SlamFest at Clarksville

wrestlingdad

Ravenwood rallies to victory

By Jimmy Trodglen • The Leaf-Chronicle • December 12, 2010

With three starters absent from its lineup, Clarksville High realized it was going to need near perfection to take Ravenwood in the finals of Slamfest.

And it took Ravenwood a dramatic rally to prevent Clarksville High from accomplishing that feat.

Facing a 19-6 deficit only six matches into Saturday night’s title match, Ravenwod, the No. 12-ranked team in the state, recovered quickly, then used the final two matches to pull off a 35-29 win.

With the Wildcats holding onto a 29-24 lead after Cody Oliver’s 16-4 win at 119, the Raptors used a pin and a tech fall to complete the comeback.

“I was really proud of our kids. We wrestled almost as well as we could today,†Clarksville High coach Jeff Jordan said. “We will be a lot better (as the season continues). We will be back full strength, plus we will be better, and I have a lot of kids that are very inexperienced.

“They only have five or six matches under their belts, and at the end of January they will probably have 35 matches under their belts.â€

The Wildcats finished pool play 3-0 beating Fort Campbell 63-15, Rossview 47-26 and Arlington 44-22. They held off Hendersonville 36-29 in the semifinals to reach the title match.

Ravenwood cruised to the title match with a 61-11 win over Northeast, followed by wins over Cookeville (67-6) and Dickson County (55-17). They earned their ticket for the title match with a 46-34 win over Beech.

“I saw a lot of heart in some kids that I didn’t know had it,†Jordan said. “If they have heart they will get better. They have the desire to get better, so I feel some of the kids I don’t even think they knew what they were about.â€

Starting at the 135-pound weight class, the Wildcats fell into an early 6-0 deficit when Ravenwood’s Tanner Reynolds pinned Patrick Grady in 5:05.

The Wildcats collected points in the next five matches with Hayden Jordan recording a pin with 45.9 seconds left in his 145-pound match. Ren Baggett’s 11-5 win over Camden Greco at 171 pushed the Wildcats ahead 19-6.

Ravenwood narrowed the gap to 19-12 at 189 when Cody Stewart pinned Wes Beagle in 1:25. The Wildcats quickly regained the points when Bruno Reagan finished off his match at 215 pinning Evan Long in 16 seconds.

From there, Ravenwood won the next three matches with Kyle Kuennhold’s 4-1 win at 112 closing the gap to 25-24.

Clarksville pushed its lead to 29-24 with Oliver’s decision at 119.

But Ravenwood took the final two matches on the strength of Jacob Freeman’s pin at 125 and Bradley Butters technical fall win at 130.

“Every match went the way it probably should have,†Jordan said. “Some of them, we should have gotten a tech or a major, so we left a point on the table. But it ended up one point wouldn’t have mattered, but four or five would have mattered.â€

Note: In the other finals, Hendersonville beat Beech in the third-place match, while Dickson County took fifth, Arlington won the seventh-place match, Northwest was ninth and Rossview was 11th.

A couple of the more notable matches in the Clarksville-Ravenwood final were from 140 and 171 lbs.

Chad Isbell decisioned Ryan Churchill at 140 and Ren Baggett decisioned Camden Greco at 171. I believe Greco defeated Jonathan Roberts of Beech earlier in the day. Roberts is currently ranked #1 at 171 on Brays.

A couple of the more notable matches in the Clarksville-Ravenwood final were from 140 and 171 lbs.

Chad Isbell decisioned Ryan Churchill at 140 and Ren Baggett decisioned Camden Greco at 171. I believe Greco defeated Jonathan Roberts of Beech earlier in the day. Roberts is currently ranked #1 at 171 on Brays.

Roberts was dq when he should not have been. it was third penalty which should have resulted in 2 points not dq. First penalty 1 point second, 1 point, third is 2 points, fourth is you done. well he got ousted on third penalty. Ref said so himself. after the fact!!!

COngrats to Ravenwood they are a great team and awesome job.

Region 7 really flexed there muscle at this tournament. I noticed on another post that region 7 gonna be weak this season. I dont think so.

Roberts was dq when he should not have been. it was third penalty which should have resulted in 2 points not dq. First penalty 1 point second, 1 point, third is 2 points, fourth is you done. well he got ousted on third penalty. Ref said so himself. after the fact!!!

COngrats to Ravenwood they are a great team and awesome job.

Region 7 really flexed there muscle at this tournament. I noticed on another post that region 7 gonna be weak this season. I dont think so.

Roberts was DQ for throwing punches after a unsportsman like call I guess he couldn't handle being beat by ravenwoods 171 Greco and then stormed of gym like a middle schooler i think he should of been banned from the rest of the tournament he was clearly being manhandled by the RW wrestler

Roberts was DQ for throwing punches after a unsportsman like call I guess he couldn't handle being beat by ravenwoods 171 Greco and then stormed of gym like a middle schooler i think he should of been banned from the rest of the tournament he was clearly being manhandled by the RW wrestler

There was never any punches thrown. Roberts never left gym he sat on bench and watched the rest of the dual. Get your facts straight. I am not gonna tarnish this great day of wrestling with any more of this banter. Ravenwood did great job. Clarksville ran a great tournament. Great day of wrestling.

there is a difference between throuwing punchs and a club there were no punches thrown get your facts straight and stop being ignorant

I seriously doubt it happened like that. No one said anything of the sort at the tournament. My son had some very physical matches with Roberts this summer with nothing resembling punches. Roberts has always handled himself without losing his cool. There is a big difference between being physical and flagrant misconduct. Don’t get on a board and sully a young man’s name unless you saw it with your own eyes. Although if you did I’d think you may need glasses.

• Upvote 1