Pounders Win Chattanooga Central Invitational

bbb

On the strength of two champions and nine overall medalists, host Chattanooga Central captured the 42nd annual Central Invitational Saturday.

Rallying from third place and trailing leader Arab (Ala.) by 24.5 points after the championship semis, the Purple Pounders battled back through the consolations semis to gain three, thirds and three fourths.

Central finished with 168.50 points ahead of runner-up Buckhorn (165.50) and third place finisher and three-time defending champ Arab (162.50) in the 19-team field.

“I have told our guys that doing well in consolation matches wins championships,†said Central coach Steve Price. “Our good showing in the consolations won us the Knox. Catholic tourney in December and our tourney today.â€

The title-clinching match was Pounder Antonio Brooks’ pin for third place at 215 worth four team points as he stopped Zech Kaser (Hardin Valley) in 3:49. Prior to that match, Buckhorn, who had no wrestlers alive in the final two weights (215, 285), led Central by one, at 165.50-164.50, with Arab in third with 162.50.

Arab’s Levi Harper (285) lost in the championship finals.

Central champions were No.3 seed Zac Fordham (140) who stopped No.1 seed Zach Sharp of Red Bank, 4-2, while at 152, No.2 seed Larry Dickerson registered a major decision against unseeded Tim Vara (Hardin Valley).

Arab seemed in control of the tourney with five in the championship finals and three in the consolation finals, but won only one of those eight matches – Cary Pierce claimed the 215 crown.

Buckhorn had three champions (125, 130, 189) and two thirds, but could have won it all with third place finishes at 135 and 171, but lost both conso finals.

Battling Back: Brooks was the No.1 seed at 215 and 16-0 entering this weekend, but lost on a defensive pin to Delvonte Calvin (Red Bank) in the championship semis … a wrestler he had beaten last week … Brooks then decisioned Dylan Bryant (David Crockett ), 9-2, in the conso semis … Bryant beat Brooks in the state tournament last year to knock him out of the tourney … Brooks then pinned Zech Kaser (Hardin Valley), 9-2 for third.

“Antonio did a great job for us in the consolations after pinning himself in the semis when he was in control of that match,†said coach Price. “That says a lot about character and heart and the will to win.â€

Other Key Central Wins: at 112, B.J. Rice won by technical fall and major dec. in the consolations to take third … at 130, Logan Griffith had a pin and decision in the consolations to also take third … at 285, Central’s Zac Calhoun dec. Buckhorn’s Marlen Morgan, 2-1, in the consolation semis and took fourth …

Three Titles: Central has won the Knox. Catholic, Lookout Valley and Central tournaments and is 20-1 on the season, with the only setback to Science Hill … Central competes in the Arab tourney next week … The Pounders point to the week of Jan. 17 as the key to reaching the A/AA state duals … Central takes on East Hamilton, East Ridge and Notre Dame in a four-day stretch … the regular season region winner advances to the state at the Ag Center in Franklin.

Mackey Brothers: Most wrestling fans are familiar with Baylor state champion and Furman bound John Mackey (285), but few know of younger brother, Josh Mackey, who also tips the scales at 285 for Silverdale Baptist.

John is a senior who will play football for the Southern Conference Paladins next fall, while Josh is a junior for the Eagles and coach Ricky Johnson.

Josh, a two-time D-I state qualifier, has a 20-2 win-loss worksheet this season.

Their mat careers began at Senter School as first graders before going to different middle schools; John to Baylor and Josh to Silverdale.

Josh’s goal is to win a state title this season to go along with a grammar school city-county championship, and hopefully walk on the mat for the finals as big brother does the same on the adjacent mat with the D-II title on the line.

The Mackey Face-Off: Yes, the brothers have met – rassle royal at Baylor on Dec. 28 - with the Red Raider gaining a third period fall, but with plenty of fireworks from the opening whistle.

Josh hip-tossed the elder Mackey to his back and a 5-0 lead, which evolved into a 12-12 tie before rhe pin.

“When I put him on his back, I said to myself ‘maybe I finally have him’â€, said Josh who is 0-2 to older brother, also falling short when they were in grade school.

Josh’s only other loss this season was a first round forfeit at the Ooltewah tourney, due to arriving late after attending Saturday school ... Mackey breezed through the consolations to a third place finish and also won the Lookout Valley Yellow Jacket Invitational Dec. 18, held at Central and now the Central Invitational medal.

Oldest Traditional: The oldest traditional tourney in the state – the Central Invitational – was the brainchild of former Red Bank and Central coach Dr. John Farr … the inaugural tourney was held Dec. 29-30, 1967 as the Red Bank Invitational

… Red Bank won the first event, while Central finished last in the five-team event with one champion in Glen Rievely (105) who would win the first of two state title that February … the tourney moved to early January in 1969 for the second annual event won by Father Ryan ... and has been at this time of year … The tournament name changed to Central Invitational when coach Farr became the Pounders coach …

Pounder M&Ms: Can you name all the colors of candy found in a plain M&Ms bag ... ?

