Hey T$$AA.....Fix the Seeding Formula!

coachh17

I just took a close look at the 3A Quadrant #1 bracket. Seeds #5-#8 could very easily beat seeds #1-#4. I think #1 Happy Valley will beat #8 South Greene, but I would not bet the farm on it. #2 West Greene and #3 Chuckey-Doak host #7 Austin East and #6 Elizabethton. A-E and Elizabethton are arguably the best two teams in the quad and they may meet in round 2. #4 Gatlinburg and #5 Sullivan North should be a good game. Here is a breakdown of the seeds, records, losses, and a much more sensible seeding:

1.- Happy Valley(7-2), Lost to Elizabethton and Clintwood Virginia (Two good teams)

2.- West Greene(7-3), Lost to Greeneville,#3 Chuckey-Doak, and Unaka (Great team, Two decent teams)

3.- Chuckey-Doak(7-3), Lost to Greeneville,#8 South Greene, and Claiborne (Great team, Decent team, ?)

4.- Gatlinburg Pittman(7-3), Lost to Knox Gibbs, Knox Fulton, and #7 Austin East (Three very good teams)

5.- Sullivan North(7-3), Lost to #1 Happy Valley, #6 Elizabethton, and Daniel Boone (Three good teams)

6.- Elizabethton(6-4), Lost to Greeneville, Asheville,N.C., CAK, and Science Hill (Three great teams,1 good)

7.- Austin-East(6-4), Lost to Knox Gibbs, Knox Catholic, Ooltewah, and Morristown West (One very good,3 good)

8. South Greene(6-4), Lost to Greeneville, #2 West Greene, David Crockett, and Claiborne (Great,2 decent,?)

You can argue with how I rated their losses, but I am not claiming to be right. Here is how I would seed:

1.-Austin-East- (Historically fast an explosive, hard hitting linebackers)

2.-Elizabethton- (Went undefeated in District 1, Beat Happy Valley, Brutal non-conference schedule)

3.-Gatlinburg-Pittman- (All three losses to very good teams, Have a solid tradition)

4.-Happy Valley- (Both losses were to good teams, Have really improved as season has progressed)

5.-Sullivan North- (Played Elizabethton, Happy Valley, and Boone pretty tough)

6.-West Greene- (Lost to Chuckey-Doak and Unaka, I am not sure how good those two teams really are)

7.-South Greene- (Crushed Chuckey-Doak by 29 points, Dangerous offense,)

8.-Chuckey-Doak- (Beat West Greene, Lost to South Greene, Bottom three are hard to figure out!)

Admittedly, I am biased toward District 1, but Chuckey-Doak and South Greene have their chance to prove me wrong. My predictions for the 4 round #1 winners are.....Happy Valley, Austin-East, Elizabethton, and Gatlinburg Pittman. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbia,

Would you agree with my seeding of A-E at #1?

No, I think Austin-East should be a #3 seed this year. Austin-East, Elizabethton, and Happy Valley are the three teams in quad 1 with automatic bids. Elizabethton (6-4) is the only district champ. Happy Valley (7-2) has the best record. So, I think it should be...

#1 Elizabethton

#2 Happy Valley

#3 Austin-East

Had Austin-East taken care of business and beat Gibbs, then they would be district champs with a record of 7-3... then they would deserve the #1 seed in quad 1.

I'm sure everyone knows this but Betsy is being penalized for 1)playing a tough schedule and 2) "only" having 6 wins. The seeding system sets 1) total wins 2) games against teams with a .500 record or better 3) wins against teams with .500 or better record. So, the current system benefits those that play a weak schedule and win, unless you schedule a tough road and win.

This makes the future for teams in small districts (like our district-CAK) tough since no one wants to play a team with a good reputation(ok, not no one but most) and you have to have so many (5 for us) outside the district wins.

The current system also uses no distinction between playing up or down--so CAK's victory over Grace (A) carries the same weight as the victory over Seymour (AAAA).

My opinion--use total of first three categories of tie breakers (above) to seed--that way you get total wins and strength of schedule taken into account. I disagree that you should automatically get a higher seed if you win the district vs a second place team in another district if they have the same number of wins and play a tougher schedule.

Betsy is a good team -- they played us tough but Alcoa(obviously) and Loudon were better. Can't compare to the rest in Q1 since we have no exposure. If you haven't already seen it, you can look on the TSSAA site for all of the data they used to seed. At least is laid out for all to see vs the secret sauce they used last year! <_<

I'm sure everyone knows this but Betsy is being penalized for 1)playing a tough schedule and 2) "only" having 6 wins. The seeding system sets 1) total wins 2) games against teams with a .500 record or better 3) wins against teams with .500 or better record. So, the current system benefits those that play a weak schedule and win, unless you schedule a tough road and win.

This makes the future for teams in small districts (like our district-CAK) tough since no one wants to play a team with a good reputation(ok, not no one but most) and you have to have so many (5 for us) outside the district wins.

The current system also uses no distinction between playing up or down--so CAK's victory over Grace (A) carries the same weight as the victory over Seymour (AAAA).

My opinion--use total of first three categories of tie breakers (above) to seed--that way you get total wins and strength of schedule taken into account. I disagree that you should automatically get a higher seed if you win the district vs a second place team in another district if they have the same number of wins and play a tougher schedule.

Betsy is a good team -- they played us tough but Alcoa(obviously) and Loudon were better. Can't compare to the rest in Q1 since we have no exposure. If you haven't already seen it, you can look on the TSSAA site for all of the data they used to seed. At least is laid out for all to see vs the secret sauce they used last year! <_<

Using your system, Quad 1 would be as follows:

#1 Happy Valley (finished 2nd in District 1)

#2 West Greene

#3 Chuckey Doak

#4 Elizabethton (finished 1st in District 1)

#5 Austin-East (finished 2nd in District 3)

#6 South Greene

#7 Gatlinburg Pittman

#8 Sullivan North

This still puts a district champion at a #4 seed with a district opponent at #1 seed.

ALso, TSSAA had the same sites last year with all of the data.

That's correct, but if you use TSSAA's fourth tie breaker to break the tie between Betsy and Chucky (both end up with 14 points but Betsy has 49 in 4th tie breaker vs 45 for Chucky) it looks like:

HValley

WGreene

Betsy

CDoak

AE

SGreene

GP

SullNorth

Better but I still understand the frustration--we'll be frustrated next year probably. There isn't a perfect system but at least this year we didn't have all the last minute switch a roos.