Tuck in that jersey

Indian

Your post is right on the money. If players are to learn from the sport this is one life lesson that goes far

into life. Disrespct your employer/supervisor and the consequences are worst than 8 techs.

Tuck in your shirt and keep it tucked in!!!You want to show disrespect to the REF ( and the Game and the Players and the Fans in attendence)and then whine about all the "Ts"?First the shirt is untucked and then the shorts ride down and then we all get to see your boxers!!! I for one ,dont want to see peoples underwear.Imagine your mom or sister with her underwear showing.....Is that ok?How about I go up to your mom or sister and pull her shorts down just a little bit???You see how disrespectful that sounds?????Get a clue some of you, if we allow it to start , are we then going to be surprised at how far it can go?Tuck in your shirt or go play/coach something else!!!!

Tuck in your shirt and keep it tucked in!!!You want to show disrespect to the REF ( and the Game and the Players and the Fans in attendence)and then whine about all the "Ts"?First the shirt is untucked and then the shorts ride down and then we all get to see your boxers!!! I for one ,dont want to see peoples underwear.Imagine your mom or sister with her underwear showing.....Is that ok?How about I go up to your mom or sister and pull her shorts down just a little bit???You see how disrespectful that sounds?????Get a clue some of you, if we allow it to start , are we then going to be surprised at how far it can go?Tuck in your shirt or go play/coach something else!!!!

im not sure how the rule reads but i believe it says "shirts must be tucked in for any player participating in the said game" because i have seen players forced to be taken out of the game for shirt being untucked..which is proper enforcement of the rule ...return to the bench until your shirt is tucked in.....however....once a player is ejected or fouls out of a game he is disqualified from participating...so if he is no longer participating in the game the shirt being tucked in is a mute point...now i know someone on here will tie this arguement into a violent act a player might commit after being ejected....but that doesnt fit this rule violence at any time before during or after the game is dealt with in a different part of the rule book..no where does it say a player must have his shirt tucked in before or after the game that is handled by coach or school...so most of your rebuttles will be handled under those guidelines...so let the arguements comense disprove this interpitation of the "tuck" rule....lol

im not sure how the rule reads but i believe it says "shirts must be tucked in for any player participating in the said game" because i have seen players forced to be taken out of the game for shirt being untucked..which is proper enforcement of the rule ...return to the bench until your shirt is tucked in.....however....once a player is ejected or fouls out of a game he is disqualified from participating...so if he is no longer participating in the game the shirt being tucked in is a mute point...now i know someone on here will tie this arguement into a violent act a player might commit after being ejected....but that doesnt fit this rule violence at any time before during or after the game is dealt with in a different part of the rule book..no where does it say a player must have his shirt tucked in before or after the game that is handled by coach or school...so most of your rebuttles will be handled under those guidelines...so let the arguements comense disprove this interpitation of the "tuck" rule....lol

I wasn't there and only read the article, but here's my take. His night is not over at the point of the 5th foul. His replacement has to be summoned onto the floor and he has to take his seat on the bench. Until all of that happens, he is part of the game. From the article, it sounds as if the player was still on the court but was walking towards his bench (again, I wasn't there). I had a conversation last Thursday with a Supervising Ref about a very similar situation that occurred in one of our games. IF the player that is disqualified with 5 fouls, leaves the bench to go to the locker room, it is another technical applied to the coach. So, being "disqualified" from playing has no bearing on whether a player can receive additional techs for himself, his coach and his team.

The problem is that the player was showing disrespect to the official. When the official told him to tuck his shirt in, words were exchanged and then the techs started flying.

The thing is, at this year's Rules Meetings, TSSAA told all of the coaches that acts such as this were "Points of Emphasis" this year. So the coach should have expected this call and should have prepared his players for what would happen if they chose to show disrespect.

The rule has been upgraded this year...You have to keep your shirt tucked in as long as you are on the court...If you foul out, you must keep your shirt tucked in until you are completely off the court...If you yank your shirt out as you are walking off the court it is supposed to be an immediate technical...Sounds to me like the ref let him off the hook by telling him to tuck his shirt back in, and he made a poor decision to argue...Then that snowballed into 10 free throws.. Rules are rules...They aren't just rules when they benefit you...You don't just follow rules when they are convenient...If you try to live life that way you are selfish and have no discipline...Sorry, but I side with the officials completely on this one.

The rule has been upgraded this year...You have to keep your shirt tucked in as long as you are on the court...If you foul out, you must keep your shirt tucked in until you are completely off the court...If you yank your shirt out as you are walking off the court it is supposed to be an immediate technical...Sounds to me like the ref let him off the hook by telling him to tuck his shirt back in, and he made a poor decision to argue...Then that snowballed into 10 free throws.. Rules are rules...They aren't just rules when they benefit you...You don't just follow rules when they are convenient...If you try to live life that way you are selfish and have no discipline...Sorry, but I side with the officials completely on this one.

