Playoff Refs

District8AAA

Surely someone knows how the referees are determined for the playoffs. The only thing I found in the handbook was "Game officials for all play-off games shall be appointed by the state office". I have always wanted to know if they pick the best groups or do they pick the best individual referees? It appears the referees are always from a different district of the two teams playing but I am not even 100% sure of that. A little help here please.

Surely someone knows how the referees are determined for the playoffs. The only thing I found in the handbook was "Game officials for all play-off games shall be appointed by the state office". I have always wanted to know if they pick the best groups or do they pick the best individual referees? It appears the referees are always from a different district of the two teams playing but I am not even 100% sure of that. A little help here please.

I don't know the "choosing process" other than they come from a different geographic association than the officials that normally would call your regular season games. Last week, (in Paris) we had a crew that seemingly worked pretty well together. However, toward the end of the 1st half, the Head Ref (white hat) called a charged time out to the home team....when the head coach, the QB, the assistant coaches all raised their arms as if to ask, "who called it?"..he didn't want to hear any backlash. After hearing they were a Memphis crew, his attitude made more sense.

What didnt make sense is the fact of him challenging a kid/player by cell phone after the game from a local restaraunt....but as for their "on the field" performance...it was just ok.

Edited by QBClubPrez

If you are playing another team in your district(in the playoffs) the officials come from your regular crews during the year. If you are playing out of district (in the playoffs) the officials come from another assigning district so they don't know either team. The state works with the assigning officer from each area of officials. I hope this helps.

Does anyone know how refs are determined for the playoffs? Do they come in groups or are they picked individually? Who decides what refs go where? I have always wondered this and I thought it might be interesting to see who all knows.

The state offices award playoff games to local associations. Then in turn the supervisors of each association assign the officials for the games. In the early rounds, there is a small chance that an entire crew that has worked together the whole season could go together. However, in my association, individuals are chosen to fill each spot. Hope this helps.

If you are playing another team in your district(in the playoffs) the officials come from your regular crews during the year. If you are playing out of district (in the playoffs) the officials come from another assigning district so they don't know either team. The state works with the assigning officer from each area of officials. I hope this helps.

Thanks to all for your responses. So let me get this straight; The Columbia/Knox Catholic game will get refs from neither district? The Tullahoma/Lawrence County game will be regular season refs from that district? The assigning officer will then choose the best referees that are available and send them to the game he chooses? The assigning officer does NOT choose crews but rather individuals based on how he thinks they preformed during the year? I do appreciate any and all information. I have no gripes about the refs I was just curious as to how they decide who and where these refs are decided upon. They were telling last year about how the refs were chosen for the finals at Cookeville and it pretty muched seemed like an all-star officiating crew.

Thanks to all for your responses. So let me get this straight; The Columbia/Knox Catholic game will get refs from neither district? The Tullahoma/Lawrence County game will be regular season refs from that district? The assigning officer will then choose the best referees that are available and send them to the game he chooses? The assigning officer does NOT choose crews but rather individuals based on how he thinks they preformed during the year? I do appreciate any and all information. I have no gripes about the refs I was just curious as to how they decide who and where these refs are decided upon. They were telling last year about how the refs were chosen for the finals at Cookeville and it pretty muched seemed like an all-star officiating crew.

Not to dispute other posters...again I'm not 100% sure..and would think that the poster who is a member of an officials association would be better informed than I would, HOWEVER, Henry County played West Creek from Clarksville last Friday night in the 1st Round which was a rematch between two teams from District 10-AAA. The crew officiating the game was from Memphis and it was their first trip of the season to Paris. We did not have a crew from our "normal association" last week.

Not to dispute other posters...again I'm not 100% sure..and would think that the poster who is a member of an officials association would be better informed than I would, HOWEVER, Henry County played West Creek from Clarksville last Friday night in the 1st Round which was a rematch between two teams from District 10-AAA. The crew officiating the game was from Memphis and it was their first trip of the season to Paris. We did not have a crew from our "normal association" last week.

You can break your crews up but most keep them together since they have called all year together. You will see a regular District crew for the LCHS & Tullahoma game for round 2.

Depending on the size of the association, each one is awards "X" number of games. If there are not enough qualified officials from a particular area, then the games are assigned to a crew from a neighboring association. The association in Memphis is one of the biggest with the number of games that they call from week to week, therefore, they will get several games not in the memphis area. I know that Memphis sent at least two crews as far as Nashville.

Edited by creeder

Depending on the size of the association, each one is awards "X" number of games. If there are not enough qualified officials from a particular area, then the games are assigned to a crew from a neighboring association. The association in Memphis is one of the biggest with the number of games that they call from week to week, therefore, they will get several games not in the memphis area. I know that Memphis sent at least two crews as far as Nashville.

I am a member of the MTFOA (Middle Tennessee Football Officals Association). We service the Metro Nashville area and some surrounding schools during the regular season. We serviced the following games last week for round 1:

McGavock at Mt. Juliet

Livingston Academy at Giles Cty.

Pope John Paul II at Brentwood Academy

CPA at Goodpasture

White House Heritage at Mt. Pleasant

Father Ryan at MBA

Jackson Cty. at Cascade

Cornersville at Middle Tennessee Christian

Clarksville Academy at Collinwood

We do not stay in the same crew week to week. Our assigning officer has elected to vary the crews each week. On the flip side, coaches have the option to "scratch" officials that they do not want for their games(at least in Nashville). So, it could be difficult for a crew to remain together for the entire season.

We have been assigned the following games for round 2 by the TSSAA:

White House at Liberty Magnet 4A

Knox Catholic at Columbia 5A

Franklin at Blackman 6A

Soddy-Daisy at Riverdale 6A

Jackson Christian at ECS Div II A

Chain crews are assigned by local associations for the playoffs also. I worked on the chains last week at the Pearl Cohn game while the on field officals came from Memphis.

I hope this brings some insight.

Edited by HSFootballREF