Tri-County Seven

coachh17

The weather wrecked havoc with last week's schedules. There are several big games this week and then we head into the Christmas Tournaments. Only one slight change this week:

1. Elizabethton(7-0)-Beat East by 46 and Happy Valley by 55, Big test at Greeneville Tuesday, Nice article on the four seniors in Sunday's J.C. Press

2. Unicoi Co.(7-0)-At Morristown West on Tuesday, Edwards really establishing herself now

3. Cloudland(7-2)-Tough 50-49 loss to Avery County, Tough games against S. Greene and Chuckey-Doak this week, I am still not sure how good this team is

4. Hampton(4-4)-Host Happy Valley Tuesday and I think the Dogs will win

5. Happy Valley(4-3)-Somebody update their schedule please, Crunched by Betsy, Rival Hampton up Tuesday

6. Unaka(3-6)- At least two games missing on coacht schedule, at Johnson Co. Tuesday, I do not think the TSSAA declared Colbaugh eligible so the Lady Rangers have to wait a year

7. Johnson County(0-7)- Not all games updated, It will be a long cold winter for the Lady Horns.

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the weather did indeed mess up schedules. We did not get to play Unicoi County, unfortunately. That will be a good game. Cloudland had a really good schedule lined up, with several tough teams to play before the Christmas break. That isn't working out too well. Don't know what you flatlanders have, but we have another maybe 5" of global warming so far today. As I recall, if Greene County schools are out, they are not allowed to have a game, so the South Greene game may or may not be played on Monday. Dang.

Anyway, we pounded Johnson County, good production from underclassmen, balanced scoring, but basically a scrimmage. Coach Whitt and I met, I like the guy, and I think he is instilling some pride, fundamentals, and direction to their team. Before too long, they may be a team to contend with.

The Avery County game was very ugly, as I had predicted. Tough loss in OT. I was told by a media member keeping stats that we were whistled 33 times for traveling! Not sure I've ever seen that many calls!

Oh well. We needed a close game, and losing a non-conference game isn't the end of the world.

Well, the weather did indeed mess up schedules. We did not get to play Unicoi County, unfortunately. That will be a good game. Cloudland had a really good schedule lined up, with several tough teams to play before the Christmas break. That isn't working out too well. Don't know what you flatlanders have, but we have another maybe 5" of global warming so far today. As I recall, if Greene County schools are out, they are not allowed to have a game, so the South Greene game may or may not be played on Monday. Dang.

Anyway, we pounded Johnson County, good production from underclassmen, balanced scoring, but basically a scrimmage. Coach Whitt and I met, I like the guy, and I think he is instilling some pride, fundamentals, and direction to their team. Before too long, they may be a team to contend with.

The Avery County game was very ugly, as I had predicted. Tough loss in OT. I was told by a media member keeping stats that we were whistled 33 times for traveling! Not sure I've ever seen that many calls!

Oh well. We needed a close game, and losing a non-conference game isn't the end of the world.

As far as the traveling calls; we did not get the calls we get at home. Seldom do the refs call the shuffle before the dribble. The refs in nc evidently do. just need to learn to dribble before we move our feet.

Doodle - No problem, we'll just run the Cyclone Snow Shuttle and make sure everyone makes practice. LOL. It's obvious you're not only a Cyclone hater, but misinformed to boot. Furthermore, your gloomy forecast for the Lady Cyclones sounds more like sour grapes and/or wishful thinking on your part...take another sip of the Kool-Aid.

Edited by etownsparky

I agree coachh that Eliz does have a big test with Greeneville but I am looking at it from a different angle. Greeneville has already lost 2 games to AA teams with one of them a 72-38 defeat at the hands of LA. Neither Greeneville or SG is the team that they have been so EHS is a BIG favorite over both. Sometimes it is different being the "hunted" rather than the "hunter". With lots of talent/publicity comes lots of expectations. Should be interesting to see how all this plays out.

I agree coachh that Eliz does have a big test with Greeneville but I am looking at it from a different angle. Greeneville has already lost 2 games to AA teams with one of them a 72-38 defeat at the hands of LA. Neither Greeneville or SG is the team that they have been so EHS is a BIG favorite over both. Sometimes it is different being the "hunted" rather than the "hunter". With lots of talent/publicity comes lots of expectations. Should be interesting to see how all this plays out.

