Wayne County at Jo Byrns

jusboro

Who wins?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins between these 2 playoff rivals?

• Jo Byrns
    • Wayne County

Let me start by saying I was at this game as a high school football fan and am not from Jo Byrns or Wayne Co. Nor am I from either of their respective counties. I and some friends attended this game to watch an excellent high school football game. And that is what we were treated to!

I have read this board and all of the post game comments concerning the officiating and the after game antics. Fortunately I did not see the last minute because we left after Jo Byrns' final touchdown.

A few observations:

* Wayne Co. came out early and stuck it to Jo Byrns. They appeared to have Jo Byrns on the ropes early. After the 1st touchdown and Jo Byrns turnover, I thought JB was in trouble. Tyler Rice held on to the pass a little too long and the JB d'back made a great play.

* The officiating was suspect but that takes place in every game. I am sure that the holding calls were correct against WC as you can find holding on every play, espicially on those stretch plays. They did come at very inopportune times for WC.

* I was right in line with the pass interference call against JB on the 1st drive and it was absolutely correct.

* The refs missed a blatant pass interference call against JB late in the 1st half on 4th down as WC was driving. It was close to the goal line and the JB d'back was way early on contact on the WC receiver.

None of this cost WC the game! What cost Wayne County the game was 1 thing - turnovers!!! WC has a 14-0 lead late in the first half and is driving. We are telling each other that if they go up 21-7 and get the ball to start the second half, JB is in trouble. WC then lays it on the ground and JB scores tie it up. WC gets the ball and after a great scramble from Tyler Rice, they are looking like they are going to score. Rice throws a pass across the middle that is tipped and intercepted. This should have been caught and WC maybe still goes up 21-14. It is instead tied at the half. WC had to feel bad as they outplayed JB by a mile in the 1st half and end up tied. Either way the turnovers kill WC!

You cannot turn it over 4 times against that quality of an opponent and expect to win. Jo Byrns is not where they are at because they are no good. They took advantage of the breaks they were given and got the win.

I'm glad I missed the last minute and I hate to hear what happened. I understand being frustrated and feeling like your kids are being mistreated; however, you cannot lose control. It sounds like that's what happened and it's unfortunate. That will take away from a great game between two great teams. Hopefully that will pass because both of these teams are very good. Tyler Rice is as good as advertised and JB is a very good team.

They will have to play well to beat the high-powered attack of Perry County with PC having the home field advantage. I'm sure Linden and Perry County will be shutdown for the game! That having been said, PC should watch film and learn a lesson - you can smack JB in the mouth but they will not go away! Like all good teams they will come back. They have not been ranked #1 all season for no reason. And their experience keeps them from hanging their heads when they get down.

Good luck to both teams next week in Linden. Wish I was going to be able to be there for a great game!!!! But family and Thanksgiving call!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying I was at this game as a high school football fan and am not from Jo Byrns or Wayne Co. Nor am I from either of their respective counties. I and some friends attended this game to watch an excellent high school football game. And that is what we were treated to!

I have read this board and all of the post game comments concerning the officiating and the after game antics. Fortunately I did not see the last minute because we left after Jo Byrns' final touchdown.

A few observations:

* Wayne Co. came out early and stuck it to Jo Byrns. They appeared to have Jo Byrns on the ropes early. After the 1st touchdown and Jo Byrns turnover, I thought JB was in trouble. Tyler Rice held on to the pass a little too long and the JB d'back made a great play.

* The officiating was suspect but that takes place in every game. I am sure that the holding calls were correct against WC as you can find holding on every play, espicially on those stretch plays. They did come at very inopportune times for WC.

* I was right in line with the pass interference call against JB on the 1st drive and it was absolutely correct.

* The refs missed a blatant pass interference call against JB late in the 1st half on 4th down as WC was driving. It was close to the goal line and the JB d'back was way early on contact on the WC receiver.

None of this cost WC the game! What cost Wayne County the game was 1 thing - turnovers!!! WC has a 14-0 lead late in the first half and is driving. We are telling each other that if they go up 21-7 and get the ball to start the second half, JB is in trouble. WC then lays it on the ground and JB scores tie it up. WC gets the ball and after a great scramble from Tyler Rice, they are looking like they are going to score. Rice throws a pass across the middle that is tipped and intercepted. This should have been caught and WC maybe still goes up 21-14. It is instead tied at the half. WC had to feel bad as they outplayed JB by a mile in the 1st half and end up tied. Either way the turnovers kill WC!

You cannot turn it over 4 times against that quality of an opponent and expect to win. Jo Byrns is not where they are at because they are no good. They took advantage of the breaks they were given and got the win.