One needs to add at least three more colors ... purple, gold and white … a smart marketing tool, by the Mars Company, as special-ordered, school or company-colored M&MS can be produced for a higher price than the standard-colored M&Ms …

The Pounder-colored M&Ms were available in the tournament hospitality room, along with a good array of lunch foods and desserts for coaches, workers, officials and media.

Original Five Colors: red, yellow, brown, green, violet ….. tan (no longer produced), orange and bright blue were later additions ...

Unseeded But Tough: Hardin Valley’s 152-pounder Tim Vara pinned Nos. 1 and 4 seeds on the way to the finals ... Vara stopped No.1 Jake Nicholson (East Hamilton) in 3:55 in the quarters and No.4 Chase Currier (Arab) in 3:25 in the semis …

Something Had to Give: … at 160 finals, both wrestlers had registered two falls and a tech fall in reaching the championship tilt .. Hardin Valley’s Tim Vara (unseeded) knocked off Nos.1&4, while Central’s No.2 Larry Dickerson tech falled No.3 Peyton Williams (Red Bank) in the semis ...

Vara’s run of upset wins ended in the finals as No.2 Dickerson posted a major decision triumph.

Quick Work: Tyner junior DeAngelo James is 25-0 with 19 pins, five forfeit wins and only one decision … James pinned all three opponents in this tournament, with a 17-second fall against Jacob Wolfe (East Hamilton) as the quickest in the quarterfinals.

Good Seeding: Six, No. 1 seeds won a title … four other top seeds were runners-up … four No.2’s were champs and one No.2 was second … the only, non-top four seed to win was Kenny Campbell (Christian Academy of Knox.) who beat No.3, No.2 and No. 1 seeds, in order, to win it all ...

… Nine schools had at least one champ, with Buckhorn leading the way with three ... 16 of the 19 teams had at least one medalist.

Tourney Awards:

*Most Pins: (4) C.T. Leavell (Farragut)

*Best Match: 140: Zac Fordham (Central) dec. Zach Sharp (Red Bank), 4-2

*Outstanding Wrestler: DeAngelo James (Tyner) at 112 … three pins

2011 Chattanooga Central Invitational

Team Standings: 1. Central (168.50) 2. Buckhorn (165.50) 3. Arab (162.50) 4. Red Bank (132.50) 5. Alcoa (95) 6. Harpeth (92) 7. East Ridge (79.50) 8. Hardin Valley (72.50) 9. David Crockett (67) 10. Tyner (63) 11. East Hamilton (47.50) 12. Silverdale Baptist (44) 13. Howard (43) 14. Farragut (31) 15. Sale Creek (30) 16. Christian Academy of Knoxville (21) 17. Chattanooga Christian (12) 18. Sequatchie County (7) 19. Brainerd (6)

Championships Finals:

103: No.1 Chris Palacio (RB) pinned Cedrick Ricks (Howard), 1:47

112: No.1 DeAngelo James (Tyner) pinned No.3 B.J. Hayes (Arab), 2:30

119: No.3 Dakota Ray (Alcoa) pinned No.4 Austin Oman (Hardin Valley). 4:41

125: No.1 Ben Smith (Buckhorn) pinned Colt Grace (Arab), 3:15

130: No.1 Corey Parker (Buckhorn) pinned Raffy Agulera (East Ridge), 1:58

135: No.2 Julian Ramirez (Alcoa) dec. No.4 Matthew Thomas (David Crockett), 2-0

140: No.3 Zac Fordham (Central) dec. No.1 Zach Sharp (Red Bank), 4-2

145: No.1 Logan Sharp (Red Bank) dec. No.2 Jacob Lampley (Harpeth), 16-10

152: No.2 Larry Dickerson (Central) major dec. Tim Vara (Hardin Valley), 13-2

160: Kenny Campbell (Christian Acad. Knoxville) dec. No.1 Gauge Parks, 2-0

171: No.2 Nathan Davis (Sale Creek) dec. No.1 Blake Suttles, 14-11

189: No.1 Jared Bronaugh (Buckhorn) dec. Sam Sledge (Central), 7-6

215: No.3 Cary Pierce (Arab) pinned No.4 Delvonte Calvin (Red Bank), 1:09

285: No.2 Josh Mackey (Silverdale Baptist) dec. No.1 Levi Harper, 11-4

Consolation Finals:

103: Brent Carr (Buckhorn) dec. Lane Morrow (Arab), 6-3

112: B.J. Rice (Central) major dec. Camron Cox (Hardin Valley), 12-2

119: Phil Grays (Red Bank) pinned Logan Duckett (Central), 12-6

125: Levon Miller (Red Bank) dec. Jackson Beggs (Hardin Valley), 8-5

130: Logan Griffith (Central) dec. Ricky Vasquez (Alcoa), 3-0

135: Damean Sawyer (Harpeth) forfeit win vs. Christian Harrison (Buckhorn) Harrison already had five matches prior to conso finals ... wrestlers are not allowed six matches in one day.

