District 12A

waynecofreak

I agree that Willard will be good for the WC boys. WHen he coached the boys at SHS after McBee left, he was very good. Took a team without a ton of talent to the state tourny (Aaron Burdette and co). His only fault when coaching those boys was embarrassing the community at the state tournament when he said "We have a bunch of country boys that drive tractors to practice in the summer" He workd absolute wonders with the girls program there. That said, I still don't see them beating Summertown simply because of the intangibles that Summertown will carry into those games--these boys want to make him pay for dumping on the girls the way he did and leaving in that fashion.

Come on man, "make him pay for dumping the girls and leavin in that fashion"?!?! The position didn't open at WC until after school started when Franks left Willard lives MAYBE 1/2 mile from the high school. I've known him for 20 years now and he's a heck of a guy with lots of integrity and character, and I can guarantee he works his kids harder and prepares them not only for basketball but for life with his work ethic. for you to get on here and now make 2 comments about him 'leavin the wrong way' is RIDICULOUS!!! If it had been a week or 2 before season started or during the season is one thing, but he left right after school started when the position became available, so deal with it!!!! S'town might get the 1st one from WC, just because it's Dec. 10th, and football will have just been over, but you're nuts to think Stown is going to get them after Cmas!! Go CATS!!! :thumb:

• Upvote 2

you beat me to it hooplove...

VandyChris, I root for the Eagles too but you need to get the chip off your shoulder and get over it.

As a fan, I am disappointed too but an opportunity opened up and he made a decision, which I assume was very difficult for him, based on what was best for him and his future. I am also sure that it was very difficult to walk away from those young "Lady Eagles" and the program they built together.

I wish the best for Coach Willard and hope he great success at WCHS, except for a couple of times a year. ;)

• Upvote 1

Come on man, "make him pay for dumping the girls and leavin in that fashion"?!?! The position didn't open at WC until after school started when Franks left Willard lives MAYBE 1/2 mile from the high school. I've known him for 20 years now and he's a heck of a guy with lots of integrity and character, and I can guarantee he works his kids harder and prepares them not only for basketball but for life with his work ethic. for you to get on here and now make 2 comments about him 'leavin the wrong way' is RIDICULOUS!!! If it had been a week or 2 before season started or during the season is one thing, but he left right after school started when the position became available, so deal with it!!!! S'town might get the 1st one from WC, just because it's Dec. 10th, and football will have just been over, but you're nuts to think Stown is going to get them after Cmas!! Go CATS!!! :thumb:

I'm with you hooplove. Willard is great. I'm sure had this coaching spot been open sooner he would have made the move sooner. It wasn't until school started that Coach Franks took a new job in the school system.

WC also picked up a new addition in Jeremy Risner. He's going to be a big help this year.

Edited by WCHSGRAD

Just to clarify the air here, I wish him the best at WCHS. That said, I am only saying that kids I know are very upset about him leaving AFTER school started. Thats all. They fell like they left them grasping for straws trying to find an answer. What was meant by them making him pay is they want to make sure that he doesnt beat Summertown at all until the girls that were affected by his decision have graduated and moved on. That is from a couple of the players and several of the students. I think he was a class act at Summertown, I really do. He worked absolute miracles with that program. When he was with the boys, he worked wonders with them. To think that he accomplished what he did with the boys AFTER Jason Burleson and that class left was nothing short of miraculous to accomplish with no drop off. He is an excellant strategist and game plan tactician and for sure knows the game well.

Just to clarify the air here, I wish him the best at WCHS. That said, I am only saying that kids I know are very upset about him leaving AFTER school started. Thats all. They fell like they left them grasping for straws trying to find an answer. What was meant by them making him pay is they want to make sure that he doesnt beat Summertown at all until the girls that were affected by his decision have graduated and moved on. That is from a couple of the players and several of the students. I think he was a class act at Summertown, I really do. He worked absolute miracles with that program. When he was with the boys, he worked wonders with them. To think that he accomplished what he did with the boys AFTER Jason Burleson and that class left was nothing short of miraculous to accomplish with no drop off. He is an excellant strategist and game plan tactician and for sure knows the game well.

Well that's life and kids don't always understand the decisions adults have/need to make. Again, if it had been just before season or during it MIGHT be different. But you say in one breath that you think he's a real class act, and in the next you talk about how they're gonna make him pay for the way he did them; it's just pretty hypocritical and careless. He did what he thought he should do as early as he could have made the decision. He's way too good of a guy/coach/mentor/motivator/teacher to get slammed for that. And I went back and read your post where you said this, "I can promise you as a fan of Summertown, that WC will not beat them this year--lots of hard feelings over Willard leaving and the way he went about it...." That's pretty bold sir, dumb but bold. We shall see. You could learn a lot from your fellow eagle, midtnblue. Yeah, as you can tell, you pissed me off with these 'irresponsible' comments because he is a class guy who has more passion about what he does than most anybody I've ever been around.

I'm with you hooplove. Willard is great. I'm sure had this coaching spot been open sooner he would have made the move sooner. It wasn't until school started that Coach Franks took a new job in the school system.

WC also picked up a new addition in Jeremy Risner. He's going to be a big help this year.

Agreed!! Glad to have Jeremy around....I'm really impressed with him and think he'll make a splash in D12A this year and beyond! Just wish we could have had him since he was a freshman. Just need to talk A. Rice into playin....if you know him, talk it up. I'm tryin my best.

Well that's life and kids don't always understand the decisions adults have/need to make. Again, if it had been just before season or during it MIGHT be different. But you say in one breath that you think he's a real class act, and in the next you talk about how they're gonna make him pay for the way he did them; it's just pretty hypocritical and careless. He did what he thought he should do as early as he could have made the decision. He's way too good of a guy/coach/mentor/motivator/teacher to get slammed for that. And I went back and read your post where you said this, "I can promise you as a fan of Summertown, that WC will not beat them this year--lots of hard feelings over Willard leaving and the way he went about it...." That's pretty bold sir, dumb but bold. We shall see. You could learn a lot from your fellow eagle, midtnblue. Yeah, as you can tell, you pissed me off with these 'irresponsible' comments because he is a class guy who has more passion about what he does than most anybody I've ever been around.

My 2 cents worth: Most people understand Willards choice. I promise you that the Summertown boys want to beat WC, not because of Willard but because they are rivals. Willard knows more about the boys program in Summertown than any rival school should know, and for THAT reason I see WC and S'town putting on one heck of a game. Anyone that has watched Summertown play have a reasonable idea on how to beat them. Willard has sat on their bench and knows EXACTLY how to beat them.

Hooplove--you are reading way more into my comments and taking them way to personally. When a student says that they want to "make sure WC doesnt beat summertown because of the way Coach Willard left" are you going to take offense to that? It is a student (actually several) that have told me this verbatim, yet you are making it sound as if that is my feelings. I understand the aspect of how it all happened, I understand his decision also, but he didnt have to make the statement that Wayne County is always where he wanted to be---that made the students at Summertown feel like they were stepping stones--sorry, but thats just the way THEY feel. If you see what I personally say about him, you would see that is not how I feel about him. I have stated and will state again that he is an extremely good coach--probably the best coach in the area (that would be Lewis, Lawrence, Giles, and Maury Counties)---the one thing that I am wondering is why WC didnt try to go after David Collie????

Perry Co. #1- New coach for PC that knows what he's doing. A ton of athletes that wont get winded, and won't fold under pressure again.

Summertown# 2- Didn't lose anybody that was a threat expect them to be real good again.

Wayne Co. #3- If Willard has these boys as disiplined like them Stown girls were they will be really good maybe better than Stown.