7AAA - Time to talk baseball

govols10

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GoVols...glad you started this topic. I'm ready for some baseball!

My thoughts on how 7AAA will fare...

1. Oakland

2. Blackman

3. Riverdale

4. Siegel

5. Smyrna

6. Lavergne

Any of the top three could change places. I see a lot more parity in the district this year, with Oakland having a slight edge. First of all, they're loaded with seniors...12 in that senior class. I see a senior at every position, with maybe one exception. Pitching is deep, too, with lots of experience.

Blackman has a few guns, and Riverdale too. Siegel may surprise some some people, depending on how a few kids step up. And, if anyone is a sleeper this year, it could be Smyrna. They're a tough bunch and they're well-coached. They could be in the mix at the end of the season.

Players to watch:

Blackman - Wiel (Vandy), Vondohlen (Freed Hardeman)

Riverdale - Frebis (MTSU), King

Oakland - Fann, Moore (Lipscomb), Hull (If Stevie Smith is back, and I've heard he's ahead of schedule, he'll be a nice addition to the pitching staff)

Siegel - Coley, Taylor, Fullerton (Miss. State), Pearson

Not sure about Smyrna. I know the kids, just don't know their names.

It'll be an interesting season. I don't think anyone will go through the district undefeated, and there will be some good matchups between Tuesday night starters. As it stands now, though, my money is on Oakland.

GoVols...glad you started this topic. I'm ready for some baseball!

My thoughts on how 7AAA will fare...

1. Oakland

2. Blackman

3. Riverdale

4. Siegel

5. Smyrna

6. Lavergne

Any of the top three could change places. I see a lot more parity in the district this year, with Oakland having a slight edge. First of all, they're loaded with seniors...12 in that senior class. I see a senior at every position, with maybe one exception. Pitching is deep, too, with lots of experience.

Blackman has a few guns, and Riverdale too. Siegel may surprise some some people, depending on how a few kids step up. And, if anyone is a sleeper this year, it could be Smyrna. They're a tough bunch and they're well-coached. They could be in the mix at the end of the season.

Players to watch:

Blackman - Wiel (Vandy), Vondohlen (Freed Hardeman)

Riverdale - Frebis (MTSU), King

Oakland - Fann, Moore (Lipscomb), Hull (If Stevie Smith is back, and I've heard he's ahead of schedule, he'll be a nice addition to the pitching staff)

Siegel - Coley, Taylor, Fullerton (Miss. State), Pearson

Not sure about Smyrna. I know the kids, just don't know their names.

It'll be an interesting season. I don't think anyone will go through the district undefeated, and there will be some good matchups between Tuesday night starters. As it stands now, though, my money is on Oakland.

Southpaw - when haven't you put your money on Oakland?

I see it a little different - here goes.

1. Riverdale - due to the fact they seem to do more with less. Frebis and King should be dominant - who will be their #3?

2. Blackman - scrappy squad with a coach that seems to like to win close games.

3. Siegel - can't pitch around Pearson and Fullerton and Kosinski and Lewis and Holland and... Their issue will be pitching depth - I think pitching will come around by the end of the year.

4. Oakland - simply because you put them #4! No, they have Moore - Stevie will be a tuff call. They have arms to fill in but, well, can be hit. Again, tuff squad with a seasoned coach.

5. Smyrna

6. Lavergne

Any of the top 4 could win it - again pitching will be the deciding point. Who will step up and answer the call?

MeepMeep!!!

Southpaw - when haven't you put your money on Oakland?

I see it a little different - here goes.

1. Riverdale - due to the fact they seem to do more with less. Frebis and King should be dominant - who will be their #3?

2. Blackman - scrappy squad with a coach that seems to like to win close games.

3. Siegel - can't pitch around Pearson and Fullerton and Kosinski and Lewis and Holland and... Their issue will be pitching depth - I think pitching will come around by the end of the year.

4. Oakland - simply because you put them #4! No, they have Moore - Stevie will be a tuff call. They have arms to fill in but, well, can be hit. Again, tuff squad with a seasoned coach.

5. Smyrna

6. Lavergne

Any of the top 4 could win it - again pitching will be the deciding point. Who will step up and answer the call?

MeepMeep!!!

MeepMeep -

My money was on Blackman the last 2 years. Go back and look at my posts!

Here's where I disagree with you...

Riverdale - has one dominant pitcher in Frebis. King is above average, but, in my opinion, he doesn't meet your description of him. They've got a few good sticks who could or could not have a good year.

Blackman - I agree, they are a scrappy squad and their coach always has them ready to play. There's a couple of intangibles going on right now that could influence their season.

Siegel - there's no need to pitch around a couple of those you mentioned. I only see three on that list that are legit. I'm not dissing the other ones you listed, it's just that every team in the district has players of their caliber.

Oakland - yes they have the arms, and they have several senior pitchers, and, yes, they can be hit. I just see them deeper than everyone else who has the same types of pitchers who are good and can be hit.

There's not a dime's worth of difference in Blackman, Riverdale and Oakland.

Again, my money's on Oakland!

Thanks for getting this going and good analysis. I think that your comment on parity is dead on. This could be one of the toughest districts in the state and anyone's to win. The question is going to be pitching depth. Each team in this district has a strength.

I think Riverdale has the best pitching depth, Blackman the best line up, Siegel the best defense, Oakland the best overall with a senior heavy team. Smyrna is most under rated team and will be one to watch. They are very scrapy and I hear they added a 2nd baseman from Blackman. I know the least about Lavergne other than that they are a very young team.

It will be almost impossible to go undefeated in this district. It is going to be some fun games to watch. The season can't get here fast enough!!!

Thanks for getting this going and good analysis. I think that your comment on parity is dead on. This could be one of the toughest districts in the state and anyone's to win. The question is going to be pitching depth. Each team in this district has a strength.

I think Riverdale has the best pitching depth, Blackman the best line up, Siegel the best defense, Oakland the best overall with a senior heavy team. Smyrna is most under rated team and will be one to watch. They are very scrapy and I hear they added a 2nd baseman from Blackman. I know the least about Lavergne other than that they are a very young team.

It will be almost impossible to go undefeated in this district. It is going to be some fun games to watch. The season can't get here fast enough!!!

Thanks and I agree with your snopsis of the teams. One question does come to mind though. Will the second baseman going to Smyrna be eligible to play this year? If he played any varsity at Blackman then he will have to sit out varsity for one year from the last game he played right? Can you comment on that situation? Thanks!

MeepMeep!

Thanks and I agree with your snopsis of the teams. One question does come to mind though. Will the second baseman going to Smyrna be eligible to play this year? If he played any varsity at Blackman then he will have to sit out varsity for one year from the last game he played right? Can you comment on that situation? Thanks!

MeepMeep!

That is a good question and from what I have heard, yes. I really don't know how that worked out. It would be unfair to post what I have heard on the reasons for this because I am not sure if it is accurate.

Edited by govols10

That is a good question and from what I have heard, yes. I really don't know how that worked out. It would be unfair to post what I have heard on the reasons for this because I am not sure if it is accurate.

Thanks for the update and please explain when you can.

Southpaw - what are the "intangibles" you refer to concerning Blackman?

BTW - Sam Lewis also signed with FH. Congrats to Sam! Several others on Siegel are close to getting their papers in order. I've also heard that Oakland will have several - 7AAA players are being sought after. Good job guys!

MeepMeep!

If the player moved he doesnt have to sit if he is still living in the same house he will have to sit a year