140: Jake Gord (Buckhorn) forfeit win vs. Jose Ramirez (Alcoa) ... five match rule

145: Antonio Walton (Tyner) major dec. Michael Frazey (Central), 13-5

152: Jake Nicholson (East Hamilton) dec. Chase Currier (Arab), 6-3

160: David Vaigneur (Hardin Valley) forfeit win vs. Jeremiah Rogers (David Crockett) ... five match rule

171: Ethan Shamblin (Silverdale Baptist) pinned Dustin Etheridge (Buckhorn), 1:30

189: Brandon Cantrell (East Ridge) major dec. Kai Rogers (Arab), 10-2

215: Antonio Brooks (Central) pinned Zech Kaser (Hardin Valley), 3:49

285: C.T. Leavell (Farragut) pinned Zac Calhoun (Central), :56

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Britton ???? B.B. you change your last name or am I behind times and there is a new pencil pusher in town?

Nice job pounders...

bcb iii :flower:

Ha my mistake, sorry Mr. BRANTON, must have partaken one sip too many out of the gold trophy, understandable when you are a POUNDER these days.

THE Ctm

Edited by scottmike

WHATS GOING ON WITH CENTRAL?? THESE GUYS HAVE LEARNED TO WRESTLE. HOW DID THEY GET SO GOOD IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS??

Its due to a solid youth program and YouthCoach16 over the last several years. Mr. Youthcoach16 has several wrestlers that he coached growing up on the squad. Too bad that youth program is no longer in existance and YouthCoach16 has moved on to another program in town. Ive heard that the current staff at the C doesnt think a solid youth program has anything to due with how good their program will be in the future. I can tell you now, solid youth programs are where solid high school teams are formed. That is why your Baylors, McCallie, Bradley's, Cleveland's and Soddy's will produce more state champions and championship teams over the next several years.

Its due to a solid youth program and YouthCoach16 over the last several years. Mr. Youthcoach16 has several wrestlers that he coached growing up on the squad. Too bad that youth program is no longer in existance and YouthCoach16 has moved on to another program in town. Ive heard that the current staff at the C doesnt think a solid youth program has anything to due with how good their program will be in the future. I can tell you now, solid youth programs are where solid high school teams are formed. That is why your Baylors, McCallie, Bradley's, Cleveland's and Soddy's will produce more state champions and championship teams over the next several years.

While I agree that a solid youth program is important, that can attribute to about 5% of the current success Central is having. The other 95% can be attributed to several other things.

#1) Coach Price who is wise and humble and resourceful enough to get great assistants

#2) Joey Knox VOLUNTEER assitant that wrestled at UTC and was highly ranked in the nation before injury

#3) Josh Edmunds VOLUNTEER assistant that was a very successful UTC wrestler.

#4) They make sure many of the kids workout in the offseason at UTC.

If kids are successful in the kids programs they are snatched up by the privates

PS they also have another very capable assistant but I can't remember his name.

While I agree that a solid youth program is important, that can attribute to about 5% of the current success Central is having. The other 95% can be attributed to several other things.

#1) Coach Price who is wise and humble and resourceful enough to get great assistants

#2) Joey Knox VOLUNTEER assitant that wrestled at UTC and was highly ranked in the nation before injury

If kids are successful in the kids programs they are snatched up by the privates

I agree with all of this also RussianBear. The C does have 2 great assistant coaches and there wrestlers have made a commitment to a year around program also. I agreee with your statement about successful wrestlers do get snatched up by the privates, but not all. A great youth program can bring great excitement and keep light on the program from the ground up.

Price :roflol: the only reason central looks good on paper is solely because of the asst.coaches and because they haven't wrestled ANYBODY and by that I mean "NOBODY!"..Looks like they are gonna dodge a another bullet(as in a loss)due to the weather,the match between Ooltewah won't happen.coach price :roflol: wheww!!

Edited by FatSak

This is TRUE... But,,, That is why your Baylors, McCallie, Bradley's, Cleveland's, Soddy's, and may I add CB & Ryan will produce more state champions and championship teams over the next several years.

Edited by Sommers

I know Joey and Josh are Great wrestlers. Coach price has to be a great Salesman to get these guys to volunteer their time. What a great oppurtunity for the Central wrestlers. I am really glad Joey and Josh are helping Central level the playing field for these kids who compete against programs with several paid coaches. GO CENTRAL