therefore...if we are discussing the last 50 years.....your team don't even make the discussion....so don't preach to the Coacht brethren like they are the second coming of Lombardi's Packers!!

calm down buddy... its a msg board, and people state here opinions on them... i stated mine, you stated yours... the teams you mentioned simply dont stack up to the ones i mentioned... and im not a DB fan, by the way... i said in an earlier post im going by total wins and state titles... the teams you mentioned dont compare with DB in overall wins, just the facts sir..

calm down buddy... its a msg board, and people state here opinions on them... i stated mine, you stated yours... the teams you mentioned simply dont stack up to the ones i mentioned... and im not a DB fan, by the way... i said in an earlier post im going by total wins and state titles... the teams you mentioned dont compare with DB in overall wins, just the facts sir..

and i never mentioned what teams would stack up to whatever in there so called good era when they were good... i said ALLLLLL TIME... all time means since the teams have been playing...