I'm glad I missed the last minute and I hate to hear what happened. I understand being frustrated and feeling like your kids are being mistreated; however, you cannot lose control. It sounds like that's what happened and it's unfortunate. That will take away from a great game between two great teams. Hopefully that will pass because both of these teams are very good. Tyler Rice is as good as advertised and JB is a very good team.

They will have to play well to beat the high-powered attack of Perry County with PC having the home field advantage. I'm sure Linden and Perry County will be shutdown for the game! That having been said, PC should watch film and learn a lesson - you can smack JB in the mouth but they will not go away! Like all good teams they will come back. They have not been ranked #1 all season for no reason. And their experience keeps them from hanging their heads when they get down.

Good luck to both teams next week in Linden. Wish I was going to be able to be there for a great game!!!! But family and Thanksgiving call!

Excellent post.

I wanna say good job to the guys up front for the Devils. Honestly you were getting beaten the first half. The second half was the O and D line that has gotten the Devils where they are today. Lets start first series and not wait until the second half next week and get this thing done. Nothing can be accomplished without you guys on the line.

I'm bad with names and all, but I did meet you pregame, right? It was good to meet wildcatalumni as well. There was a bunch of mess (as Roy would say) at the end of the game but he and jusboro still shook my hand...ya'll are alright by me. Class acts! :thumb:

Ok, first thing....Shep, Moto, JBalumni, and the rest, it was great to meet you guys, and like ya'll said put a face with a name. I wish I could have talked to more of ya'll after the game but I was tryin to congradulate some players. My little brother(#4) has played with these seniors since they were 5 and 6 years old. I hate to see it end and I will miss this senior class. I've seen these kids grow up and pretty much grew up with them, heck I'm only 4 years older than most of those seniors. They have had a great four years. One of the most winning group in Wildcat history! :thumb:

On to the game....I was upset with the refs but that is how it goes and for anyone to say they wouldn't be upset when your losin and its your last game of the year....well, than your liein....espically if your kid is a senior. Although, the refs did not beat us, regardless of the refs, we still would have lost that game. You can't turn the ball over 4 times and beat a team like that(JB ya'll have a good team, as I figured ya'll would). The game was ours to win but we laid back and let JB get their game rollin and then didn't respond when they took the lead(Which I was afraid would happen). We left the run game to early, IMO. #4 and #21 was really gettin good yards mixin it up. #1 for JB is a good player. He is a hard runner that never gives up and #25 at MLB was all over the field, great player and kid. It was a great game just like I hoped it would be....I just wish we would have been on the other end of the finish.

On to the after....All that hopla, which is what it was....hopla, at the end of the game was just plain stupid. Like I said, I was upset but some ppl let their emotions get the best of them and that means both sides. I rushed the field to try and make sure I got to shake #25's hand and some guy was lookin at me tellin me quote "to get off the field, that we were beat and to just go home, you losers". I didn't even respond, no class from that man. The woman from JB that was throwin the F-bomb around was crazy, but there was some woman from WC that ran up beside me sayin the same thing. Shep, I am glad you found me after and I got to talk to you again, you have my respect and good luck to you guys next week.

As for my Wildcats, you boys had another great season. There is nothing to be ashamed of and I will always back you boys 100%. Great Job Wildcats!!!! :thumb:

Well, WC was physical and won the turnover/penalty category the 1st quarter. When WC went deep right after the JB fumble and got intercepted momentum shifted and WC never got it back. All year long (except PC) T. Rice has been able to carry the offense and hit the deep ball almost at will. Not quite as easy as the quality of opponents has improved. I was wondering where was WC's intermediate and short passing game? It's hard to complete passes 35+ yards down the field when the QB is scrambling and the DB's have good closing speed. Shorter passes worked in the 3rd quarter when we moved he ball down the field before the holding penalties backed us out of the red zone. I don't make a habit of complaining about the officiating, but it was kind of convenient for the refs to flag WC for at least 3 holds, all on the JB side of the field, when WC started getting in scoring position, but they missed an obvious pass interference just before halftime that would have given WC the ball at the 5 or 10 with about 20 seconds to go. Saw few other things that could have been called on JB (block in the back on a kickoff return, and contact on A. Rice more than 5 yards down the field), but oh well. WC shouldn't put it all on the refs. They should have taken better care of the ball. JB has a good team. Give them credit, but they better be ready for PC, because it sure sounds like PC is rolling right now.

