Can DII compete with DI

Kerr288

I know this will get badmouthed and ridiculed but in my opinion, the talent level in DII this year is very high. With Father Ryan, Brentwood Academy, Harding Academy, Lausanne, McCallie, Notre Dame, I think all these teams can not only play but beat several Division I teams. In my opinion I think DII is just the same if not better than DI this year. Tell me what you think, Gomab I want your opinion.

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

Some D2 teams can compete...Harding has been ranked in the Shelby County top 12 a few times over the last three years, we don't even have to address what father ryan has done, or BA when they had Harrison...The star players arent in d2...but on the average d1 beats d2...

BA never won DII state with Harrison, and typically lost 8-10 games. Had more to do with the coaching than anything, but there it is.

I think that DII is becoming more competitive, but still think DI is better overall. We all know the split was all about football, but some of the supposed advantages that the DII schools have in football are becoming more prevalent in basketball as well. I think that DII will be dominant within 5-7 years. Look at the national powers...Oak Hill, Mater Dei etc. can play with any public school in the nation.

[Edited by itzme on 10-4-02 10:47A]

Before the public / private split, BA won at least one state championship (A) with Al Allen. BGA won 2 championships (A) beating Mercer & Maddox in the final game one year.

It seems to me that before the split, the private (now DII) schools competed pretty well when matched up against (now DI) schools of the same size.

Also, I think Father Ryan had the best team in the state last year and year in / out has one of the best programs.

Every argument for D1 being superior to D2 says "the best PLAYERS are in D1". That may be but it's TEAMS, not players, that count and that's what sets D2 apart from D1. D2 schools usually play great team ball and that is why the elite D2 teams will beat the elite D1 teams more often than they lose.

This same argument is why Doc Shelton is such a great D1 coach even though he doesn't have the quality of athletes as most other metro Nashville schools.