District 3AAA Discussion

PhatCat

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is any question that Hagan will be in the lineup somewhere. He has too good of a stick to keep him out. Question is....how good of an outfielder is he? I think he will do fine out there because he is very athletic with speed and a good arm......and I know Jeff is not afraid to play a freshman because Powell's last district championship team started two of them in Skeen and D.Owenby.....so I'm guessing that him being a freshman will not even figure in.

How about some people from other teams, not yet mentioned, getting on here and giving a little scouting report? :rolleyes:

Spoon,

You are right on target. Having played with/against baby owenby for a few years, the scouting report on him is "don't throw him a fastball for a strike - especially a mediocre fastball". And yes, he can play outfield. If they have a better 3rd baseman at Powell, he must be a beast too! Even though Hag hasn't played 3rd much because of his athletism, I think he would be great there - IMO.

Spoon,

You are right on target. Having played with/against baby owenby for a few years, the scouting report on him is "don't throw him a fastball for a strike - especially a mediocre fastball". And yes, he can play outfield. If they have a better 3rd baseman at Powell, he must be a beast too! Even though Hag hasn't played 3rd much because of his athletism, I think he would be great there - IMO.

My guess is that between Latham, Skeen, and Ledbetter, they have 3rd base pretty well covered, but you never know. I do know that there is a HUGE need in the outfield this year. Powell has a ton of infielders coming back and he might have a difficult time breaking into a starting position there. I would say that it will probably be just a one year thing for him in the outfield though.

BTW...I remember another freshman at Powell 2 years ago, and everybody thought they could throw fastballs by him at first. I think he hit about 5 homeruns in the first 10 games, then he saw nothing but off-speed.

Let's just hope Hagan gets some of those fastballs you were talking about. :lol:

My guess is that between Latham, Skeen, and Ledbetter, they have 3rd base pretty well covered, but you never know. I do know that there is a HUGE need in the outfield this year. Powell has a ton of infielders coming back and he might have a difficult time breaking into a starting position there. I would say that it will probably be just a one year thing for him in the outfield though.

BTW...I remember another freshman at Powell 2 years ago, and everybody thought they could throw fastballs by him at first. I think he hit about 5 homeruns in the first 10 games, then he saw nothing but off-speed.

Let's just hope Hagan gets some of those fastballs you were talking about. :lol:

the question is between Latham, Skeen and Ledbetter, which one will be at third base? and where will the other two end up? they need those three sticks in the lineup at all times to produce runs and most of the teams power hitting

the question is between Latham, Skeen and Ledbetter, which one will be at third base? and where will the other two end up? they need those three sticks in the lineup at all times to produce runs and most of the teams power hitting

Skeen will be in the line-up every day either as a pitcher, third baseman or DH. His bat is too powerful to sit. Not sure about the other two.

Skeen will be in the line-up every day either as a pitcher, third baseman or DH. His bat is too powerful to sit. Not sure about the other two.

I think that BaseballFreak is correct in saying that all 3 of these bats will need to be in the lineup somewhere.

Don't forget Latham and Skeen also play 1B.

I would guess that between 3B, 1B, P and DH, all of these guys will be in the starting lineup somewhere.

Lets discuss pitching. Behind Owenby and Ledbetter, who will they have to come in and relieve or take the starter role if needed?

Here are some other guys that will take the mound this season for Powell:

Austin Smith

Tyler Alford

Jeremy Latham

Colby Skeen

Jordan Sanford

Hagan Owenby

Taylor Braden

Kyle Tracey

Dalton Long

There may be a few more that I am leaving out.

Just to try and switch gears from the 'Powell fest' that this board has turned into, I'll give me take on the district.

