District 3AAA Discussion

PhatCat

I really don't think there is a sleeper in this district and I think your breakdown is excellent. The top two AC and Powell are the complete package (or as complete as this district has). Halls is Halls and will win more than they lose just because of that and the way they seem to kill the ball at home. HVA, Oak Ridge and Karns have some decent players but not enough power or pitching (in different combinations) to squeeze out the big 3.

You may be right but I still have a strong feeling that Hardin Valley will be the sleeper. ^_^

They WILL surprise some teams this year. They returned almost everyone from a team that continued to get better last year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha there's only sooo much "Powell is awesome" talk I can take before I can't take it anymore! :lol: I keed.

But seriously, It should be a toss up between AC and Powell and I just subscribe to the old adage that good pitching beats good hitting. However, if Inman plays his rotation right, it's hard to bet against Ownby in a elimination game. I saw him go pitch for pitch against Phifer and looked just as good. Problem was that was all Powell had to throw.

I don't know who else AC has besides those big 3, but how much more do they need? Any word on what schools Williams is looking at?

We all know the favorites - AC Powell and Halls. Who's the sleeper? There's always one in this district.

I still haven't heard who some of AC's everyday players will be.

The "big 3" can't do it all! :lol:

Somebody who knows, get on here and give some names and positions. :thumb:

Edited by TSpoon

You may be right but I still have a strong feeling that Hardin Valley will be the sleeper. ^_^

They WILL surprise some teams this year. They returned almost everyone from a team that continued to get better last year.

Based on pitching and lack of power HVA will be about .500 in the district. They have arms but not a lot of strikeouts...I think you need some of those in HS to minimize fielding. Just not a lot of "blow you away" velocity like the "top teams" already mentioned have.

• 2 weeks later...

I went back and forth on this prediction because top 2 are really close and #3 has pitching to steal a game but don't see the bats in their lineup.

1)Powell Good 1,2 starting pitching (Owenby,Leadbetter) heavy senior group several good bats transfer of Michael Leadbetter gives Powell a quality 2nd pitcher He has to have a good year or Powell probably finishes #3

1) Gonna be close and co #1 based Knowing how to win. Good 1,2 starting pitching (Barkley,Painter,Beeler) (best 1,2,3 in district) Halls lost 4 seniors but have some players ready to step in that would have started for most schools as freshmen such as Austin Smith and Grant Painter who bring good bats with power. Brice Beeler will have some help and protection in the middle of lineup. Bats 6-9 might end up being difference.

3)Anderson County Good 1,2 starting pitching (Williams, Duran) I like Powell and Halls 1,2 better but face it, all 3 teams have quality starting pitching. The reason I have AC 3 is they lost a lot of offense from last year. I am sure they have some good players coming up but not certain how they will protect Brycen Roberts. He may not see a lot of good pitches.

4) Hardin Valley A really well coached team. They don't have the starting pitching of the top 3 but they are effective. They don't try to do too much at the plate. They often take the ball the other way and do a good job of manufacturing runs. In a nutshell, they play better than their talent.

5) Oak Ridge) I like their aggressive style of ball. They do a good job of hit and run and manufacturing runs. Their pitching isn't the quality of top 3 district, but there is some potential there. Look to be a better team the next 2 years.

6) Karns Nothing special, just better than the bottom 3

7) Central Fianally have a coach that wants to practice and get better. Really short on talent but expect to see them compete better than last year.

8) Clinton

9) CC.

This is some info that came from Anderson County:

"Our top two pitchers are pitching well. We lost a kid, Nate Thomas, who'd be our number three pitcher. Right now it looks like it'll either be Blake Lafferty or Daniel Newman. Mikey Mullins, a transfer from Clinton, is hitting the ball well. He can catch but he'll probably play 3B. Trinity Carroll, a senior who played SS last year might be moved to OF and a true freshman, Hunter Tackett, is getting some serious looks to start at SS, but Carroll might end up staying there and Tackett start in the OF. We'll miss the sticks of Carter Pack (1B) who is at LMU now and Taylor Foster (3B) who is at Vol State. Matthew Walker will start again at catcher. He has signed with Roane State. Bryson Roberts is still hitting it well."

This is some info that came from Anderson County:

"Our top two pitchers are pitching well. We lost a kid, Nate Thomas, who'd be our number three pitcher. Right now it looks like it'll either be Blake Lafferty or Daniel Newman. Mikey Mullins, a transfer from Clinton, is hitting the ball well. He can catch but he'll probably play 3B. Trinity Carroll, a senior who played SS last year might be moved to OF and a true freshman, Hunter Tackett, is getting some serious looks to start at SS, but Carroll might end up staying there and Tackett start in the OF. We'll miss the sticks of Carter Pack (1B) who is at LMU now and Taylor Foster (3B) who is at Vol State. Matthew Walker will start again at catcher. He has signed with Roane State. Bryson Roberts is still hitting it well."

There is a rumor that AC has had a couple of kids kicked off, any truth there?

There is a rumor that AC has had a couple of kids kicked off, any truth there?

I talked to Coach Downs today and he said the only dismisal off the team has been Nathan Thomas. He was their #3 Pitcher last year and it will be a big loss especially with their out of conference schedule this year. When I asked him what he did to get kicked off, he wouldn't tell me, but said it was a combination of multiple things. Other than that, they are at a full squad. He also told me they scrimmage at Farragut Monday, at home vs. Pigeon Forge Tuesday and at Tennessee Tech vs. Walker Valley on Friday. Should be a good week to see how they stand early on. They played pretty well on Wednesday at Webb.

Any scrimmage results in 3AAA? Oak Ridge looked good against Jefferson County last week with all around good pitching, defense, and hitting. OR won 10-8 in 12innings. They scrimmage CAK tonight. Sophomore Jordan Lane was lights-out for first three innings pitching, and he brought a good stick as the lead-off hitter as well. Sophomore Connor Roberts (2 innings) and Freshmen Kevin Steen (1 inning) had zero earned runs as well against a good hitting JC team, so OR pitching looks to be strong over the next two years provided they all stay healthy and continure to develop.

Any scrimmage results in 3AAA? Oak Ridge looked good against Jefferson County last week with all around good pitching, defense, and hitting. OR won 10-8 in 12innings. They scrimmage CAK tonight. Sophomore Jordan Lane was lights-out for first three innings pitching, and he brought a good stick as the lead-off hitter as well. Sophomore Connor Roberts (2 innings) and Freshmen Kevin Steen (1 inning) had zero earned runs as well against a good hitting JC team, so OR pitching looks to be strong over the next two years provided they all stay healthy and continure to develop.

I watched the first 4 innings between Anderson County and Farragut yesterday at Farragut. the score was 11-0 Farragut and Pfeifer hadn't pitched up to that point. #2 from AC pitched the first 3 innings and gave up 4 runs......#13 pitched the 4th and gave up 7 runs. Farragut then started to play all their subs after that. I do not know what happened after the 4th inning.