Cumberland County High School Football Program

FLYHIGHJETS

I am sad to say that the season is over for the team and all of the seniors that truly left it all out there every friday night for the last four years. In the end, both seasons in the Parton era have ended strangely the same. We started the season strong and gradually faded until we had the worst performance of the season in the final game with a chance at the playoffs against White Co. and we lay an egg. I really felt like we had turned things around this season until the Warren Co. game and I told all of those that care that we lost more than a game that night. That statement rang true. The team suffered some token punishment, had to remove the lightning from their helmet and moved on to tally an average of 6 to 10 personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties per game to finish the season. That was a five game stretch of penalty after penalty for something that could have been disciplined after the Warren game. Yet during that stretch we did have someone set out a half of football as punishment for his actions. I know one might say that is a step in the right direction. The problem was that this kid sat out a half against Coffee Co. because he missed a practice to run in a Cross Country event that had been scheduled months in advance. This kid was playing two sports (and going to state in CC) and sat out a half. Meanwhile, we have players missing because they are "sick" in groups sometimes or have to perform community service and they never miss a beat. Discipline has not been a part of our program for at least five years now and it doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. Ultimately, I know that nobody cares outside of our county because we are irrelevant and a typical easy win for most that we schedule. For the parent that lives on every play for their son and the young man that works and gives his all, it is so relevant and at the time seems like everything. My son, proud to say, has learned discipline, honesty, and responsibility at home. All of these boys do not and in the end the coaches are responsible for trying to make them the best football player they can. Like it or not, the bigger responsibility is teaching them to some degree to be men as well. Maybe I expect to much or maybe I am just disappointed for my son.

I just wanted to add this post to let you know that you are right. If you did not know the problem is not just on the field. tonite after the game as White County was walking to their dressing room, two players taunted some White County players. The White County players kept walking and the Cumberland County players came after them. This was with the White County coaches walking with them. Two Crossville police officers broke it up. About ten minutes later two more Cumberland County players came to the White County buses and sprayed pepper spray in some of the White County players faces. Well needless to say, it was on after that. Players, coaches,parents and about seven Crossville Police officers. There is no need for something like this. I hope for you and your son, something gets turnned around up there.See you next year.

I just wanted to add this post to let you know that you are right. If you did not know the problem is not just on the field. tonite after the game as White County was walking to their dressing room, two players taunted some White County players. The White County players kept walking and the Cumberland County players came after them. This was with the White County coaches walking with them. Two Crossville police officers broke it up. About ten minutes later two more Cumberland County players came to the White County buses and sprayed pepper spray in some of the White County players faces. Well needless to say, it was on after that. Players, coaches,parents and about seven Crossville Police officers. There is no need for something like this. I hope for you and your son, something gets turnned around up there.See you next year.

First, congratulations to White County. You deserved the victory. Second, please get your facts straight before posting. The two individuals that approached the bus threw water bottles. The police officer on the scene is the one that used the pepper spray once the White County players exited the bus. There were only four officers present. It was a disgrace for CCHS, and I am sure that it will be dealt with. Good luck in the play-offs.

Sorry for the late post, we didnt get back from the hospital until 1:30am or so. Sat in a room for a few hours for them to tell us that Terryl's ankle was hurt and that they would have a radiologist look at the x-rays today to see if he saw anything today. Don't think there is any ligament damage they were sprained but not torn, but they did find some loose calcified bone floating around, so they arent sure what that came from. We knew all week that him playing was gonna be a stretch and he gave it a try.

Seniors I would like to say thank you to this years senior class. I have known most of you since you were 5 or 6, and you all have turned into fine players and persons. Terryl, Kyle, Roger, Gonzo, Wes, Stickler, Matt, Big Dill, Corey, I have watched most of you play since Jr.Jets and in little league, and it was great to see you play the way that you did this season. Hard fast and agressive, 100 percent on every play. This senior class will be sorely missed.

White Co, you capitalized on our turnovers and special teams for 25 points, that is what good teams do; they make you pay for turnover. Congrats on the win and good luck in the playoffs.

