Dobyns bennett off season thread

WaCoJaCo

I would argue that DB has nothing to gain by playing Alcoa. If DB wins, folks will say they beat a small school and should have won. If we lose, people will say we got beat by a small school. We lose either way, IMO. I also don't think that we could beat Alcoa, soothe losses wouldn't help from a confidence stand point either.

Remember, Alcoa has beaten Maryville two years in a row. One of those wins came without Alcoa completing a single pass. Alcoa doesn't need to outcoach teams (and they have a fine staff) - they out-athlete everyone they face.

We have to be smarter than that. Anybody with half a brain knows what Alcoa brings to the table. They are not your average small school. To be sure, the upper east tn. haters will cry foul if we played Alcoa and won or lost. But who cares. Alcoa has beaten Maryville two years in a row and it don't look like its hurt their confidence any. Only made them stronger. Theres no reason why we can't be the same way. I think we have everything to gain by playing Alcoa. I would go for Alcoa, Maryville, or Oak Ridge for a game next year and drop Clinton or Sevier Co. (or both)

• Upvote 1

We have to be smarter than that. Anybody with half a brain knows what Alcoa brings to the table. They are not your average small school. To be sure, the upper east tn. haters will cry foul if we played Alcoa and won or lost. But who cares. Alcoa has beaten Maryville two years in a row and it don't look like its hurt their confidence any. Only made them stronger. Theres no reason why we can't be the same way. I think we have everything to gain by playing Alcoa. I would go for Alcoa, Maryville, or Oak Ridge for a game next year and drop Clinton or Sevier Co. (or both)

There is a reason that the bigger schools in the Knoxville area dont/wont play Alcoa in the regular season. It's the same reason that I outlined earlier. I also don't believe that Alcoa would want to play them either in the regular season, but that is just my opinion.

However, Powell, Farragut and OR have all scrimmaged Alcoa recently. All pretty much got the h*ll beat out of them, too. Don't know that is the way to build up a team. Maybe it would be better to scrimmage Alcoa because we no longer scrimmage M'ville. I guess it would depend on the make up of a particular team. It didn't seem to help is the year we got beat by pretty good Farragut and Clinton teams. That team never got better as the season went along.

Maryville doesn't suffer from a confidence problem regardless of how they play against Alcoa - and they always play pretty well against them. They have confidence in their coaching staff that they will be put in a position to win football games. I heard a M'ville player say a few years ago that 'winners know how to win and losers know how to lose.' That's their attitude in every game.

I believe that M'ville has confidence - especially in the playoffs - that they are going to win. Their confidence is based on past experience. I worry that DB's confidence in the playoffs is also based on past experiences.

There is a reason that the bigger schools in the Knoxville area dont/wont play Alcoa in the regular season. It's the same reason that I outlined earlier. I also don't believe that Alcoa would want to play them either in the regular season, but that is just my opinion.

However, Powell, Farragut and OR have all scrimmaged Alcoa recently. All pretty much got the h*ll beat out of them, too. Don't know that is the way to build up a team. Maybe it would be better to scrimmage Alcoa because we no longer scrimmage M'ville. I guess it would depend on the make up of a particular team. It didn't seem to help is the year we got beat by pretty good Farragut and Clinton teams. That team never got better as the season went along.

Maryville doesn't suffer from a confidence problem regardless of how they play against Alcoa - and they always play pretty well against them. They have confidence in their coaching staff that they will be put in a position to win football games. I heard a M'ville player say a few years ago that 'winners know how to win and losers know how to lose.' That's their attitude in every game.

I believe that M'ville has confidence - especially in the playoffs - that they are going to win. Their confidence is based on past experience. I worry that DB's confidence in the playoffs is also based on past experiences.

Well do you just pack it in and quite? If so then you have no need for a football program. The loss to Bearden was due to stupid penalties, not lack of confidence. We rolled up over 500yrds of offense. We also gave over 100yrds to Bearden in penalty yardage. That is what got us. We had disapline problems all year and we never fixed it. We will have a better "team" next year if we fix the disapline problem and fix the special teams problem. I already know we will fix the secondary because that coach is to good and this can't continue another year. No way.