Having your shirt tucked in is a rule, but i've seen many times a player untuck their shirt and never get called for a "T". Whens the last time you seen a girl get a "T" for untucking her jersey???? And i have witnessed several girls get 5 fouls untuck their shirts as they were walking to the bench and never a word said, so refs have a double standard. If they like the coach, he will get favorable calls if they don't like the coach or a player then look out and this happens often, not just in the upper cumberland. Where is the rule that says what a foul is? In the handbook, but its up to the ref to call it. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. They have so much power while on the floor but accept ZERO responsibility for their actions! If they don't like a player they won't call fouls that occur against him, therefore being a young man he will get frustrated as we all know right from wrong. So then it leads to ref's calling touch fouls against him, even more frustrating considering he just got the crap knocekd out of him on the other end but no foul is called. So this then leads to more frustration and an eventual "T" and the lack of respect shown to the ref because he is the one that is the problem to start with. Had he called it fair none of this would ever have happened in my opinion. Fair is all anyone asks but its seldom given when you're the visiting team for the most part. I'm not condoning this kids actions but for the coach to react in such a way tells me there is more to the story than just a shirt being untucked here. The ref needs to earn respect just like the players do. Its not given its earned and just because he has the jersey on doesn't make him God Almighty but some refs let it go to their heads and refuse to believe they missed a call. You never see them watching any game film either. where i come from if your work is bad you will eventualy get fired and i guarantee you i've been to games where the whole crew should never be allowed on the court again! but i've also been to several games where the crew does a great job so i'm not here bashing all officials just the ones that are not very good at what they do.

I'm no fan of untucked jerseys, sagging shorts or otherwise bringing attention to yourself, but I think 10 free throws in this instance is excessive. Refs also bait kids into getting their technicals. Who are the adults here? It's been common practice to untuck your jersey if you've fouled out as you leave the floor. If you're going to call a technical on this technicality, then it should be for 2 free throws and the ball. That's the punishment. Layering punishment after this fact can be avoided. Ref takes the irate coach out on the floor and calmly explains why he is doing what he is doing. If it's a rule, fine. Two free throws and the ball. Even if the coach gets 2 for excessive arguing, we're up to 4 free throws and the ball. Calling another one on the bench is 6 free throws at which point I contend that the refs lost control of the game a long time ago. Even then, counting the 2 shots for the initial foul, we're only up to 8 free throws (which is 4 too many in a well officiated game). Where did 9 and 10 come from?

My opinion is that excessive technical fouls are usually a reflection on the officiating as much as the team(s) that are receiving them. Seems like a power play to me on the outside looking in.

Last night at the Greenfield/McKenzie game, a McKenzie player fouled out and immediately untucked his jersey. His coach did not hesitate to make his player tuck his jersey back in. The coach was very animated telling his player to get that jersey tucked back in. Wonder why? People need to stop complaining every time something happens against a player of a team they root for. Most of the time the refs are right guys.

Last night at the Greenfield/McKenzie game, a McKenzie player fouled out and immediately untucked his jersey. His coach did not hesitate to make his player tuck his jersey back in. The coach was very animated telling his player to get that jersey tucked back in. Wonder why? People need to stop complaining every time something happens against a player of a team they root for. Most of the time the refs are right guys.

10 free throws is excessive. Eject the player, eject the coach if he gets out of hand. Don't punish the other 4 guys on the floor who are competing within the rules. I don't know this team from Adam's. I think perspective is lacking alot of the time when these sort of penalties are imposed and it's usually about ego and power trips. It is about high school kids. The adults need to get over themselves. If the kid is acting like a punk, treat him like a punk and send him packing. Don't punish everybody else with one fell swoop.

10 free throws is excessive. Eject the player, eject the coach if he gets out of hand. Don't punish the other 4 guys on the floor who are competing within the rules. I don't know this team from Adam's. I think perspective is lacking alot of the time when these sort of penalties are imposed and it's usually about ego and power trips. It is about high school kids. The adults need to get over themselves. If the kid is acting like a punk, treat him like a punk and send him packing. Don't punish everybody else with one fell swoop.

The attitude of a player will determine a judgement call many times and this is wrong but in saying that a player worth his salt knows this and should refrain from being cocky. And I've seen more officials staring down players this year daring them to react because they want to call a T or toss a player, and a lot of refs have a bad attitude toward certain players and coaches. Sometimes its so obvious.

Refs can't access how many FT come with a penalty.

Players fouls 2 FT's

Player get a T 2 FT's

Coach gets a T 2 FT's

Bench gets a T 2 FT's

Not sure where 10 FT's comes in but refs make calls all calls have a set penalty. Refs can't just say, "That's 10 FT for X team."

As far a punishing the other guys on the floor for what one player did... Remember everyone wins together and loses together. The player that untucked his jersey should have kept his teammates in mind when he wanted to show his butt.

I'm not siding with the refs but this whole thing really is about playing the game of basketball. Refs are part of the game always has been and always will be. Gotta learn to play with the bad ones and be thankful for the good ones.

We're cutting off our nose to spite our face. The ref is T'ing up everybody in sight because he's just a jerk or has completely lost control of the game. Either way, officials can manage the game and keep control of the game such that 10 consecutive free throws don't occur. It's not rocket science. The ref is the adult here. If the kid untucks his jersey and then gives him some lip, toss his butt. Coach ain't going down that road too far because there's a fine and a suspension that comes with it. Now you're probably at 4 free throws, the trouble maker is in the parking lot and the other guys are continuing on with the game. Cut off the head and the rest don't rattle long. Everyone's not winning and losing together, the referee is manipulating the outcome of the game. The best officials are those that seem to blend into the background. You hardly know they're calling the game because they don't bring undue attention to themselves and they conduct themselves in a manner that is not intrusive to the game.

The same applies to all of these new rules for taunting, celebrating and untucking. I'm sure there's a rule that already covers bringing the wrong kind of attention to yourself. Enforce those consistently and there's no need for new rules.

Edited by ksgovols

According to the article, the reason why so many free throws were taken was because of the attitude of the entire team. The kid in question mouthed off. The coach mouthed off. Then the bench went off. If there is no one on the team that is going to get the players under control then it is left up to the officials.