ECS at Webb

Vols12345678

Well we got the same matchup as last years semifinal except its at the Spartans home this year. Last year, ECS and Webb were the best two teams in Division II-A no doubt and it was disappointing that the two did not meet in the State Championship. However, there semifinal game was a great game and this year ECS will be coming to Knoxville with revenge on their minds. ECS's stud player was there QB last year but was injured and has comeback as a wide receiver this year. He is a playmaker and is the difference maker for ECS. The Spartans have their ground attack lead by the Blance brothers who have yet to be stopped all year. This one should be fun to watch. Any thoughts on the game?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/nov/17/preps-playoffs-no-time-to-change-plans/

Not a lot of insight but at least a mention of both DII-A semi-finals since Memphis-area teams are in both games. The one notable item of substance in the story is that probably the fastest player on the ECS team, Will Jamison, will apparently get some time on defense this week. The Blance brothers, deservedly, have got the full attention of the ECS staff apparently. Only a couple of more days and we get to find out if it actually matters. Do y'all know for sure if Webb will be live-streaming again? I got a kick out of the students(?) calling the game.

The MHSAA charges the Mississippi schools both for the right to broadcast on radio and internet stream during the playoffs. I get it since that's one of their few ways to make money for the association but it sure draws the ire of some of the fans.

Edited by Trojan Fan

Do y'all know for sure if Webb will be live-streaming again? I got a kick out of the students(?) calling the game.

Yes there will be live streaming. Go to the Webb/TSSAA link to see the game. And yes, they are students. And yes, the TSSAA charges the school but it is underwritten by the Spartan Football 2010 club.

Good luck to ECS. They are a heck of a team.

Edited by WebbSpartans

I'm really looking forward to the game tonight. It should be a very hard-fought game with both teams leaving everything on the field. There's no doubt the taste of last years' domination by Webb at ECS, in the semi-final game, still taste just as bad today as it did that night to everyone at ECS.

ECS returns some very talented players in the Jamisons, Childers and many others. Webb certainly got their attention last year, so the Spartans should expect the Eagles to come out focused and ready to hit them with everything they have.

Webb's defense will have to contend with a very talented, balanced offense that poses many threats with talented skill position athletes. Webb's offense will need to mix it up and keep ECS off balance. In last year's matchup, Webb was able to use many weapons and displayed a mixture of runs and passes that kept ECS on their heels.

ECS's defense will be faced with slowing down the Blance brothers and an offense that at times has shown the ability to throw the ball when teams decide to load the box. Focusing on stopping two talented backs is made even more difficult by the fact that Webb's 3rd back is quick, fast and talented as well. ECS will have to find the ballcarrier as quickly as possible since Webb's wing-t offense uses a good deal of fakes and misdirection. If ECS decides to just focus on stopping the Blance brothers by scheming their defense that way, Webb's offensive coordinator will make adjustments and exploit the weaknesses that are there. I think it's very interesting that ECS is going to play one of the Jamisons at free safety on defense. He is certainly an exceptional athlete with tremendous speed. I would imagine his job will be to run down anyone from Webb's offense and keep them from breaking a long play for a score. This is the kind of challenge Webb's offense usually rises to.

ECS's offense will present a significant challenge to Webb's defense. With the Spartans playing USJ last week it could have been a very good thing because I expect the ECS offense to be similar. I expect ECS to be balanced with tough runners and a very good young QB who has some talented targets that he is getting more and more comfortable with. Will Jamison will be in the mix at multiple positions so Webb's defense will have to always account for where he is. One thing that ECS should expect is that Webb's defense can be very physical and love to hit.

In the end, I really think this game will go down to the wire. I'm really hoping the Spartans can win and go back to Cookeville to defend their State Championship but it wouldn't be a surprise if ECS came to Knoxville and left with a win. Should be a GREAT game to watch!

My opinion is the reason for success of the Spartan offense all year is not necessarily the Blance brothers but actually the O line and the headsets up top scanning the defense.

Very, very good points... The o-line began the season as an unknown for the most part. They have gotten better week after week and now are a very solid unit. They have remained mostly healthy all season and have proven that they can get the job done against any defense they have faced up to this point.

I have said many times previously that Webb's coaching staff is without question at the very top in the state at any classification. They are very adept at making adjustments on offense and defense as the game unfolds to take advantages of weaknesses in their opponents. With the amount of experience they have, there's not much they haven't seen before.

My opinion is the reason for success of the Spartan offense all year is not necessarily the Blance brothers but actually the O line and the headsets up top scanning the defense.

My son is a lineman so my chest swells when I see comments like the above. And I agree that the play calling is pretty awesome.

But as cliche as it may sound, it is the balance of the Webb program. It just seems that when one dimension is not "up to par" there is another part that steps up. And the coaching (all of them--in the box and on the field) prepare the boys each week but are never afraid to make adjustments given game circumstances.

It's quite a blessing that is hard to understand by the casual outsider.

In the end, I really think this game will go down to the wire. I'm really hoping the Spartans can win and go back to Cookeville to defend their State Championship but it wouldn't be a surprise if ECS came to Knoxville and left with a win. Should be a GREAT game to watch!

The above is dead on. It was not over "until it was over".

There is no way to describe the ECS team, their coaches or their gracious fans. They came with their "A" ready to go. Their players would not lay down when I seemed that the game was going into our favor. And I truly believed that they were going to score even when the clock showed 00:38 and they were on the Webb 2 yard line.

To me, ECS are ferocious warriors with hearts of champions. They deserve all the future success they receive.