My Annual "I Hate the Wing-T" Thread

Solomon

SwamiSays Thank You. It is good to be above ground period.

Yes, the WingT is effective in Calif. It also works well in Ga. Thing is in both areas they also PASS!

I would like to see if it is successful in places like Texas, Florida, and Ohio though.

breakawayspeed You use logic and reason and present a pretty good argument. Thank You.

slagiatt Good point about Auburn. Glad that I entertain you and that Coach A is consistant. I just wish it was not at CHOKING in the playoffs. No, I do not hate Coach A. Man did more to get kids scholarships his first year than Coach Rankin did his entire time at R'dale. What I actually hate is the CHOKING!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SwamiSays Thank You. It is good to be above ground period.

Yes, the WingT is effective in Calif. It also works well in Ga. Thing is in both areas they also PASS!

I would like to see if it is successful in places like Texas, Florida, and Ohio though.

breakawayspeed You use logic and reason and present a pretty good argument. Thank You.

slagiatt Good point about Auburn. Glad that I entertain you and that Coach A is consistant. I just wish it was not at CHOKING in the playoffs. No, I do not hate Coach A. Man did more to get kids scholarships his first year than Coach Rankin did his entire time at R'dale. What I actually hate is the CHOKING!

You exposed your flank

http://forums.5atexasfootball.com/showthread.php?t=19482

Yes, but at least now folks are saying WHY and giving reasons I should not hate it instead of just attacking me personally.

What is sad though is the more I see of it in this light, the more I think it is NOT the offense but the Coach.

BTW, I loved the military 'flank' reference. :D

Most of the time it is the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's and O's. Coaches make a difference though, just not as much as some of them would like to think.

OK, yes we were young this year, but we have a passer who has proved over and over he can hit receivers on the run better that the average HS QB can in a pocket. Team has NOT been taught how to pass block effectively. Yes they can run block, but their pass blocking is woefully lacking. THAT is a Coaching Problem.

Add to this the problem during the first half of the year the team looked like it never woke up until the second half. That goes back to motivation and that IS a Coaching problem. You MUST have them ready from the opening whistle or you might as well not dress out for the game.

Can we all agree we are seeing a trend here?

I haven't watched R-dale play is years. I was being more philosophical about football in general.

If they don't pass block well then maybe the o-line coach is lacking the knowledge. Also, how are they passing, are they using play-action or drop back more?

I can agree that you gotta do what best suits your players on a yearly basis. If the kid can throw, then you gotta work that into your scheme. If you got John Riggins as your FB your QB might throw less. Good coaches exploit their own talent by utilizing it.

Yes, but at least now folks are saying WHY and giving reasons I should not hate it instead of just attacking me personally.

What is sad though is the more I see of it in this light, the more I think it is NOT the offense but the Coach.

BTW, I loved the military 'flank' reference. :D

Arguing with you is both enjoyable and rewarding!

Those that really understand the offense like it AND hate defending it..........here is a tip LOD; the reason a lot of coaches will dismiss; it is because they do not have the ability to run it; it requires a bit more coaching and technique than they possess (many are not capable of that). You seem to appreciate technique; therefore I think you would appreciate it more IF you really understood the ins and outs of the "O" (trust me; you do not......you just see parts that you think do not like).

The offense is really helpful when you are not as talented as some of your opponents........especially in the offensive line. It simply gives you a chance to be competitve!! THAT's ALL.

I mentioned before......this year Hendersonville was a good-solid HS team; the last (2) teams that they beat in the play-offs were more talented than them (especially the Memphis team.......that team losing was a crime vs nature!!). Columbia was estatic that they did not have to play the Memphis team. I actually think that the Wing Offense skewed the 5A play-offs......they should have not been there; but the offense helped them (*note they run it well). Also, the year before a wing team Beech beat a more talented Columbia team (they could not defend the jet sweep)

IT IS NEVER THE PLAYS.............IT IS ALWAYS THE PLAYERS.........ALWAYS!!

the SLAG has spoken (LOL)

OK. Lets look at them REALISTICALLY.

D2 1A Knox Webb Yes a Wing T team

D2 2A Ensworth Not a Wing T team

1A South Pittsburg Not a Wing T team

2A Signal Mountain Yes a Wing T team

3A Alcoa Not a Wing T team

4A Greeneville Not a Wing T team

5A Columbia Not a Wing T team

6A Maryville Not a Wing T team

So out of 8 Championships in Tennessee this year we have exactly two tams that used the Wing T. The 'Best' a Wing T team did in any classification above 2A was Hendersonville and they got beat 28-7 in 5A.

Now I never claimed to be a football genius, but the plain facts above leads me to believe the WingT does NOT do well above the 2A classification in Tennessee. Yes, I also know Hillsboro did win it a few years ago in 4A but to be honest that was a fluke!

Signal Mountain will be in 4A next year, guess we will find out. They do give other looks also.

Edited by realmenwearred

OK. Lets look at them REALISTICALLY.

D2 1A Knox Webb Yes a Wing T team

D2 2A Ensworth Not a Wing T team

1A South Pittsburg Not a Wing T team

2A Signal Mountain Yes a Wing T team

3A Alcoa Not a Wing T team

4A Greeneville Not a Wing T team

5A Columbia Not a Wing T team

6A Maryville Not a Wing T team

So out of 8 Championships in Tennessee this year we have exactly two tams that used the Wing T. The 'Best' a Wing T team did in any classification above 2A was Hendersonville and they got beat 28-7 in 5A.

Now I never claimed to be a football genius, but the plain facts above leads me to believe the WingT does NOT do well above the 2A classification in Tennessee. Yes, I also know Hillsboro did win it a few years ago in 4A but to be honest that was a fluke!

MAYBE 6 OUT OF THE 8 TEAMS HAD BETTER DEFENSES AND/OR SPECIAL TEAMS THAN THEIR OPPONENTS!

6 outta 8 teams were from east tn - maybe that has somethin to do wth it!?!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, as you supposedly know so much more that the WingT is superior, CONVINCE ME.

I am a reasonable human being and will listen patiently to your argument for it.

For that matter ALL you WING-T lovers convince me!

Mt Juliet has altered their wing-t some but are still classified as a wing-t offense. For the last couple years other teams have struggled to stop this offense that MJ runs. It was the defensive side that cost MJ from advancing past the 2nd round not the wing-t.I know they only scored 20 points against Smyrna in the playoffs but how many others scored 20 or more against Smyrna's D this year?