Best in 4A 2011

realmenwearred

right now you are still a 2A school. Greeneville beat 6A Jefferson County (who finished 5-5) It doesn't make us a 6A powerhouse. Chattanooga area is full of 3A and 4A scrubs. Thump your chest when you have a quality win in 4A...

I'm not thumping my chest I responded to what you said which was "Big talk from a team who hasn't played it's first 4A game yet". I thought I should set the record straight and let you know we have played 4A games and did quiet well. I didn't and won't speak to the quality of an opponent as you never know what your going to get when you schedule two years in advance. :thumb:

I will thump my chest about getting a Gold Ball in our second year of varsity football. :roflolk:

Also Barb, I think you said a couple of months ago that we wouldn't be a preseason top 5 team in 4A. Do you still feel that way? I've already seen one poll that has us ranked 2nd behind Greenevile.

I'm not thumping my chest I responded to what you said which was "Big talk from a team who hasn't played it's first 4A game yet". I thought I should set the record straight and let you know we have played 4A games and did quiet well. I didn't and won't speak to the quality of an opponent as you never know what your going to get when you schedule two years in advance. :thumb:

I will thump my chest about getting a Gold Ball in our second year of varsity football. :roflolk:

Also Barb, I think you said a couple of months ago that we wouldn't be a preseason top 5 team in 4A. Do you still feel that way? I've already seen one poll that has us ranked 2nd behind Greenevile.

There are quality programs that field tough teams every year...most coaches can and do know the quality of opponent they are gonna get in advance. Thats why SM is moving to 4A. We had schools (5A and 6A) that we played for years when we played up in 4A (back when Greeneville was a 3A classed school)that decided not to play Greeneville next year and I guarantee if you asked the coaches from Tennessee High, Sullivan South and Jefferson County, they would tell you that when you put the Greene Devils on the schedule, you know exactly what you're gonna get. In the last decade, Greeneville has been to the state finals twice,semifinals twice, and the quarterfinals three times. (under 3 different coaches)

Frankly, I'm surprised the pollsters have been so kind to SM. OK maybe not...everyone knew yall were just kicking puppies down there in 2A. And before you respond to that, remember that we in Greeneville have been fed that crap since we were placed in 4A 2 years ago....yes, we moved from 4A to 4A and everyone said we were playing down. We can commiserate but in the end, we all have to prove we belong.

I'm sure by the time Alcoa and Blackman roll around we will all have a pretty good idea where we stand

I watched SM play last year, and I actually turned to a person next to me and said “that is a really good football team, I don’t care what division they’re inâ€. So, I respect your program and understand that your guys will be a threat in 4A. I just ask that you pay Greeneville the same respect because I’m certain they’ve earned it. Good luck to both teams, and hopefully they will meet in the playoffs.

I watched SM play last year, and I actually turned to a person next to me and said “that is a really good football team, I don’t care what division they’re inâ€. So, I respect your program and understand that your guys will be a threat in 4A. I just ask that you pay Greeneville the same respect because I’m certain they’ve earned it. Good luck to both teams, and hopefully they will meet in the playoffs.

I think Greeneville is a great team/program. I put you in the same ilk as Alcoa, South Pitt and Maryville all quality programs.

I think Greeneville is a great team/program. I put you in the same ilk as Alcoa, South Pitt and Maryville all quality programs.

Oh geez now you've done it....better hope those Blount County folks don't read this. They'll be the first to remind you that Alcoa and Maryville are just a bit better than "quality programs".

Thanks. Certain teams just have that “look†about them, and I thought SM was one of them last year. I don’t claim to be an expert regarding football, but I have been around a lot of great programs in different sports. The teams that operate in a professional manner are the teams that get the job done. Greeneville has done this since the coaching change 4-5 years ago, and I get the impression that SM operates in a similar manner (well coached, hard working, and talented). I think that is what separated Maryville for so long, they were the first football team that I personally saw around this area that had “the look†of a great program. To me, the look is more about having the proper mentality (to go along with talent).

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Certain teams just have that “look†about them, and I thought SM was one of them last year. I don’t claim to be an expert regarding football, but I have been around a lot of great programs in different sports. The teams that operate in a professional manner are the teams that get the job done. Greeneville has done this since the coaching change 4-5 years ago, and I get the impression that SM operates in a similar manner (well coached, hard working, and talented). I think that is what separated Maryville for so long, they were the first football team that I personally saw around this area that had “the look†of a great program. To me, the look is more about having the proper mentality (to go along with talent).

2sgn082goodpost.gif