Pretty simple - this district can be easially divided into 3 groups:

Top Tier

1) A.C. - 2 lefties will set them apart

2) Powell - will be able to pitch with most teams and out hit just about all

3) Halls - is Halls and they'll be able to swing it

Mediocre

4) Oak Ridge - Strong soph class but that's all they have. They'll get more than they should out of what they have

5) Hardin Valley - keeps getting better and won't be surprised if they move to the top third in years to come

6) Karns - lost more than they could replace

Cellar

7) Central - Loses too many talented players to Powell and Halls. Lovett will right the ship

8) Clinton - Good coach, no talent

9) C.C. - *same as Clinton. Losing Williams to AC is a killer

That should give everyone something to talk about. I don't mean to offend anyone so don't take it that way, just my opinion on things.

Just to try and switch gears from the 'Powell fest' that this board has turned into, I'll give me take on the district.

Pretty simple - this district can be easially divided into 3 groups:

Top Tier

1) A.C. - 2 lefties will set them apart

2) Powell - will be able to pitch with most teams and out hit just about all

3) Halls - is Halls and they'll be able to swing it

Mediocre

4) Oak Ridge - Strong soph class but that's all they have. They'll get more than they should out of what they have

5) Hardin Valley - keeps getting better and won't be surprised if they move to the top third in years to come

6) Karns - lost more than they could replace

Cellar

7) Central - Loses too many talented players to Powell and Halls. Lovett will right the ship

8) Clinton - Good coach, no talent

9) C.C. - *same as Clinton. Losing Williams to AC is a killer

That should give everyone something to talk about. I don't mean to offend anyone so don't take it that way, just my opinion on things.

POWELL FEST! :roflol: That's a classic!

I am glad another person (not from Powell) finally stepped up and gave their opinion too.

IT'S ABOUT TIME! Where ya been? Sittin there reading the Powell fest?

On 2 separate posts TSpoon asked folks from other teams to get on here and talk about their teams.

Why did it take you so long? Just kidding. So are ya picking AC to win it? I look for them to be strong.

Someone tell me who some of the A.C. players are, besides Roberts, Williams, and Durand. :popcorneater:

POWELL FEST! :roflol: That's a classic!

I am glad another person (not from Powell) finally stepped up and gave their opinion too.

IT'S ABOUT TIME! Where ya been? Sittin there reading the Powell fest?

On 2 separate posts TSpoon asked folks from other teams to get on here and talk about their teams.

Why did it take you so long? Just kidding. So are ya picking AC to win it? I look for them to be strong.

Someone tell me who some of the A.C. players are, besides Roberts, Williams, and Durand. :popcorneater:

Hahaha there's only sooo much "Powell is awesome" talk I can take before I can't take it anymore! :lol: I keed.

But seriously, It should be a toss up between AC and Powell and I just subscribe to the old adage that good pitching beats good hitting. However, if Inman plays his rotation right, it's hard to bet against Ownby in a elimination game. I saw him go pitch for pitch against Phifer and looked just as good. Problem was that was all Powell had to throw.

I don't know who else AC has besides those big 3, but how much more do they need? Any word on what schools Williams is looking at?

We all know the favorites - AC Powell and Halls. Who's the sleeper? There's always one in this district.

Edited by DiamondDad

Hahaha there's only sooo much "Powell is awesome" talk I can take before I can't take it anymore! :lol: I keed.

But seriously, It should be a toss up between AC and Powell and I just subscribe to the old adage that good pitching beats good hitting. However, if Inman plays his rotation right, it's hard to bet against Ownby in a elimination game. I saw him go pitch for pitch against Phifer and looked just as good. Problem was that was all Powell had to throw.

I don't know who else AC has besides those big 3, but how much more do they need? Any word on what schools Williams is looking at?

We all know the favorites - AC Powell and Halls. Who's the sleeper? There's always one in this district.

I really don't think there is a sleeper in this district and I think your breakdown is excellent. The top two AC and Powell are the complete package (or as complete as this district has). Halls is Halls and will win more than they lose just because of that and the way they seem to kill the ball at home. HVA, Oak Ridge and Karns have some decent players but not enough power or pitching (in different combinations) to squeeze out the big 3.