As for the game, we played the worst football we have played all year. We played bad on offense, defense, and as susual special teams. We came out flat, and didnt do any of the little things that win you ball games. Penalties were rampid again, but honestly we get hit with more penalties than we deserve. On Terryl's unsportsman like conduct, he was being punched the previous play and the referee told terryl when terryl said something that it was not a babysitting service and that he wouldn't call that. Next play, terryl pushes someone off of him while getting up from a pile and he gets hit for pushing. Steven's first u/c had a referee come out of zone to throw a penalty that a official five feet away and staring at the play did not call. Stickler got hit for slapping the ground, are you serious? I am sure some of the others are justified, we talk too much and with a bad rep already we have a short fuse, but this crap has gotta stop.

As for the fight, I hope nobody got hurt, there was a lot of commotion and people were everywhere. It would not surprise me is some players from White Co. were suspended from part on next weeks game for getting off the bus to join a fight. In no way am I blaming them for the fight, just saying that defying your coaches to join a fight in the parking lot where no punches were yet to be thrown isn't a great way to get playing time. I am sure the CCHS players involved will be suspended either from school and/or games next year

I wondered where the part about our players spraying pepper spray on their bus came from and granted our boys dont have the best attitudes but neither do the White County players and I am positive that it wasnt all one sided...Good luck in the playoffs

How many personal fouls has crossville had this season?I know 4 a fact tssaa is looking into the jets staff and program so good luck with that!!!!I also wanna know where is crossvilles coaching staff during all this?

Yeah, Im so sure we are being investigated since we are the only team that has gotten personal fouls this year. Maybe if White County hadnt walked by calling several of our players B***** or words that start with a P then the fight wouldnt have happened and our coaches were trying to stop the fight so were several of the Jet players

Edited by SMHS

First, congratulations to White County. You deserved the victory. Second, please get your facts straight before posting. The two individuals that approached the bus threw water bottles. The police officer on the scene is the one that used the pepper spray once the White County players exited the bus. There were only four officers present. It was a disgrace for CCHS, and I am sure that it will be dealt with. Good luck in the play-offs.

Thanks for more information. I got there about half way into it. what I posted was what was being told in the group that gathered. I will pass on the info and try and clear that up. I don't want you to think that White County is as pure as the driven snow. They should have never come off the bus. Someone was asking about the crew that called the game. I thought they were a little picky also. Some of those flags could have been taken care of in other ways. the officals never tried to gain control and just reacted as things got worse. You guys had an off night for sure. I watched a couple of Cunberland Co games on film and they were nothing like last night. Thanks for all the well wishes and I hope the same for you guys.

The officials were clearly not in line to eventually work in the NFL. The punt spot for the one that went out of bounds seemed a little off. The one that really cracked me up was when they called a timeout to measure for a first down before they added one of our personal foul flags. Essentially, they were measuring to see if Sparta had the first by 14 or 15.

I agree that the number of flags have been excessive. That stems from us running our mouth. If you remember at Warren Co. we received one unsportsmanlike before Warren broke the offensive huddle. This is part of what I was speaking of in my original post. If some consequences and standards were set from the beginning or at least after the Warren collapse, we would shut our mouth and play or they would no longer be in the game. Instead we sit a kid for a cross country meet.

The fight seems to be different than originally thought. I witnessed the original altercation as the White Co. team walked past the field house. It involved a player from our team that has had continuous problems of one kind or another all season. I thought at that moment that it was another incident in his illustrious history. I do know that his dad got him and left as soon as he changed. From what I have heard today, the CCHS players involved were walking to their car with a girl friend and were approached by some White Co. players. At that point, the girl was allegedly pushed by the Sparta player and CCHS threw a punch to defend. I am sure that is not the full story but that is what I heard from my son. He was not involved but talked to someone afterwards that was.

As far as punishment, maybe the administration will handle it as a school incident. If so, something might be done. If it is left to the coach, maybe he will limit them to only one refill at the banquet.