Memphis Central at Tournament of Champions

MTOWN21

Really not. nor do I have a problem with MC or anyone else going out of State but under the auspices of trying to contend for a mythical national championship is pushing it a little. If any of these schools had taken the position of establishing themselves in-state before having someone self proclaim their right to a position that goes out a little far. In MC's defense, they did come to Riverdale pre season and they will be in the Boro 1-22-11. If MD is correct in his conversation with whoever started those rankings, it is again being misrepresented. Some of these events are for exposure. The players are for real, I'm sure. But so are some of the other great players in this state also. You don't see them proclaiming anything for the betterment of their player or players. This likely cannot be settled until like it was last year at State. But maybe not then. The records are the records and who they have played are the same. Wilson and Mt Juliet alsong with Riverdale and Clarksville along with Jackson County, Tennessee and

Science Hill and numerous other schools will just wait around to see what will happen. MC is a great school but so are others.

im from science hill and our girls are going to fla the 27 im glad we finelly got a coach to take them i think its great for the kids and the program

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing OOS games is absolutely the way to go. If you don't care about a little national exposure then stay in-state. Personally, I'm happy to see teams travel and play new teams in new places. I think it is a great experience for the young kids.

It appears MC was slightly overrated. They got rocked at the Nike TOC.

In addition to the 3 aforementioned games they also got beat by Monarch and St. Mary's. It looks like a 1-4 showing. There won't be any national rankings for them this year.

Really not. nor do I have a problem with MC or anyone else going out of State but under the auspices of trying to contend for a mythical national championship is pushing it a little. If any of these schools had taken the position of establishing themselves in-state before having someone self proclaim their right to a position that goes out a little far. In MC's defense, they did come to Riverdale pre season and they will be in the Boro 1-22-11. If MD is correct in his conversation with whoever started those rankings, it is again being misrepresented. Some of these events are for exposure. The players are for real, I'm sure. But so are some of the other great players in this state also. You don't see them proclaiming anything for the betterment of their player or players. This likely cannot be settled until like it was last year at State. But maybe not then. The records are the records and who they have played are the same. Wilson and Mt Juliet alsong with Riverdale and Clarksville along with Jackson County, Tennessee and

Science Hill and numerous other schools will just wait around to see what will happen. MC is a great school but so are others.

Do you not understand that, the so called National exposure is GOOD FOR THE STATE OF TENNESSEE if a team from here does well. Speaking of High School National Championships.....remember the Rick Insell's teams at Shelbyville.

Hold up....wait a minute, I really shouldn't even reply to the nonsense you write. You have been beating that drum for sometime. So I'm thru replying to ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY.

Sad, Sad, Sad :excl:

Mtown, will you check out my post earlier in this topic and reply back about Ballard and Whiteside?

Also guys, just ignore this crap that PHargis is posting. If you know basketball, you know what he's posting is all garbage. PHargis, you're making yourself look dumb man. No offense.

Memphis Central needs to keep doing what they do and that is represent the state of Tennessee and continue to produce D1 talent. Keep it up!

Everyone posting on this topic seems to imply that traveling to these high profile tournaments is for exposure.My thoughts run more toward elevating the level of competition for teaching purposes.Do you believe that Pat Summitt scedules Baylor,Texas,UConn,Stanford....for exposure?I guarantee that Memphis Central is a better basketball team for having played against national level competition than if they had stayed in state and beat the socks off a bunch of inferior teams.Would you rather go 23-0 and go into region play with a group that really did not know if they'd be competitive against x-team or 18-5 with a bunch of kids that knew in their hearts that if they played well that they could whip anyone,anywhere,anytime?I'll tip my hat to M.C. for having the courage to challenge themselves to find out just where they stand,they had their national ranking,they could have played it safe,sceduled some cupcakes,and said "fluke" if someone beat them.

Good luck to memphis central. Mtown, what kind of looks is ballard and whiteside getting from colleges? Major, midmajor, naia? I only saw them play twice and that was last year in the state tournaments. I know they're getting exposure from all over the country playing in these tournaments which is good for them. I've also heard that coach bray has connections all over to get her kids into the best college possible for them. She's got a great program going at central.

Danielle has been on the radar for College Coaches sense the 8th grade. Her AAU / Travel team put her on the map long before Central did. She has offers from nearly every team out there, except UCONN and TENN. But nearly every conference(East to West--North to South) is represented by several of their teams making offers to her. Alliyah is pretty much in the same boat, but Danielle is a bit more higher profile.

Danielle is recognized by several as being a top ten ranked player. She was 1 of 32 players to get invited to tryout for the USA U16 team this past summer(B.Graves made the team for a second time...SHE IS AWESOME). That should put into context where Danielle stands.

Danielle and Alliyah are pretty much in the air, as of right now, about picking a school. Both will go major DI without a doubt.

You guys are just continuing to talk past the subject. There is not nor will there be any contention to the skills of Ballard. Enough people have seen her and made comments on her, for anyone to say shes not, is not perceptive. To post about her is exposure, she needs none. And it continues to go on and on. The subject is the team MC. What you are saying is Memphis Central is the best in the State and l;ets just GIVE IT TO THEM. Just forget about the rest in the STATE, they really don't have to play anyone else. JUST GIVE IT TO THEM. And really get real, compared to Shelbyville???? Look at there record and see if they dodged everyone in the State and see if they had their promoters singing their praise before they played anyone in the State. Nope, their pub came after a few years of great records and admittedly come after they did travel up east for a few tournaments. They emphasized the team. For some reason I never heard exposure nor rankiings, but if it makes you happy, we have a team in the State who's record is 6-3 who is the best in the State of Tennessee and ranked 6th best of High Schools in the nation by some of their own national peers. Or does it sound better to admit that the State has a school whoh has some of the top recruited players in the nation. While their record is 6-3, they are expected to be one of the best teams in the State. You are right, this is my last thoughts on this also until you play some schools we have heard of and you have a better record. Right now we can't tell if its been any help.

LOL, PHargis, you sound ridiculous bud.

Actually this is one of his better posts. Other than a runner-up in 09 and a championship in 1922, this is not a super power like Shelbyville was. Then going 1-3 in a nationally known tournament isn't the best exposure for any team. Is it a great oppurtunity, well yea and hope they enjoyed. Certainly they will not forget it but a good measuring stick on how they stack up vs. TN teams will be Jan 22 now that a national championship is out of the picture.

Well, considering their two best players are Juniors, expect to see Memphis Central continue to go to these nat'l tournaments and continue to battle. They didn't do so well at the tournament in Arizona, but did extremely well in Hawaii. You guys fail to look at that part. I've never compared Memphis Central to Shelbyville. Shelbyville was a nat'l powerhouse for years and Memphis Central is a long ways from there. If Central wins state this year, what will you guys have to say for next year when they travel to the nat'l tournaments with this extremely talented team they have? PHargis has been bashing this 1 topic since last year and he sounds ignorant everytime he post about it. I promise you if Gibson Co. would've had the team they've had the past 2 years, this year.... I would beg for them to play in some nat'l tournaments. Whether we do well or not would be a different story, but it'd be a good measuring stick.