Franklin Won't Play BGA

sportshooter

We may have to wait another 100 years before the next BGA- Franklin football game. Franklin has turned down BGA's request to continue the rivalry. Now it looks like BGA may be travelling to Smyrna in week zero. Do Franklin fans agree with the school principal that it is not in their interest to play the school down the street? The games were competitive the last two years and the community interest was tremendous.

We may have to wait another 100 years before the next BGA- Franklin football game. Franklin has turned down BGA's request to continue the rivalry. Now it looks like BGA may be travelling to Smyrna in week zero. Do Franklin fans agree with the school principal that it is not in their interest to play the school down the street? The games were competitive the last two years and the community interest was tremendous.

I would say that after what happened to Brentwood this year (5-0 in the district with a win over Franklin, but overall 7-3 compared to Franklin's 8-2)being seeded lower then Franklin in the playoffs, that the school's principal would feel that it would be in their best interest to play as soft a non district schedule as possible. Hopefully TSSAA fixes that glitch in the system, but until they do, only the CONFIDENT will play a tough out of district schedule. I hear Ravenwood has agreed to play BGA next year. Any truth to that rumor?

I haven't heard anything about a game with Ravenwood, but I have heard that Milan may be on BGA's schedule. That seems like somewhat of an odd pairing, but it would feature two programs with long histories.

Ravenwood is definitely on the schedule but I don't think Milan is (unless the game with Smyrna did not get scheduled)

I would say that after what happened to Brentwood this year (5-0 in the district with a win over Franklin, but overall 7-3 compared to Franklin's 8-2)being seeded lower then Franklin in the playoffs, that the school's principal would feel that it would be in their best interest to play as soft a non district schedule as possible. Hopefully TSSAA fixes that glitch in the system, but until they do, only the CONFIDENT will play a tough out of district schedule. I hear Ravenwood has agreed to play BGA next year. Any truth to that rumor?

"SOFT non district" Why do you say this? I know that this year those two teams from Kentucky and Ooltewah were down but I have never seen Coach Clayton play "soft" teams! Since he has been at Franklin we have been playing good teams. Fern Creek had more college players than half the teams most teams played combined! It was not our fault that Ooltewah was down this year. Besides, are you so sure that it was Franklin that did not want to play this game??? My guess is Coach Clayton wanted to play the game but others did not want to play it.

"SOFT non district" Why do you say this? I know that this year those two teams from Kentucky and Ooltewah were down but I have never seen Coach Clayton play "soft" teams! Since he has been at Franklin we have been playing good teams. Fern Creek had more college players than half the teams most teams played combined! It was not our fault that Ooltewah was down this year. Besides, are you so sure that it was Franklin that did not want to play this game??? My guess is Coach Clayton wanted to play the game but others did not want to play it.

I am 100% sure that Franklin did not want to play the game...not sure if it was Clayton or the principal's decision. I do know that if it were not for Coach Clayton, the first game in 2009 would not have been played. He thought it would be good for the community and scheduled it despite the principals wishes. Therefore, I doubt it was Clayton who turned down the game.

I am not sure why you are taking such exception to my comments. I didn't say anything about Franklin's schedule this past season, or Coach Clayton's intentions for his schedule. Instead, I was just trying to answer the question that was posed as to why Franklin won't continue the series with BGA. If overall wins continues to decide where teams are seeded in the playoffs, it would be in the best interest of all teams in your district to play a "SOFT non district" schedule.