Great post wolverine. I COMPLETELY agree about the intermediate and short passing game. There were several of us trying to understand why we didn't see more of it. Even early on when we were having lots of success running, we almost completely abandoned the passing game, however, I feel strongly we should have kept it more balananced to keep em honest. Their D backs were giving us plenty of cushion and in the 2nd half we did hit a couple hook routes on the sideline, one to #19 (skelton) and one to #10 Mathis across the middle, but we didn't remain consistent with hittin these routes. The 'should have been called' pass interference right b4 the half REALLY hurt. A score there changes the whole complexion of the game. With all that said, there were just times it seemed JB wanted it more when we had their backs in the backfield for a loss and didn't keep the motor running to bring em down. Credit to JB running backs, they refused to go down.....reminds me of #41 for WC last year in the same game. Their will to win seemed to be stronger at times. Gonna miss T. Rice in the backfield.....guess we'll be ready for a strong case of the veer next year. It should be fun.

Ok, first thing....Shep, Moto, JBalumni, and the rest, it was great to meet you guys, and like ya'll said put a face with a name. I wish I could have talked to more of ya'll after the game but I was tryin to congradulate some players. My little brother(#4) has played with these seniors since they were 5 and 6 years old. I hate to see it end and I will miss this senior class. I've seen these kids grow up and pretty much grew up with them, heck I'm only 4 years older than most of those seniors. They have had a great four years. One of the most winning group in Wildcat history! :thumb:

On to the game....I was upset with the refs but that is how it goes and for anyone to say they wouldn't be upset when your losin and its your last game of the year....well, than your liein....espically if your kid is a senior. Although, the refs did not beat us, regardless of the refs, we still would have lost that game. You can't turn the ball over 4 times and beat a team like that(JB ya'll have a good team, as I figured ya'll would). The game was ours to win but we laid back and let JB get their game rollin and then didn't respond when they took the lead(Which I was afraid would happen). We left the run game to early, IMO. #4 and #21 was really gettin good yards mixin it up. #1 for JB is a good player. He is a hard runner that never gives up and #25 at MLB was all over the field, great player and kid. It was a great game just like I hoped it would be....I just wish we would have been on the other end of the finish.

On to the after....All that hopla, which is what it was....hopla, at the end of the game was just plain stupid. Like I said, I was upset but some ppl let their emotions get the best of them and that means both sides. I rushed the field to try and make sure I got to shake #25's hand and some guy was lookin at me tellin me quote "to get off the field, that we were beat and to just go home, you losers". I didn't even respond, no class from that man. The woman from JB that was throwin the F-bomb around was crazy, but there was some woman from WC that ran up beside me sayin the same thing. Shep, I am glad you found me after and I got to talk to you again, you have my respect and good luck to you guys next week.

As for my Wildcats, you boys had another great season. There is nothing to be ashamed of and I will always back you boys 100%. Great Job Wildcats!!!! :thumb:

It is one of the hardest things to deal with is watching your son, brother etc., lose the final game of their career especially when you're up 14-0 and think things are going pretty well. The same thing happened to me and the Devils last year at WC. We cried, walked off the field and headed home. You don't have to prepare yourself emotionally for a win but a lose sometimes you can't accept at the moment.

The thing we need to be aware of is not to do something that will bring negativity to our programs. Kids react, grown folks should restrain.

I have the utmost respect for Rick Rice. I pulling for Tyler Rice to win Mr. Football, although he didn't have his best game last night he still deserves it.

It is one of the hardest things to deal with is watching your son, brother etc., lose the final game of their career especially when you're up 14-0 and think things are going pretty well. The same thing happened to me and the Devils last year at WC. We cried, walked off the field and headed home. You don't have to prepare yourself emotionally for a win but a lose sometimes you can't accept at the moment.

The thing we need to be aware of is not to do something that will bring negativity to our programs. Kids react, grown folks should restrain.

I have the utmost respect for Rick Rice. I pulling for Tyler Rice to win Mr. Football, although he didn't have his best game last night he still deserves it.

Good post! :thumb: Sat. mornings suck after a night like last night.

We all know that the drama during the last minute of the game and the immediate period afterward was a sad componet of some fans of football. We all know that there are fans of every team, yes JB has some too that take things a little to far and leave the rest of us shaking our heads they aren't bad people just a little over zealous. I enjoyed meeting the WC fans that post on here that I got to meet. Thanks, for coming over for your helping of crow, Jusboro. I was told you got lost so I didn't get to see ya before the game enjoy your souvenir from the dungeon and I look forward to seeing ya at PC and by the way GO VOLS.

Good post! :thumb: Sat. mornings suck after a night like last night.

I got the chance to talk to T Rice on his way off the field and let him know that he has a lot more football to play and that it was a pleasure to get to see him play and grow into a great QB and young man from the other side of the field. He seemed like a good kid and even though he was in a lot of pain and was down on himself, he was able to pull off a smile.

Thats what it's all about. Having a good attitude will take you far not only in football but in LIFE!!

Good Luck Mr Rice and the rest of you WC men!