Dobyns bennett off season thread

WaCoJaCo

Steele would have been on TN/VA bowl game and east/west game, Hall would have been on TN/VA game and the east/west game and Cross would have been on TN/VA game as well. This is from a coach's mouth, not mine. Steele is is Basketball and doing well in it, of course. Hall is out of basketball, Basketball coach will not work with him on his football recruiting vists. He has since been snatched up very quickly to play in the Border Bowl all-star game. Cross is in Basketball and has no intention playing football at next level. I was not told why CS wasn't picked for the TN/VA bowl and did not think to ask because I thought he was picked for that game. I asked about the others because of the ridiculous rule DB has in place.

Could you let us know why cs did not get picked for the game

Steele would have been on TN/VA bowl game and east/west game, Hall would have been on TN/VA game and the east/west game and Cross would have been on TN/VA game as well. This is from a coach's mouth, not mine. Steele is is Basketball and doing well in it, of course. Hall is out of basketball, Basketball coach will not work with him on his football recruiting vists. He has since been snatched up very quickly to play in the Border Bowl all-star game. Cross is in Basketball and has no intention playing football at next level. I was not told why CS wasn't picked for the TN/VA bowl and did not think to ask because I thought he was picked for that game. I asked about the others because of the ridiculous rule DB has in place.

Could you let us know why cs did not get picked for the game

Let me see if I read this right. Cory Hall quit basketball because Morgan wouldn't give him time off for recruiting visits?

Let me see if I read this right. Cory Hall quit basketball because Morgan wouldn't give him time off for recruiting visits?

yes that is correct. Cory said at the big 8 dinner He went to GA Tech on a recruit visit and missed a Saturday practice and Morgan told him that would be his last. He would not allow him to miss anymore. Morgan also told him he would be getting very little if any playing time (after starting half the season last year) so, if he wanted to focus on football that might be the right thing for him to do. That was a decision he had to make, waste his time or hit the weights and do his visits. I'm sure thats why DB football players playing winter sports can't play in any of the bowl game, "Morgan". Cory got picked up asap in the National Guard Border Bowl in KY, so good for him.

yes that is correct. Cory said at the big 8 dinner He went to GA Tech on a recruit visit and missed a Saturday practice and Morgan told him that would be his last. He would not allow him to miss anymore. Morgan also told him he would be getting very little if any playing time (after starting half the season last year) so, if he wanted to focus on football that might be the right thing for him to do. That was a decision he had to make, waste his time or hit the weights and do his visits. I'm sure thats why DB football players playing winter sports can't play in any of the bowl game, "Morgan". Cory got picked up asap in the National Guard Border Bowl in KY, so good for him.

Has Cory been offered by GT?

Who else has offered Cory?

Has Cory been offered by GT?

Who else has offered Cory?

I don't know, he didnt say. I was just standing in the midst of this conversation. I'm sure he is getting looked at though. He is pretty humble and laid back. Just like on the field, he isn't a glory God by no means and thats not what he's looking for. He is a quiet strong leader and gets the job done and more. I have alot of respect for this young man. He earns everything he gets. It doesnt come off of anything but his talent, no advertisement hype or polatics and he is extremley kind and respectful. He isn't a bullying like some. Everyone from South, Boone, Crockett, S.H, Central on and on that knows him (alot knows him to) has nothing but good things to say about this young man. I guess he is what you call an underdog and I hope he prevails.

Well I guess Morgan's stubborn ego is more important than Cory Halls education. To bad, we're stuck with Morgan until he desides to retire. The only schools that would ever try to hire him away would be the locals and they can't afford to up his salary. Nobody that could afford him wants him. He'll win his 15-20 games every year, go to the state playoffs ever now and then but will never win a game there. In the 70's, 80's and early 90's DB was a basketball powerhouse. We'll never have that again. Smart choice by Cory.

How is DB's non-conference schedule shaping up?

From everything I've heard its the same as this year. I wish we could drop Farragut and Clinton and go with Maryville and Oak Ridge. We desperately need some beef on our schedule. Two losses to those to teams would be better than two wins over Farragut and Clinton come playoff time.

Well I guess Morgan's stubborn ego is more important than Cory Halls education. To bad, we're stuck with Morgan until he desides to retire. The only schools that would ever try to hire him away would be the locals and they can't afford to up his salary. Nobody that could afford him wants him. He'll win his 15-20 games every year, go to the state playoffs ever now and then but will never win a game there. In the 70's, 80's and early 90's DB was a basketball powerhouse. We'll never have that again. Smart choice by Cory.

Funny.

Say what you want about Morgan, but he has done more with less. That 'powerhouse' that we had in the early 90's lasted all of about two years. That 'powerhouse' produced exactly one state tournament victory. We beat a Haywood Co. team that featured Tony Delk. I was there.

How many teams has he beat that he shouldn't have? Several. He has taken several very average teams to the state. He hasn't had near the talent that Shipley had in his 'powerhouse' of the early 90's. He hasn't had a single player as good as Black, Carnes or Mills. Maybe not even as good as Fred Smith.

How many teams has GC beat that he shouldn't have? How many teams has he lost to that he shouldn't have?