Referee QUestion

fivewomacks

I know there are rules in place to keep the wrestlers safe and that a referee has the authority to do what is necessary to ensure that safety. I do however question a referee attempting to belittle a wrestler once the situation has been defused. My son was wrestling and got upset because he was getting kneed in the head while he had his opponent in the cradle. The period ended and my son pushed his opponent while getting up. He was frustrated over getting kneed and although he shouldn't have pushed the other wrestler, I did understand his anger especially after viewing the tape. The referee called my son over to him and stuck his finger in his face. My son said yes sir and backed up 2 steps and placed his hands on his knees. The situation was defused at this point. This referee walked up to him again and stuck his finger in his face for a second time. He shook his finger in his face and yelled at him. This was just uncalled for. I don't feel that this was a necessary or acceptable action by an official. I was wondering how the rest of you feel about this. My son is a polite young man and a good kid. I do not feel that he deserved to be treated with such disrespect when he showed respect to this official. My husband questioned the ref after the tournament and he stated that he was right and that he was lucky our son didn't get thrown out of the tournament. I thought that was an odd statement when other behaviors, much worse than a minor push, were ignored. The head referee did apologize after viewing the tape.

I am going to take this to the board of referees for the State and will release the video if needed. I just can't believe that anyone would think this action was just, fair, or necessary.

Teresa Womack

I would not let it go.. It is not the ref's JOB to discipline these kids. That is what the coachs are for. It is however the ref's job to explane the calls. The ref was not correct if this is the case. If should have went to the coach and made his comments about the wrestler and let the coach handle it. If the REF was not going to dismiss the wrestler from the tourny he should have "LET IT GO" as Texas said earlier.

I would not let it go.. It is not the ref's JOB to discipline these kids. That is what the coachs are for. It is however the ref's job to explane the calls. The ref was not correct if this is the case. If should have went to the coach and made his comments about the wrestler and let the coach handle it. If the REF was not going to dismiss the wrestler from the tourny he should have "LET IT GO" as Texas said earlier.

I guess I missed the part where the ref disciplined the wrestler. my bad.

Well, it could be said the ref gave him a break.

If I have a kid push another kid, it is probably going to be construed as flagrant and he be disqualified.

Many times during a match I might comment to an aggressive wrestler, "that's your limit."

Now if a kid is getting kneed to the head (wrestler A) while in a pinning combination (wrestler B), chances are if he is close to getting pinned, I might not see the kneeing to the head (because it is simply not a common occurance, I am not looking for it) and I am looking for the pin. I would take a knee to the head for a pin personally, would rather have the pin and take an aspirin, but the referee is supposed to see all.

Sometimes we miss.

I might not have enough information from Ms Womack.

To observe the knee to the head, I would also have to determine if he was kicking trying to break the cradle and if he were repeatedly catching the head with the knee, I would wonder why wrestler B doesnt move his head, maybe he cant. If I see it and feel it is intentional and must be stopped, wrestler A would be penalized for unsportsmanlike, perhaps flagrant misconduct. But I wonder should wrestler B also be awarded bonus points (2 count = 2 pts NF +1 bonus pt, 5 count = 3 pts NF + 1 bonus pt)? I'll take this up with the braintrust and get it back to the thread.

Ms Womack go here and see if you can send the video to it. Its our new website and we actually want to eventually use it to answer or give explanation in such situations as these.

http://www.mtwoa.org/

Edited by reftn

It is absolutely the ref's job to discipline these kids. What do you think the rules are for? Everytime we blow the whistle some form of discipline is taking place. The coach has them all week to impose his discipline. For six minutes its mine.

It may be the manner in which it takes place is at issue. I have had issues with my fellow referees who were "over" assisting me on a match :!:

I dont like the idea of using a finger to make a point. I have had kids just about get out of hand, brought them back to the middle and likely pointed a finger at them, telling them to settle down. A finger pointed at you beats a finger pointing you off the mat (dq).

If I have a kid push another kid, it is probably going to be construed as flagrant and he be disqualified.

Many times during a match I might comment to an aggressive wrestler, "that's your limit."

Now if a kid is getting kneed to the head (wrestler A) while in a pinning combination (wrestler B), chances are if he is close to getting pinned, I might not see the kneeing to the head (because it is simply not a common occurance, I am not looking for it) and I am looking for the pin. I would take a knee to the head for a pin personally, would rather have the pin and take an aspirin, but the referee is supposed to see all.

Sometimes we miss.

To observe the knee to the head, I would also have to determine if he was kicking trying to break the cradle and if he were repeatedly catching the head with the knee, I would wonder why wrestler B doesnt move his head, maybe he cant. If I see it and feel it is intentional and must be stopped, wrestler A would be penalized for unsportsmanlike, perhaps flagrant misconduct. But I wonder should wrestler B also be awarded bonus points (2 count = 2 pts NF +1 bonus pt, 3 count = 3 pts NF + 1 bonus pt)? I'll take this up with the braintrust and get it back to the thread.

Ms Womack go here and see if you can send the video to it. Its our new website and we actually want to eventually use it to answer or give explanation in such situations as these.

3 count=3 points?????????

The facts were that the situation was defused at the point when the referee repeatedly shook his finger in my sons face and yelled at him. He continued to do so even after my son stepped back. I agree the push when getting up was wrong but it didn't warrant the referee trying to belittle him. This was not an offense that was flagrant enough to get him kicked out as you might be imagining. My son is a good and respectful kid. I just thought he deserved as much respect as he gave that referee. He is only 15 and I can understand him losing his cool briefly but for a man who is supposed to be in control of what happens on his mat to lose it and then feel that it is okay just because he CAN...well, that is wrong. I don't expect referees to be perfect but I do expect them to be held accountable and if the head referee saw the tape and was upset by what he saw, then he too must have felt the referee went overboard. He even felt the need to apologize for the incident.

Sometimes we miss.

To observe the knee to the head, I would also have to determine if he was kicking trying to break the cradle and if he were repeatedly catching the head with the knee, I would wonder why wrestler B doesnt move his head, maybe he cant. If I see it and feel it is intentional and must be stopped, wrestler A would be penalized for unsportsmanlike, perhaps flagrant misconduct. But I wonder should wrestler B also be awarded bonus points (2 count = 2 pts NF +1 bonus pt, 3 count = 3 pts NF + 1 bonus pt)? I'll take this up with the braintrust and get it back to the thread.

THANKS FOR SHARING INFO ABOUT YOUR WEBSITE. IT IS A GOOD ONE.

THE ANIMAL