Playoff system is horrible and every fan and coach knows it

GWAVE1

Here is my very simple solution.

4 Classifications for every sport across the board. This state is too small for 6 classifications. Ronnie Carter force fed this system to us all and the TSSAA board approved it. Both are at fault. It is time this ends and use some common sense. For football, 16 districts, top 2 get in. PERIOD!! 2 big concerns. #1 The small schools want to compete and they are the reason we are in this mess. Answer... reality. Not every one can win. Practice, play hard, and get better. Trousdale Co doesn't seem to have a problem. #2 TSSAA wants the money. Answer...cut the budget and charge more per ticket. I will pay $2 more per ticket for a legit system.

4 Classifications for every sport across the board. This state is too small for 6 classifications. Ronnie Carter force fed this system to us all and the TSSAA board approved it. Both are at fault. It is time this ends and use some common sense. For football, 16 districts, top 2 get in. PERIOD!! 2 big concerns. #1 The small schools want to compete and they are the reason we are in this mess. Answer... reality. Not every one can win. Practice, play hard, and get better. Trousdale Co doesn't seem to have a problem. #2 TSSAA wants the money. Answer...cut the budget and charge more per ticket. I will pay $2 more per ticket for a legit system.

GWAVE1....I know we are going to disagree on several things as the weeks progress...however, let me be the first to say that this is a good post above! I agree with much of what you say! The only thing is this; baseball, basketball, soccer, and many other sports aren't broken...therefore, I don't know that it's worth "tinckering" with them to sort out football! Although, reducing the number of classifications and the "practice & getting better" theory is not just a theory...it's a "must do" that unfortunately, we have lowered the bar for success with all the new classifications instead of raising it to support the things that you mentioned....again great post!

I wish I could offer my "best wishes" to your Green Wave this week....but as you know..I'm unable to do that at this time! You guys rob us of sleep this time of year!!

I agree GWAVE1 there should only be 4 classifications in football. If that was the case every playoff game would definitely be worth watching. Teams wouldn't travel as far. Which means more fans in the bleachers. Also you wouldn't see teams make the playoffs with 4-6 or 3-7 records.

Sitting here watching pro games and a thought hit me.

Wonder if anybody had gone back and took the old regions as they were 3 years ago and put this years records with them and seen what the playoffs woudl look like. Bet there would be some teams that wouldnt be in the playoffs with there current record. I know you cant get a ture picture but at least one could see what it would look like.

It's incredible. These people make careers out of watching football. Granted, managing the inventory of officials is a nightmare. And I would agree that is a major undertaking. But here we sit inventing the better system for the TSSAA so they can change it and come out smelling like a rose. One does not have to be a football mind or sit and calculate for weeks to figure out the system so as to at least understand what would work better. No, one facet convinces me that stupidity reins in this invention. I allude to merely one part of the playoff process. Playing a team from your own conference in the first round. I need look no further.

THe problem that I see with the proposed system is thateveryone is complaining about playing tough competition in the first round, LOL, with four classes and two per district going there would be tough competition in every game, furthermore what is wrong with this system other than there is no way to know which quad you will be playing in, I mean there are 32 teams in each class that have a chance to settle lit on the field. Sure there are some flaws, but lets take the nfl system, a 10-6 team in one division can be left out while a 8-8 team gets in for winning a division, or even MLB same deal. There is not a system that is ever goign to seem fair, but as long as people know the specs up front then all is fair, I do think changing the system from year to year after schedulling has already been done is somewhat unfair as in Brentwoods case, last year they would have been rewarded and this year they were punished, but they are still in and if they deserve to be playing in the second round, tehy will be.

THe problem that I see with the proposed system is thateveryone is complaining about playing tough competition in the first round, LOL, with four classes and two per district going there would be tough competition in every game, furthermore what is wrong with this system other than there is no way to know which quad you will be playing in, I mean there are 32 teams in each class that have a chance to settle lit on the field. Sure there are some flaws, but lets take the nfl system, a 10-6 team in one division can be left out while a 8-8 team gets in for winning a division, or even MLB same deal. There is not a system that is ever goign to seem fair, but as long as people know the specs up front then all is fair, I do think changing the system from year to year after schedulling has already been done is somewhat unfair as in Brentwoods case, last year they would have been rewarded and this year they were punished, but they are still in and if they deserve to be playing in the second round, tehy will be.

Prophet:

I said it in two other topics and I will say it here. There isn't a perfect format and there will ALWAYS be someone who isn't pleased. Creating a format for the playoffs in Tennessee high school football is a THANKLESS task, and you BETTER have a thick skin. THAT sir ... is the ONE thing I am sure about.