6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

Can't wait for tomorrow to get here. This is going to be a great game. Records, schedules, district championships, past titles, and whatever else either team can come up with will not matter in this game. The two best teams are playing for this title. Both teams have the possibility of rolling up big points on each other and the ability of shutting the other out. Coaching will be top notch in this one as well. But since I am a Bulldog fan i am going to predict Smyrna comes out on top 21-10. Why? Because i can. Hope this is an injury free game. See yall in Cookeville.

The thing that I always love about being a Maryville fan in a game like this is knowing that the boys will be prepared for whatever comes at them. I literally don't think I've ever seen them shell-shocked. Even if they come in and get down early, each player will have complete confidence that if the gameplan the coaches have drawn up is followed, they'll have a chance to win. Trust cannot be undervalued.

On the contrary, I've seen a number of teams (and yes some at this level) get shell-shocked by how multiple, complex and efficient the Rebels can be.

This thread is fun. It reminds me of the old days. For the first few years that MHS was making annual appearances in the gold ball game, it seemed like every team we were about to face was certain that we didn't quite belong there for some reason and that our competition was weak or that we'd just gotten lucky with some "trick plays" along the way. I'm in no way saying that anyone has stated that in this thread...but it feels like those days when most people felt like we would find ourselves overmatched. That has shifted in the past couple of years, and quite honestly it feels good to be back there again.

Quick thoughts:

- If you think great speed is the key to beating Maryville, I think you're wrong. That was less the recipe Alcoa used than the battering ram followed with great speed approach.

- If this Smyrna defense really is as fast as the one Hillsboro had in (I think) 2005, then it will be the fastest defense I've ever seen and they better be careful to keep containment and not overpursue. GQ has seen fast defenses before.

- I agree that this thread isn't about MHS/AHS, but I take issue with anyone who would suggest GQ isn't the best coach around.

I'm really excited about this game. I hope that the Rebels can get it done. Win or lose though, I'm incredibly proud of these boys. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team grow as much as this one this year. They represent their school, their families and this community so incredibly well.