I agree that it will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out. Greeneville's two losses are to South Greene and Livingston Academy. LA is arguably one of the best AA teams in the state and S. Greene could be a state tournament team. Greeneville has historically had the Kryptonite to offset Betsy's quickness and outside shooting skills. They are tall and strong, play solid defense, and try to force an inside oriented half-court game. Tomorrow's game will likely be postponed. I am not sure either team wants to show all their cards, as they may meet with much more on the line in the regional tournament. In my opinion, Elizabethton has to speed the game up and get it in the 60's or 70's to win. If Greeneville dictates tempo and keeps it in the 40's, they have the advantage. Elizabethton and South Greene are pretty similar in style. Hick's size gives South Greene an advantage inside and the Cyclones may have a slight edge on the perimeter. When these two teams play it is usually a battle of wills and very physical. Betsy might be favored over both due to all the hype and publicity, but in my opinion, either of them is quite capable of beating Elizabethton. If everyone stays healthy, we should have a great Region Tournament in a couple of months. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

I assume you mean Elizabethton and Carter County. I do not know all this for absolute sure, but will give it my best shot. Anyone that knows otherwise, feel free to correct me.

1.Elizabethton- Any student that lives inside the city limits can attend the city schools tuition free. I paid tuition to send my daughters to Elizabethton. It was $300 when we were in Carter County and $1,000 when we briefly lived in Washington County. There are a few tuition free zones in the county (Keenburg, Watauga, and maybe Valley Forge areas) where students can come to Elizabethton because it is closer to their homes than Unaka, Hampton, or Happy Valley.

2.Carter County Schools- I believe that they are open zoned, meaning that you can go where ever you want to go. Obviously, most people choose the school closest to them. However, in areas where the distance is about the same or if there is another personal reason to attend another school(like a parent teaches there) people might choose a school farther away. There are some anomalies in the Butler area on the Johnson County line and maybe some on the N.C. line near Roan Mountain( I am not exactly sure how those political agreements between counties and states work, usually based on bus routes, or even if they still exist). I also know that there are students in the western half of Carter County in the Happy Valley/Martindale/Pinecrest area that have been annexed by Johnson City. I assume they have the option to go to Science Hill or Happy Valley, but I do not know this for certain. Here is a quick rundown of what I know about the county schools:

Cloudland- Primarily serves students from Roan Mountain, Buck Mountain, Shell Creek, Ripshin, Burbank, and Upper Tiger Creek. Closest to Hampton and students sometimes choose one school or the other or go back and forth from time to time.

Hampton- Serves Hampton, Valley Forge, Upper Gap Creek, Lower Tiger Creek, Fish Springs, Rittertown, Dog Town, Poga, Little Milligan, Siam, and Butler. Shares borders with Happy Valley, Unaka, Cloudland, and Johnson County High. Students in fringe areas just make a choice. Unsure what the rules are for students that live in Butler/Johnson County that come to Hampton or vice versa.

Happy Valley- Wedged between Johnson City and Elizabethton. Serves Happy Valley, Martindale, Pinecrest, Milligan, Central, Range, Watauga, Powder Branch, and Lower Gap Creek. Zone borders Washington County, Unicoi County, and the Johnson City City limits. Closest to Hampton and Unaka and there are some areas where the distances are about the same and I assume students choose where to go.

Unaka- Serves the Stoney Creek area from Lynn Valley all the way to the Cherokee National Forest on the Johnson County line. Areas include Hunter, Eastern Keenburg, Midway, Buladeen, Blue Springs, Eastern Siam, Possum Hollow, Peters Hollow, Danner, and Unaka. Hunter and Lynn Valley students frequently come to the city schools. Fringe border areas exist with Hampton and Happy Valley.

That is about all I think I know. Feel free to make additions or corrections.

Edited by coachh17

As usual coachh you are pretty much spot on. I got to watch 2 of the Tri-County 7 teams tonite at Hampton. Happy Valley beat Rockwood 66-36 and Hampton beat Harriman 56-23...BOTH games could have been worse if the coaches had wanted to do that but to their credit they did not. Happy Valley played hard and frustrated Rockwood with their presses while Hampton did the same to Harriman, who had 2 post players in the 6'1-6'2 range. Seems Hampton has gone back to what they do best and their halfcourt defense kept Harriman from getting into their high/low post game. Not bad for a 2 week lay-off but I knew that CLT was putting their practice time to good use. The teams swap opponents on Saturday with Happy Valley playing Harriman and Hampton taking on Rockwood.